NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ok what is the deal with this guy? I know he has high upside and I drafted him for that. But is this guy actually worth waiting for? There are other pitchers on the wire that actually start games. I also understand he's going to have an innings limit. I'm contemplating dropping him but wanted to check what everyone here thought first. 

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Triston McKenzie 2021 Outlook

I'm waiting a few weeks to see how things shake out.  They are undoubtably going to baby him a bit this year BUT Cleveland had a lot of rest days in the early going meaning they didn't have to use him.  It will be interesting to see what they do with him on 4/13 when his first scheduled start would be.  My guess is he'll get some starts this year but if they're not coming somewhat regularly or they don't let him go deep enough to qualify for the W then he's droppable. 

Unless your league is deep enough where long MRs are useful.  And better options like Kopech are gone.  

I watched him pitch the other day in relief and he looked better than his final numbers indicated. That said, I'm not sure he's worth rostering (at this point) in shallow redraft leagues. I do like his upside. Plus the guy looks like he's 14. 

In drafted him and then dropped him (redraft league) before the season started once the news broke that he wouldn't be in the rotation.

I didn't watch his once appearance vs. the Royals. But walking 4 over 3.2 IP doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in terms of scooping him back up.

My first year playing so forgive me if Im wrong but it seems pretty short sighted to drop a pitcher with as much upside as Mckenzie? It's a long season, and to be honest I thought he looked pretty decent in his first game, sure 4 walks but only gave up one run and had 5 Ks. I'm sure he'll get a solid chance to win back a full time rotation spot once the schedule is more busy as the Indians just have had a weird amount of days off so far. He's a strong hold for me as there is no pitcher on my wire with nearly as much upside and I won't consider dropping for probably the next month

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

My first year playing so forgive me if Im wrong but it seems pretty short sighted to drop a pitcher with as much upside as Mckenzie? It's a long season, and to be honest I thought he looked pretty decent in his first game, sure 4 walks but only gave up one run and had 5 Ks. I'm sure he'll get a solid chance to win back a full time rotation spot once the schedule is more busy as the Indians just have had a weird amount of days off so far. He's a strong hold for me as there is no pitcher on my wire with nearly as much upside and I won't consider dropping for probably the next month

I wouldn’t blame people who waited. Doesn’t mean you have to hold him either. It doesn’t mean it’s short sighted. I see other pitchers on the wire right now who I think will have better overall years honestly.

7 hours ago, TroutNoDoubt said:

The verdict will be tomorrow vs the White Sox.

Yup officially starting today. I'll be watching how deep they let him go closely. 

Easy bench tonight.

CHW vs LHP 

2021: 102 PA OPS .850 wRC+ 140

2020: 506 PA OPS .887 wRC+ 142

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets shelled

14 minutes ago, fingy said:

Easy bench tonight.

CHW vs LHP 

2021: 102 PA OPS .850 wRC+ 140

2020: 506 PA OPS .887 wRC+ 142

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets shelled

McKenzie is a RHP.......

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

McKenzie is a RHP.......

Thats hella awkward dude..

I keep thinking hes a lefty cuz he deals like Sale 😂

• Like 1
On 4/10/2021 at 9:35 AM, stay_woke said:

It might end up being a bad drop. But one thing I wish someone had told me when I first started fantasy baseball is not to fear the regrettable drop any more than the regrettable hold. In the end, it just depends on what's available on waivers in any given league at the moment.

FWIW though, he also walked 12 in 19 IP during spring training. And yeah I realize ST is when pitchers work on various things. But walks aren't among them.

He also seems to be on a tight innings limit. So even if he's a World Beater this season, he'll probably get shut down early.

Yeah..... I can't blame anyone for dropping. Obvious strikeout upside but his control has been awful in these first two games, it's seemed like he's thrown a pitch over the batters head in every at bat this game. 

Walks weren't a problem for him last year so hopefully it's just some nerves. I'll give him atleast one more start to figure it out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw the game yesterday and he could not find throw strikes.

Plus his FB was sitting around 90-91.

Been pretty disappointing and every start, it makes it hard to believe that he ll figure it out anytime soon, as in this season. 😬

1 hour ago, BigUnit said:

Saw the game yesterday and he could not find throw strikes.

Plus his FB was sitting around 90-91.

Been pretty disappointing and every start, it makes it hard to believe that he ll figure it out anytime soon, as in this season. 😬

He throws 90-91? Geez. I'm glad I dropped. I figured he was at least a flame thrower. I drafted him this year without doing much research about him.

19 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

One of the most unique statlines you'll ever see.

2 IP

6 Ks

1 H

4 BB

5 ER

More than slightly unique

This kid was just dropped in my AL Only league. He should have huge upside and be worth a bench stash. Walks have been bad, but in the minors, control wasn’t a problem. What do people think of him ROS? Can he right the ship?

4 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

This kid was just dropped in my AL Only league. He should have huge upside and be worth a bench stash. Walks have been bad, but in the minors, control wasn’t a problem. What do people think of him ROS? Can he right the ship?

Im still holding him in a 12 team H2H points. Im an upside guy and the only guys on my wire with similar upside are all injured guys like Sixto, Pearson, Gonsolin. He's supposed to be a control pitcher and it's the weakest part of his game right now by far so I think its reasonable to think he can turn it around. Plus with Logan Allen looking like one of the worst starters in the league right now they likely wont be sending him down anytime soon.

• Like 1

I think it is as simple as he will pitch better when the weather warms up...k rate is too good

• Like 1