NBC Sports Edge Forums

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Olson hit .259, .247, and .267 in 2017-19. I am not a bit worried about whether he’ll hit in the .250-.260 range or not. And I’m not even worried about last year and put very little stock in it. Your inference that he’s a guy who hits between .200-.240 is just patently false, unless you want to count the covid season...which most people just toss in the trash. 

As fas as Moran, if you want to start him ahead of Olson, be my guest. I play in daily leagues and wouldn’t even consider starting Moran over Olson. And I know he was just an example, but for me Olson is a guy I’d plug in and leave alone. I know what I’m expecting, which is 160 games of .255-85-40-100, and if I’m an owner of his, I’ve built my roster expecting that. So he’s slumping...all hitters slump. I’m not going to worry about trying to guess when hitters are going to slump or go on a streak, and I’m definitely not going to worry about his production after 8 days. 

I mean everything you said is obvious but very well spoken. Gonna quote just because there's so much truth. Every fantasy baseball player should read this.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you really understand that it's a long season, then you wouldn't bother to cite a player's individual stats after his team has played 8 out of 162 games.  To do so would be akin to judging a footba

I think we're talking about a lot more than potential considering Olson's HR totals in each of the last 4 seasons have been 24, 29, 36, and 14, the latter of which would pro-rate out to around 35 in a

Confirmed.

19 hours ago, summersoff7 said:

Is this guy going to hit a home run this year?

Confirmed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
20 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Borderline droppable. Potential is just that, potential. If you can’t put it together then what does it matter? other options on the waiver wire are flying off to teams and people with Olson are gonna be stuck with him while waiting on his potential.

this did not age well

• Like 1

The A's have also faced some very good pitching teams (Astros, Dodgers). After another series against the Astros they go against ARI and DET. Be short sighted to drop with the week coming up.

Posted (edited)

3 runs, 1 HR, 3 RBI last week.

hoping for a better week this week.

9 hours ago, strahanfan92 said:

Another HR today, 7 on the year and batting .296. Droppable.

depends on your league size, settings, and who is available. 

On 4/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, swfcdan said:

Sounds like it was DerrickHenrysCleats .

He's back to where we expected him to be now. Only takes a hot week to get you back on track.

and an injury or a cold week to drop you back down.

Hopefully he can get back into some games soon. It hurts to leave an empty 1B slot for all his injured days. The occasional HR is nice though, I must admit.

Edited by tonycpsu
Posts merged. Use the MultiQuote feature to respond to multiple comments.
13 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Hopefully he can get back into some games soon. It hurts to leave an empty 1B slot for all his injured days. The occasional HR is nice though, I must admit.

He played yesterday and his a hr.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Sure...in leagues that don’t count BA or HR or RBI or R or OBP. The man is hitting .314/.375-14-7-19 through May 2. The only leagues he’a droppable in are 4-team leagues or those that only count SBs. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

There's is no league size or type where Matt Olson is droppable. There wasn't when he was struggling before when you suggested it and there certainly isn't now when he's raking. Also league wide batting average is way down this year, which means he's probably not even going to hurt you in that category. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Are you serious? In what leagues is Matt Olson droppable? How many teams, categories, etc. Genuinely curious, please enlighten us.

8 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Are you serious? In what leagues is Matt Olson droppable? How many teams, categories, etc. Genuinely curious, please enlighten us.

Ive talked about it plenty if you are interested in reading the thread.

18 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Ive talked about it plenty if you are interested in reading the thread.

Sorry. I'm not a big fan of fiction. 

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Obviously, any player is "droppable" if a better player hits the waiver wire in a given league, but the number of leagues where a 1B with a better ROS outlook than Matt Olson will hit the wire is vanishingly small.  He's the #6 1B in standard 5x5 roto right now.  He can cool off significantly and still recoup his draft day cost, or he could keep doing roughly what he's doing and be a top 5 option at the position.  Either way, this moving of the goalposts renders the word "droppable" meaningless. 

• Like 3
On 4/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Colin Moran from the Pirates has 4 runs, 2 HRs, 3 RBI, 4 BB, 11 SO .280 BA, .979 OPS in 29 PA

Matt Olson has 1 run, 0 HRs, 1 RBI, 3 BB, 8 SO, .190 BA and a .558 OPS. 

Let's check their numbers now.

Moran:  9 R, 4 HR, 19 RBI, .287 BA, .831 OPS in 105 PA

Olson: 14 R, 7 HR, 19 RBI, .314 BA, 1.003 OPS in 96 PA

In CBS H-2H scoring Olson has 113 points (#7 1B), Moran 88 (#16 1B). For more context, Olson is a HR away from being the #2 1B.

5 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Let's check their numbers now.

Moran:  9 R, 4 HR, 19 RBI, .287 BA, .831 OPS in 105 PA

Olson: 14 R, 7 HR, 19 RBI, .314 BA, 1.003 OPS in 96 PA

In CBS H-2H scoring Olson has 113 points (#7 1B), Moran 88 (#16 1B). For more context, Olson is a HR away from being the #2 1B.

All looks accurate. I’ve never lobbied Moran straight up over Olson. Moran is just an example of someone available on waivers. 

I don’t mind people quoted me and wagging their fingers if it helps turn Olson’s season around. 

9 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

All looks accurate. I’ve never lobbied Moran straight up over Olson. Moran is just an example of someone available on waivers. 

I don’t mind people quoted me and wagging their fingers if it helps turn Olson’s season around. 

I think the Olson vs. Moran thing shows why you favor players with proven track records over an average player on a hot streak, especially now they were are again having a 162 season, not a 60 game season.

Olson is 99% owned in CBS, 98% in ESPN. You would have to be in a 4 team league to even consider not having him owned, and even then he would warrant a bench spot (assuming 25 players per team).

• Like 2

Dude seems to come back from injury on fire. Hope he keeps it up.  It's kinda frustrating that he plays on the west coast. When he's DTD you don't know when he is back until it's too late.

43 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I can assure you that nothing that happens on these forums has any effect on the performance of actual baseball players.

• Haha 1