NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Matt Olson 2021 Outlook

Why is Olson even discussed as a drop candidate? Hate to be harsh but that’s absurd. I see a lot of concern in threads about players- recently saw one asking what happened to Laureano after his hot start. 
baseball is a long season and II understand you have to make decisions with roster space limitations In mind but guys like Olson should not be in the conversation. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The power is no surprise, but that 17% strikeout rate came out of nowhere. That's an elite skill combo - the only guy in MLB with a lower K% and higher average exit velocity than him this season is Vlad Jr.

If he can keep the strikeouts under 20%, he'll continue to have a good batting average and be a four-category monster.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

First rounder next year?

Very intriguing question. I would say top 3 fore sure and can make a decent case to Rd 2. No steals so 1st is tough.

He definitely is now a high AVG 40 HR hitter though and that’s rare

1 hour ago, Jyeatbvg said:

First rounder next year?

Revisit the question near the end of the season.  If he's still doing this at the end of the season, then by all means, 1st rounder and at worst a 2nd.  I'm pretty optimistic he will still be hitting at a high level then since he's been doing this basically all season, but since this is his first elite season, I'd still want to see more first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 8:18 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

2 for 20 last week. 0 runs, 0 RBI’s.

hopefully he can get a few good games in before the All Star Break. 

OMG,  a baseball player has a bit of a slump. This guy is a fantastic hitter. His K rate is sub 20%. If he was playing in the high school field Vladdy Jr was playing in (and I like Vlad) he'd have 35 homers. Olson has played in the Roman coliseum his entire career. Oakland is horrific on hitters.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 5:18 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

2 for 20 last week. 0 runs, 0 RBI’s.

hopefully he can get a few good games in before the All Star Break. 

8 HRs since this post.

Im really surprised that the updated dynasty rankings I’m seeing don’t have Olson higher. He continues to be underrated.

Like someone mentioned earlier, a guy with this kind of power that also walks and also has a K% well under 20 is a special thing.

At this point, I’m having a hard time thinking of 20-25 hitters that I like more than him moving forward. Am I crazy?

3 minutes ago, 5catstud said:

8 HRs since this post.

Im really surprised that the updated dynasty rankings I’m seeing don’t have Olson higher. He continues to be underrated.

Like someone mentioned earlier, a guy with this kind of power that also walks and also has a K% well under 20 is a special thing.

At this point, I’m having a hard time thinking of 20-25 hitters that I like more than him moving forward. Am I crazy?

no, not crazy. 

he has really improved the batting average this year, which has vaulted him into a higher tier, IMO.

Two years ago I couldn’t have ever imagined he’d end up being the more valuable “Matt” playing for the A’s.  Chappy’s defense is still top-tier elite (ie; Platinum Glove), but Oly is also a GG who also provides consistent offense.  
The A’s probably end up trading both of them either way.