NBC Sports Edge Forums

Faced a very good offense on the road and while the ERA doesn't look pretty, he had 7 Ks, 1 BB, and a 19.8 SwStrk%.

Apparently he was using his slider (best pitch) a lot more, which some say could be due to the matchup, but maybe there is something here?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, he's young and really hasn't had a full season. He's certainly a breakout candidate this year. 

From pitcher's list  (saying he could be Dinelson Lamet)

Griffin Canning @ TOR (ND) – 5.1 IP, 4 ER, 3 Hits, 1 BBs, 7 Ks – 16 Whiffs, 33% CSW, 81 pitches.

So the WHIP and strikeouts are actually fantastic, while that ERA makes your head hurt. I love how Canning turned to sliders for half of his pitches, especially when they return a 49% CSW along the way. HOT DANG! I’m not sure he can survive at that high of a level where he’s essentially Dinelson Lametespecially when his fastball is plenty worse with 16% CSW on the night. I wish I could tell you who he faces next, but we’re in the dark about when Shohei Ohtani pitches next (stupid blister), so it could be the Royals, it could be the Twins. Yes to the former, no to the latter, maybe to the flatter. Well how you doin’ — Okay, it’s a no to the flatter.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yeah, he's young and really hasn't had a full season. He's certainly a breakout candidate this year. 

Griffin Canning @ TOR (ND) – 5.1 IP, 4 ER, 3 Hits, 1 BBs, 7 Ks – 16 Whiffs, 33% CSW, 81 pitches.

So the WHIP and strikeouts are actually fantastic, while that ERA makes your head hurt. I love how Canning turned to sliders for half of his pitches, especially when they return a 49% CSW along the way. HOT DANG! I’m not sure he can survive at that high of a level where he’s essentially Dinelson Lametespecially when his fastball is plenty worse with 16% CSW on the night. I wish I could tell you who he faces next, but we’re in the dark about when Shohei Ohtani pitches next (stupid blister), so it could be the Royals, it could be the Twins. Yes to the former, no to the latter, maybe to the flatter. Well how you doin’ — Okay, it’s a no to the flatter.

Definitely got an eye on him

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yeah, I saw this before I posted, but thought it was weird how they compared him to Lamet in a negative framing.

I’m assuming he is referring to the fact that they rely on mainly two pitches, but seeing as Lamet blew up last year, I would have thought there would ha e been a more positive spin (unless the two pitches resulted in him getting hurt, which may be true given the history of injuries that have been connected to heavy slider use).

• Like 1

I just dropped him but I plan to pick him back up. I'm an Angel fan and like the kid, but I'm on the fence about him being worth a roster spot this early. He obviously is if your pitching sucks. I think he'll be on some sort of innings limit and should be a serviceable pitcher, but I don't expect any crazy break out. Maybe like a high 3 ERA with a good amount of K's? But other pitcher pop up like that during the year all the time it seems. But he definitely has some talent. I'm going to try to pick him for his next start. 

Edited by hangin n wangin