NBC Sports Edge Forums

There is no such thing as zero-RB strategy

This is a place for just bluntly expressing something that should be obvious. There is no such thing as a zero-RB strategy. The concept has been completely discredited. If you agree, please chime in.

I guess that this has become a consensus opinion because the current front page article about Zero-RB in 2021 acknowledges that the strategy is basically a "worldview" (cult) not an actual way to increase your chances of winning your league. And it also admits that the strategy* only works in PPR leagues with "five or six flexes." I doubt that even this is true but it doesn't matter since the amount of people who play in leagues with those rules is basically zero.

For all that the current zero-RB article concedes defeat, there has never been an article on Rotoworld that said, simply, that zero-RB is bogus. That sucks; something so obviously useful should have been written and published, especially since they've given so much space to propping up this broken system over the years.

But where Rotoworld failed, this thread picks up the slack. It is only a place to state the obvious, that zero-RB strategy is nothing. This is not a place to defend or argue about the validity of zero-RB. It is just a safe place for people who have come to terms with the failure of this predictive model to hammer nails in its coffin, with the goal of never having to hear about anti-fragility ever, ever, ever, again.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is such a thing as a 1 RB strategy though.    all you need is king Henry.

I agree but you want to also limit risk. I honestly will never go WR/WR/TE/QB or any combination where one of the first 4 picks is not a RB. I don't care how the draft is shaping up it isn't going to

Every strategy works if you don't draft busts. Zero RB and Zero WR "strategies" are just confirmation bias. People who swear by zero RB aren't going to let you know when they have a bad season.

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, dghunter79 said:

there has never been an article on Rotoworld that (...) is (...) useful (...) written and published, (...) over the years

I quote the most interesting part.

Regarding zero-RB, I have seen smart fantasy GMs make that work. I'm not a fan, but I don't think it can be discredited completely.

• Like 1

You can make anything work! That doesn't make it a strategy.

Just start calling it zero-RB "thing I accidentally made too big a part of my identity" and stop publishing it on gambling advice websites.

I usually draft 4 rbs straight, thinking of going 5 deep this yr.  Zero rb seems like a meme that popped up 5-6 years ago when TOP tier RBs were limited and the lower tiers were pretty **** Cedric Benson Beanie Wells etc and TOP WR were putting up big numbers AB Jordy nelson megatron julio .. basically there were more top tier wrs than rbs.

Never used it, never seen it used, never seen it win.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dghunter79 said:

This is a place for just bluntly expressing something that should be obvious. There is no such thing as a zero-RB strategy. The concept has been completely discredited. If you agree, please chime in.

I guess that this has become a consensus opinion because the current front page article about Zero-RB in 2021 acknowledges that the strategy is basically a "worldview" (cult) not an actual way to increase your chances of winning your league. And it also admits that the strategy* only works in PPR leagues with "five or six flexes." I doubt that even this is true but it doesn't matter since the amount of people who play in leagues with those rules is basically zero.

For all that the current zero-RB article concedes defeat, there has never been an article on Rotoworld that said, simply, that zero-RB is bogus. That sucks; something so obviously useful should have been written and published, especially since they've given so much space to propping up this broken system over the years.

But where Rotoworld failed, this thread picks up the slack. It is only a place to state the obvious, that zero-RB strategy is nothing. This is not a place to defend or argue about the validity of zero-RB. It is just a safe place for people who have come to terms with the failure of this predictive model to hammer nails in its coffin, with the goal of never having to hear about anti-fragility ever, ever, ever, again.

You made this post/thread as a safe place for people who share your opinion? Okay, lol. If you think this thread won’t draw those who will defend zero RB, you’ve deluded yourself. 

And for the record, I’ve never employed zero RB and frankly don’t care if people believe in it or not. 

• Like 1

"Going heavy on running backs in the early rounds of a draft is the best way to construct a fragile fantasy lineup. Any backfield turmoil and you have nothing on which to fall back. You have no top receivers, you likely don't have a top tight end, and you certainly don't have the late-round running backs who benefit from the ensuing chaos. At best, your lineup is resilient, remaining the same. At worst, it collapses amid the randomness that we know is coming."

There is so much wrong with this paragraph I dont know where to begin. 

