NBC Sports Edge Forums

Is it a good strategy to intentionally leave a starting position without a player?

There are times I have a player in a slump or a borderline cut that is the only player available at a position to start when the opposing pitcher is an ace. 

Is it good strategy to leave the spot open to avoid the 0-4?   9 times out of ten that is the outcome.  There are never any surprise outcomes.

I've played a lot of fantasy and considered what you've mentioned many times myself. I've typically always plugged in the bats I have, knowing against Grom or Bieber types they aren't likely to do much.  Usually you're right though it ends up hurting you more often than doing any good. 

There have been times I benched a bat vs an ace, especially in a head to head match where I might be neck to neck in betting average. Usually in cases like that it's worked in my favor. Although there could be other categories where I'm within a point or two of winning or losing, which I then put my hitter in and hope to at least get a single hit, run, rbi. 

For me it's situational to bench a struggling bat or not. Right now I have guys like Chapman and Dansby that couldn't get a hit if their life depended on it. I try to keep a Solano or Arraez type rostered, someone who plays lots of positions and hits for average so I can spell slumping bats or when they face an ace. 

• Like 1

Also depends on what type of league it is I suppose. My league is a H2H league, and I have done this plenty of times (mainly on Sundays.) Before you do it though, you need to take a good look at where you are for the week. For example, you have a hitter left to go in the Sunday night game. You are ahead in runs, RBIs, down a couple of home runs, and barely ahead in AVG and OPS. Here, you figure you're hitter isn't going to hit 3 bombs to win HRs for the week, and you would be gambling your AVG and OPS leads to try to steal that category. You obviously would want to bench your hitter. Unless you are in some crazy position where you need to steal that HR category to make the playoffs or something, which does happen almost annually in my league for one team or another. You can tweak the above example a hundred different ways, but it will always come down to probability, and what categories you could steal vs what categories you could lose. Just my 2 cents.

Depends on the rules of the league.  I know I am in a few long standing leagues that frown upon leaving active roster spots open.  I myself think that you should have to fill each roster spot with a player.  It can be a IL player, a player who is off that day, or someone not even in the major leagues but there should not be any open roster spots.  If the league allows it then so be it you might as well us it to your advantage.

• Thanks 1

never done it outside of a close h2h matchup. after starting c santana, dozier, soler in different leagues vs lance lynn i might (not really)

rather see an 0-4 vs a bomb on the bench with open starting spots. elite sp have a sub 3 era so they dont always throw so. plus ur bat can always touch up a bullpen arm.

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 1

I'm doing it now,but not by choice.  Injuries have decarapitated me forcing me to drop my na stashes and now my bench bats.   I just dropped my catcher until I get more clarity on situations and maybe some injured guys come back.   I can already see the difference in the counting stats.

17 hours ago, B&F said:

There are times I have a player in a slump or a borderline cut that is the only player available at a position to start when the opposing pitcher is an ace. 

Is it good strategy to leave the spot open to avoid the 0-4?   9 times out of ten that is the outcome.  There are never any surprise outcomes.

It’s not 9/10 even with a bad hitter and an Ace. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

In a 5x5, you're willingly giving up anything gained in 4 categories for the potential benefit of 1 category, so while the potential benefit is there, it's small (avoid an 0/4), whereas the potential risk is huge, because you might occasionally give up a monster game. All this to say, I generally think it's a mistake.

Edited by Hanghow
  • Like 3

Tyler O'neill is struggling and he's a cut in shallow leagues (not for me), he went up against a red hot Burnes yesterday, who had a great game. Still went 1/3 with an rbi.  It's anecdotal, but I think it's overthinking it much.  Unless it's like the last game of a h2h matchup and average is close, always start.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am thinking more of a cumulative affect over the course of the season.  The usual best outcome is a 1-4 with maybe a run or RBI.  

Over 7 times during the season the cumulative stats are probably a 2-28 with a a total of 2-3 Runs/RBIs.  

In my weekly keeper league, you leave a position vacant before the start of the scoring week (first pitch Monday), you forfeit ALL stats for that week.

I try to focus, to some degree, my 3 utility spots and my bench with multiple position eligibility players to be as flexible as possible.

Edited by charger_ss24
On 4/9/2021 at 12:35 PM, B&F said:

I am thinking more of a cumulative affect over the course of the season.  The usual best outcome is a 1-4 with maybe a run or RBI.  

Over 7 times during the season the cumulative stats are probably a 2-28 with a a total of 2-3 Runs/RBIs.  

In a brilliant deGrom performance today, four of eight marlins hitters put up a line of 1/4 with a R/RBI or better.

I started Garret Cooper vs Jacob deGrom today.  0-4 with no counting stats. 

For the next month I am going to bench hitters against good pitchers and report back with the statistics I missed.

I benched Happ, Baez, and Jason Heyward on Wednesday vs. Burnes leaving open spots in my lineup.  Saved myself a 2-10. No counting statistics. 

I have not had time to record previous days this week but I know I have saved BA losses while losing minimal counting stats.

I know it is early but I have moved from 10th in BA to 5th in less than a week.  Some of my other hitters have had good weeks AVG wise but even taking that into consideration it is seeming like a viable strategy.  Will post back later.

On 4/8/2021 at 3:03 PM, B&F said:

If you think the chances of them hurting your score is over 50% then yes.  Why do something that has a probable chance to hurt your team?  If it's Sunday and AVG is already won or lost then there is no reason to sit a player since you're only trying to get counting stats.

On 4/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, Hanghow said:

In a 5x5, you're willingly giving up anything gained in 4 categories for the potential benefit of 1 category, so while the potential benefit is there, it's small (avoid an 0/4), whereas the potential risk is huge, because you might occasionally give up a monster game. All this to say, I generally think it's a mistake.

This.  In H2h it is may be OK depending on the match up and where you  are in a week, but generally you do not want to concede 3 or 4 counting categories for an insignificant 4 AB ding on your avg.  Obviously, if the player sucks so bad for too long, you need to look to replace them.

11 hours ago, B&F said:

I benched Happ, Baez, and Jason Heyward on Wednesday vs. Burnes leaving open spots in my lineup.  Saved myself a 2-10. No counting statistics. 

I have not had time to record previous days this week but I know I have saved BA losses while losing minimal counting stats.

I know it is early but I have moved from 10th in BA to 5th in less than a week.  Some of my other hitters have had good weeks AVG wise but even taking that into consideration it is seeming like a viable strategy.  Will post back later.

Curious to see what your overall results are but avoiding a 2/10 strikes me as a very small victory and not worth the risk. Will stay tuned...

On 4/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, Hanghow said:

This.

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

Curious to see what your overall results are but avoiding a 2/10 strikes me as a very small victory and not worth the risk. Will stay tuned...

I will set up a spreadsheet.  Here are others the past few days.

VS Woodruff : Saved 2-12, Lost 1 run

VS McCullers : Saved 0-4, Lost 1 run

I am guessing over the course of a season I gain 4 BA standings points and lose 1 point somewhere else.  

I am certainly not benching good players.  As for missing out on players facing bullpens the aces usually leave the game ahead or close meaning the good relievers are in the game.  Not the mop up guys.

• Like 1