NBC Sports Edge Forums

From the first pitch he was struggling to command his fastball.  He had a better feel on his slider, and relied more on that as the game went on.  Luck and some good defense got him through 5 to at least deliver some ERA help.  He wears his pants very tight which are form fitting to an unusual degree.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings about his upcoming start.  On the one hand, the Braves bats seem to be really heating up since getting 1 hit in a double header.  On the other hand, there are a fair amount of free swingers/chasers in this lineup that could help out.  Then on the third hand this is Robbie Ray, and I am 50/50 between him getting lit up like a drunk on the 4th of July and pitching a 2 hit QS. So...who is trotting him out tomorrow?

• Like 1

I’m definitely intrigued and if you’re in a deeper league you should take the gamble for a few starts.

I picked him up last year when he experimented with the shortened arm delivery. It didn’t work out. He’s back to a longer delivery now but I think it’s still a bit more compact from 2017-2019ish.

His velocity (95mph) is highest it’s ever been. And he’s throwing 67% first pitch strikes (he’s never exceeded 60 in a season). As you would guess, his BB% has lowered to his peak seasons in 2016-2017.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If this sticks with him not walking guys, I can live with him giving up the long ball. Will be less damaging since he won't have bases packed with people.

His 1st inning last night had me very concerned but he went into lockdown mode once the Braves scored their first run. He left the runners on 1st/2nd stranded by getting two flyouts and he wasn't seriously threatened the rest of the way. The Robbie Ray I'm used to watching would have been nearly guaranteed to melt down and get an early hook the things were going there. He's pitching the best of his career right now and the beautiful thing is he's still filling up the K category, which has always been the main reason I've owned him (and dropped him, picked back up, and dropped etc) over the years. 

• Like 3
On 4/11/2021 at 11:21 AM, gbill2004 said:

He's in for a huge season, and yes he is expected to start this week, possibly Monday.  

I told you guys...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gbill2004 said:

I told you guys...

You're not afraid to stick your neck out on predictions. So far here you were dead on - congrats.

• Thanks 2