I always thought ZeroRB was kind of dumb especially in todays NFL. You have less margin for error than someone who went with a RB heavy or just a plain balanced approach.,

• Like 1

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp/half-ppr/12-team/all/2020

11 hours ago, dghunter79 said:

based on the tone of your post, i imagine zero-RB was a little too handy in the backseat of your sister’s gremlin. you certainly seem upset.

let's take your blanket statement and consider the question, doesn’t the strategy depend on where you draft as well as your league’s settings? if you’re drafting 1.01-1.05 going zero-RB seems insane (despite CMcC, barkley, and zeke all floundering last season). of course you start with RB.

next, what is zero-RB? i've heard people say it’s avoiding RB for the first two rounds, and i've people saying it’s going six rounds with no RB. let's average that: zero-RB for the first four rounds. and with so many point schemes available, and with standard favoring the RB and PPR favoring the receiver (WR/TE), probably should consider half-PPR.

i'm not here to defend zero-RB as a sound strategy, but i go best-player-available (or "balanced' as @Evincar suggests) and save my QBs for double-digit rounds (in single-QB leagues). if you’re drafting with the first six picks, RB is usually best-player-available. anyone who drafted kamara or henry over micheal thomas at 1.05 last season is still dancing.

that said, if you were drafting at 1.10-1.12 last season and went RB/RB, you may of ended up with mixon / ekeler / sanders / drake. tough to survive to the playoffs. in that range, only josh jacobs and chubb finished off ok at 1300/12 and 1200/12 (and chubb with the shortened season). noteworthy: jacobs and chubb were both first-rounders last season, so although the combo was possible, it’s unlikely that an owner ended up with both. any other combination would have rusted the frame of your team. neither jacobs nor chubb outperformed the receivers in that range.

going receiver at the 1.10-1.12 may have netted adams / tyreek / kelce / nuk. in PPR or half-PPR, doubling up on receivers pays off for these four options. for sake of equity, julio was also there to muddle things up. now, consider half-PPR: kamara, henry, and cook outscored all receivers last season. adams / tyreek / kelce outscored all other RBs. nuk was just behind aaron jones / david montgomery / jonathan taylor. in full PPR, boost the receivers even more.

so bottom line 2020 ADP for 1.10-1.12 / 2.01-2.03 is, adams / tyreek / kelce / nuk > mixon, ekeler, sanders, drake, and even jacobs and chubb.  if you were drafting at the end of the line, going zero-RB paid off for the first two rounds. even in standard scoring, of these four receivers only nuk failed to reach jacobs and chubb (nuk ended 19 points behind chubb in standard, 30 points ahead of chubb in half-PPR, 80 points ahead in full).

in rounds 3 & 4, with picks 3.10-3.12 (and 4.01-4.03), last season would have provided you with todd gurley / lev bell / david johnson / fournette. conner and carson were possible, but their ADPs were twelve picks earlier (fantasy football calculator). david montgomery would have been a good pick, however he was injured during most drafts and there was no timetable on his return. only jonathan taylor would have been a sound pick here, and he was a reach (with marlon mack healthy). gibson was also popular in that range, and gibson finished the season as RB#12 in half-PPR with 184 points, and RB#13 in PPR with 202 points.

for half-PPR and PPR, consider: receivers earning 200+ points doubled the number of RBs earning 200+ points. in half-PPR, 8 RBs finished with 200+ points (using fantasypros), 15 receivers finished with 200+ points. for PPR: 27 WRs finished the season with 200+ points (29 if we count TEs), compared with 13 RBs finishing with 200+. so your chances DOUBLE in rounds 3-4 to earn 200+ points if you go WR/TE. in PPR, avoiding RB ain't shabby, especially late round 3 early round 4. in half-PPR,

again, this scenario is only considering the 1.10-1.12 slots—everything depends on where you draft—but just looking at 2020 it was more profitable to go zero-RB for the first four rounds if drafting in the last 3 positions.

10 hours ago, NInsko said:

I usually draft 4 rbs straight, thinking of going 5 deep this yr.  Zero rb seems like a meme that popped up 5-6 years ago when TOP tier RBs were limited and the lower tiers were pretty **** Cedric Benson Beanie Wells etc and TOP WR were putting up big numbers AB Jordy nelson megatron julio .. basically there were more top tier wrs than rbs.

Never used it, never seen it used, never seen it win.

5 RBs to start? we have an opening in our league for you.

3fe8a4c0-cab6-499b-b3d8-d0cc9625da8c_tex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see this as a viable strategy to go into your draft planning to do, unless the draft really came to me and non-RB's of great value kept falling to me.  You still always have to let the draft come to you.  I won 2017 and 2020 in my league with only 1 RB selected in the first 5 rounds.  Last year my first RB was Fournette in the 5th but I also drafted Gibson and James Robinson later.  Both times it has worked for me I've had Mahomes at QB so that's important to note as well.  Moving forward I'm of the opinion that you need RB's early and often simply because they're the best trade capital.  I should also note I make a lot of trades.  

• Like 1

It's absolutely right to show disdain on anyone who insists zero RB (or any other singular game plan) is a significant advantage than another.   My take on this is always to go back at your draft once the season ends and say "what if i took a ______ approach" and you can build a top contender with 4-5 different ways if you just happened to get the right guys.

