NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Robbie Ray 2021 Outlook

So there was chatter about how he was throwing harder and showed more control in ST (may not mean much for the regular season). Thought I would get a thread going for this guy. I think everyone knows by now he is one of the best strikeout pitchers in the league, but also could destroy your ratios any given game.

Anyways, started this thread to see if anyone heard anything about if he was gonna start Monday (4/12) or not.

• Thanks 1

He’s going to have to show me something before I put him in for a 2 start week against the Yankees and Royals. I’ll be perfectly happy with him going off on my bench but he’s a notorious WHIP killer and I want to see if there’s something different with him this year first.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KingJoffrey said:

You guys are crazy.  Starting Ray against the Yankees and Rays? No thanks.

I think the second matchup is actually the Royals. The Yanks haven't looked all that dominant this year yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Picard56 said:

I think the second matchup is actually the Royals. The Yanks haven't looked all that dominant this year yet.

Yankees are overdue I'd argue.  Also generally a patient team that can take it's walks.  Even the Royals aren't fun if that's correct.

1 minute ago, KingJoffrey said:

Yankees are overdue I'd argue.  Also generally a patient team that can take it's walks.  Even the Royals aren't fun if that's correct.

The Royals? I know coming into the season people think they will surprise some people in the central, still not that great. I'm rolling with my man Ray. To hell with my ratios this week!

1 minute ago, Picard56 said:

The Royals? I know coming into the season people think they will surprise some people in the central, still not that great. I'm rolling with my man Ray. To hell with my ratios this week!

If this was World War II, I'd love for you to be on my invasion boat.  I know you'd go in first. :)

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

If this was World War II, I'd love for you to be on my invasion boat.  I know you'd go in first. :)

These two matchups really aren't that bad. Are you gonna wait for him to face a little league team?

Edited by Picard56
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

You guys are crazy.  Starting Ray against the Yankees and Rays? No thanks.

I'm starting him with confidence. I'm a Jays fan and have been following his progress. He's in for a massive season. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

If you don't feel confident enough to start him vs. the struggling Yankees...or the Rays...or the Royals or White Sox, I'm assuming teams like the Astros and Angels are out...the Red Sox have been crushing the ball lately...I'm assuming the Twins are a "no", as well. So it's safe to roll him out for maybe 5 AL teams.

Why even roster him?

I say take a chance. YOLO

Edited by Wieties
  • Like 2

It's a very high risk stream.  I wouldn't pick up someone to stream against the Yankees. Maybe the Royals ok.  But if you're locked into a start against the Yankees you are just being cavalier.

I looked it up and Yankees are 15th in OPS.  I wouldn't even say they are "struggling" just not up to their usual standards.

Edited by KingJoffrey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wieties said:

If you don't feel confident enough to start him vs. the struggling Yankees...or the Rays...or the Royals or White Sox, I'm assuming teams like the Astros and Angels are out...the Red Sox have been crushing the ball lately...I'm assuming the Twins are a "no", as well. So it's safe to roll him out for maybe 5 AL teams.

Why even roster him?

I say take a chance. YOLO

Are you forgetting that he had a 6.62 ERA and 1.90 WHIP last year? There’s no guarantee that his spring training rolls over into the season. I’m rostering him in the hopes that it does, but that’s far from a guarantee which is why I want to see these starts before I do. 13.2 spring training innings doesn’t erase the fact that he hasn’t been a good pitcher in a while.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Are you forgetting that he had a 6.62 ERA and 1.90 WHIP last year? There’s no guarantee that his spring training rolls over into the season. I’m rostering him in the hopes that it does, but that’s far from a guarantee which is why I want to see these starts before I do. 13.2 spring training innings doesn’t erase the fact that he hasn’t been a good pitcher in a while.

Yes, at least let this guy throw a few starts to see what he does.  He will only be picked up in the deepest leagues.  Even in Toronto.

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

I agree with your cautionary approach although I disagree that "he hasn't been a good pitcher in a while". For competitive fantasy teams, Ray can be slotted as an SP4 or SP5. In my opinion, he has decent upside in comparison to other depth pitchers drafted.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/robbie-ray/11486/stats?position=P

One can argue that maybe last year's numbers are extreme outliers....although the WHIP will likely always be high for Ray.

4 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Royal supporting the Royals - saw this one coming.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I'm a Jays fan too.  You guys watch the games last year? Walked nearly 1 guy per inning.  

That was 2020. It's now 2021. Did you see what he did in Spring Training? He may give up a ton of walks, or he may not. This guy gets strikeouts. I'm rolling the dice with him.

11 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I'm a Jays fan too.  You guys watch the games last year? Walked nearly 1 guy per inning.  

I don't hold anything done in 2020 against any player.

Last year was a weird, weird once-or-twice in a generation experience.

So his first start wasn't bad, but also not that great either. More walks than k's, feels kind of lucky that he didn't give up more runs than he did with giving out free passes like that. Lets chalk it up to rust and see if he can pump up those k numbers against the royals.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Didn't give up any runs today but was wild and couldn't command his pitches. Finishes game with 5ip, 4h, 6bb, 3k... I might hold on for 1 more start next week @ TB but not feeling to good about it