But, it absolutely can be done.  Don't be a cultist about it, but if you get a little luck, you can absolutely do it.    I almost lost a semi with a loaded team to a guy that got something like 70 points from McKissic/Fournette/Pollard in week 15.   I only got saved by Vonn Bell goodgodalmightying JuJu on Monday Night.  

• Like 1

Zero RB works better in an auction because you can target players who will be cheap but productive (James Conner 2018) and land them at any point.

Since falling victim to David Johnson 2017 and Saquon Barkley 2020, zero-RB is looking better and better.  Of course that means hitting on a handcuff who becomes the starter or a lottery pick or two...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp/half-ppr/12-team/all/2020

based on the tone of your post, i imagine zero-RB was a little too handy in the backseat of your sister’s gremlin. you certainly seem upset.

let's take your blanket statement and consider the question, doesn’t the strategy depend on where you draft as well as your league’s settings? if you’re drafting 1.01-1.05 going zero-RB seems insane (despite CMcC, barkley, and zeke all floundering last season). of course you start with RB.

next, what is zero-RB? i've heard people say it’s avoiding RB for the first two rounds, and i've people saying it’s going six rounds with no RB. let's average that: zero-RB for the first four rounds. and with so many point schemes available, and with standard favoring the RB and PPR favoring the receiver (WR/TE), probably should consider half-PPR.

i'm not here to defend zero-RB as a sound strategy, but i go best-player-available (or "balanced' as @Evincar suggests) and save my QBs for double-digit rounds (in single-QB leagues). if you’re drafting with the first six picks, RB is usually best-player-available. anyone who drafted kamara or henry over micheal thomas at 1.05 last season is still dancing.

that said, if you were drafting at 1.10-1.12 last season and went RB/RB, you may of ended up with mixon / ekeler / sanders / drake. tough to survive to the playoffs. in that range, only josh jacobs and chubb finished off ok at 1300/12 and 1200/12 (and chubb with the shortened season). noteworthy: jacobs and chubb were both first-rounders last season, so although the combo was possible, it’s unlikely that an owner ended up with both. any other combination would have rusted the frame of your team. neither jacobs nor chubb outperformed the receivers in that range.

going receiver at the 1.10-1.12 may have netted adams / tyreek / kelce / nuk. in PPR or half-PPR, doubling up on receivers pays off for these four options. for sake of equity, julio was also there to muddle things up. now, consider half-PPR: kamara, henry, and cook outscored all receivers last season. adams / tyreek / kelce outscored all other RBs. nuk was just behind aaron jones / david montgomery / jonathan taylor. in full PPR, boost the receivers even more.

so bottom line 2020 ADP for 1.10-1.12 / 2.01-2.03 is, adams / tyreek / kelce / nuk > mixon, ekeler, sanders, drake, and even jacobs and chubb.  if you were drafting at the end of the line, going zero-RB paid off for the first two rounds. even in standard scoring, of these four receivers only nuk failed to reach jacobs and chubb (nuk ended 19 points behind chubb in standard, 30 points ahead of chubb in half-PPR, 80 points ahead in full).

in rounds 3 & 4, with picks 3.10-3.12 (and 4.01-4.03), last season would have provided you with todd gurley / lev bell / david johnson / fournette. conner and carson were possible, but their ADPs were twelve picks earlier (fantasy football calculator). david montgomery would have been a good pick, however he was injured during most drafts and there was no timetable on his return. only jonathan taylor would have been a sound pick here, and he was a reach (with marlon mack healthy). gibson was also popular in that range, and gibson finished the season as RB#12 in half-PPR with 184 points, and RB#13 in PPR with 202 points.

for half-PPR and PPR, consider: receivers earning 200+ points doubled the number of RBs earning 200+ points. in half-PPR, 8 RBs finished with 200+ points (using fantasypros), 15 receivers finished with 200+ points. for PPR: 27 WRs finished the season with 200+ points (29 if we count TEs), compared with 13 RBs finishing with 200+. so your chances DOUBLE in rounds 3-4 to earn 200+ points if you go WR/TE. in PPR, avoiding RB ain't shabby, especially late round 3 early round 4. in half-PPR,

again, this scenario is only considering the 1.10-1.12 slots—everything depends on where you draft—but just looking at 2020 it was more profitable to go zero-RB for the first four rounds if drafting in the last 3 positions.

5 RBs to start? we have an opening in our league for you.

3fe8a4c0-cab6-499b-b3d8-d0cc9625da8c_tex

Sure, I play standard, PPR is too easy kinda like fantasy with trainning wheels. I played it in 3 leagues last yr and won two Championships. In standard i employ the draft RBs till you have em all style, ever since I drafted like this i've won. In the past 4 years in my main league i havent finished worst than 3rd in regular season winning it twice and won a championship. Thats beside the two PPR championships i won last yr.

that said, if you were drafting at 1.10-1.12 last season and went RB/RB, you may of ended up with mixon / ekeler /sanders / drake. tough to survive to the playoffs. .. this scenario played out lazt yr for me i took Mixon/Drake then rnd 3/4 i took Carson/Taylor had i not gone 4 deep to start i would have been screwed because of the Mixon injury but because of my wonderfull RB depth i was able to survive and stay on top. With 5 you have that safety net plus valuable trade assets.. WR are a dime a dozen and i dont find it hard to draft a bunch of solid wr2 mid draft they are in abundance while RB dries up quickly. 

zero rb to me as ive read it is not drafttng a rb till round 7, going 4 wr, qb and te before you touch a rb. So your definition is different

Ive never done 5rb before .. but i might this yr in standard. PPR i wouldnt do it as its skewed to WR.. but send the invite i'll smash your league and take home the $$$

for half-PPR and PPR, consider: receivers earning 200+ points doubled the number of RBs earning 200+ points. in half-PPR, 8 RBs finished with 200+ points (using fantasypros), 15 receivers finished with 200+ points. for PPR: 27 WRs finished the season with 200+ points (29 if we count TEs), compared with 13 RBs finishing with 200+. so your chances DOUBLE in rounds 3-4 to earn 200+ points if you go WR/TE. in PPR, avoiding RB ain't shabby, especially late round 3 early round 4. in half-PPR,

Last yr In standard only 3 wr players earned over 200 points Diggs Hill and Adams with only 1 wr earning that feat 2 yrs ago. Compared to 7 and 8 rbs over 200 plus one per yr going over 300. 

The zero rb stratefy is dependant on the league being ppr to be successful imo. which is probably why ive never seen it used or be successful.

Edited by NInsko

I agree that auction is your likeliest way to succeed here.  You can chase 3-4 handcuffs that likely get picked near each other, and also get 3-4 expensive WR's (or throw a Kelce in that mix) that you couldn't do in a snake. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

There is such a thing as a 1 RB strategy though. 

all you need is king Henry.

You can’t argue about this...you just can’t...

Only one that come close would be RoB1nson, amirite? 

• Haha 1

OP is just posting cringe clickbait.  Zero RB works great, if you pick the correct players in the draft (avoid underperformance, injury, etc.)  Any other approach works great if you pick the correct players in the draft.  Going RB for the first 4 or 5 rounds lands you in last place, if you pick the wrong players in the draft.  Going Zero RB lands you in last place, if you pick the wrong players in the draft.  If you think your results are because of the drafting style you use (or don't use) then you're simply choosing to ignore reality because you can't mentally accept that you drafted a sucky team. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, jumper said:

OP is just posting cringe clickbait.  Zero RB works great, if you pick the correct players in the draft (avoid underperformance, injury, etc.)  Any other approach works great if you pick the correct players in the draft.  Going RB for the first 4 or 5 rounds lands you in last place, if you pick the wrong players in the draft.  Going Zero RB lands you in last place, if you pick the wrong players in the draft.  If you think your results are because of the drafting style you use (or don't use) then you're simply choosing to ignore reality because you can't mentally accept that you drafted a sucky team. 

I was about to kinda post something like this. It seems like i took a hard stance before but it boils down to who you pick regardless of strategy. I draft a certain way because ive had success that way but i also try and look at it after each yr and improve. 

No hard feelings sack exchange i might not "smash your league" but if given the opportunity I'd accept the challenge.

55 minutes ago, Proteus said:

There is not a non zero chance that there is not no such thing as a strategy by that name.

Whoa, easy there big brain with the big words like nonzero

(hopefully someone remembers what the hell i'm referencing)

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Whoa, easy there big brain with the big words like nonzero

(hopefully someone remembers what the hell i'm referencing)

There's a non-zero probability that I do, and similarly, my working hypothesis was that Proteus did too ;)

• Like 2
On 4/10/2021 at 9:49 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

There is such a thing as a 1 RB strategy though. 

all you need is king Henry.

CMC

I’m not a fan of zero RB because your whole draft is basically picking lottery numbers rather than players. I like trying to find the best value players per ADP and building a draft strategy around them rather than just spinning a roulette wheel. 

That said, the way the NFL is going virtually all-in on RBBC, fantasy football is basically turning in to a roulette wheel at RB regardless of what round you draft an RB in.

It used to be you had a very solid chance at grabbing 2 solid RBs in the first two rounds. Now it no guarantee you can even get one you feel good about. . It seems to be happening at WR position too though not nearly as badly as the RB position

It’s kind of ruining fantasy football frankly.

• Like 1