NBC Sports Edge Forums

Just now, gbill2004 said:

Any predictions on what his contract will look like after this season?  He's a pending UFA.  

If he reverts back to his typical self from the last few seasons? If he keeps this level up for the remainder of the season and is in Cy Young contention? He'll be 30 when next season starts which isn't that old (same age Bauer was last offseason), so he could get a massive haul by a pitching starved squad like the Angels. Of course, baseball as a whole is going to be dealing with a potential strike as their own negotiations are going likely to be ugly with owners, and that could also impact things. Really, there's a lot of season left and it's probably a bit too early to start speculating how that could go. He's looked phenomenal and has long flashed elite potential, but it's also just been 9 starts. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm starting him with confidence. I'm a Jays fan and have been following his progress. He's in for a massive season. 

His 1st inning last night had me very concerned but he went into lockdown mode once the Braves scored their first run. He left the runners on 1st/2nd stranded by getting two flyouts and he wasn't seri

10 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

If he reverts back to his typical self from the last few seasons? If he keeps this level up for the remainder of the season and is in Cy Young contention? He'll be 30 when next season starts which isn't that old (same age Bauer was last offseason), so he could get a massive haul by a pitching starved squad like the Angels. Of course, baseball as a whole is going to be dealing with a potential strike as their own negotiations are going likely to be ugly with owners, and that could also impact things. Really, there's a lot of season left and it's probably a bit too early to start speculating how that could go. He's looked phenomenal and has long flashed elite potential, but it's also just been 9 starts. 

Thanks for the non answer.  Let's assume he continues to perform like this the rest of the season.  What does his contract look like?  

3 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Thanks for the non answer.  Let's assume he continues to perform like this the rest of the season.  What does his contract look like?  

I admit I have no idea as we sit here in June 2021, but may I ask why you’re curious?

• Like 2

From CBSSports.com this morning:

Ray continues to shine bright

Blue Jays SP Robbie Ray has been the post, post-hype sleeper of the year -- by far -- and he was at his most dominant of the season on Tuesday night. Ray went 6 1/3 innings and allowed just five hits and one earned run. Oh yeah, and he didn't walk a single batter while racking up 13 strikeouts! He also generated 22 swinging strikes on 102 pitches, with 14 coming on the slider. The new Robbie Ray throws the ball in the strike zone and hitters can't get to him. Specifically, his fastball is simply just always in the strike zone.

Ray now has 82 strikeouts to just 14 walks over 64 1/3 innings this season, an absurd 11.5 K/9 rate. More importantly, he has a 2.1 BB/9 rate, which has never been below in his entire career. Ray is in the 84th percentile in walk rate. Fun fact: Ray has a better walk rate than Shane Bieber right now.

Ray is simply throwing the ball in the strike zone and despite giving up a lot of hard contact when batters connect, he's not allowing his pitches to get hit often at all. Chris compared the rise of Ray this season to what we've seen from Trevor Bauer over the last few seasons. It makes a lot of sense. Ray has always had great stuff, but the issue has always been the command. While he may not have elite command right now, he has borderline elite control and that seems to be working for Ray now.

• Thanks 1

He's simply phenomenal right now. I have been getting lots of offers for him, but everything I've read on this 3rd page in the thread is telling me to hold on. Thanks for the cool stats and info!

19 minutes ago, nlm said:

He's simply phenomenal right now. I have been getting lots of offers for him, but everything I've read on this 3rd page in the thread is telling me to hold on. Thanks for the cool stats and info!

I've read he's been looking at ways to vacuum seal himself into his pants. #1 SP ROS if he does. 

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Haha 3
9 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I've read he's been looking at ways to vacuum seal himself into his pants. #1 SP ROS if he does.

[...]

I actually heard a *rumor* that he was in search of Michael Jackson's original regeneration pod to sleep inside of. #1 SP locked and loaded.

• Haha 1
Just now, nlm said:

I actually heard a *rumor* that he was in search of Michael Jackson's original regeneration pod to sleep inside of. #1 SP locked and loaded.

If he starts pitching with a bedazzled glove I'm all in.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

If he starts pitching with a bedazzled glove I'm all in.

Joe Morgan would never stand for such a thing! I mean, he couldn't handle the A's socks.  (I think that was Joe Morgan anyhow...)

Ray also supposedly has a lucky rabbit's foot that he carries around in the dugout. Definitely a good sign he's a #1 ROS.

Edited by nlm

The rumor is Robbie Ray also carries a guitar pick from when he was in the crowd as a youngster at a Justin Timberlake concert & was tossed one that he caught.  W/o a doubt ACE #1 ROS.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, nlm said:

I’m in a deep dynasty league and haven’t got a single offer for him either this year or last. Not one.  

5 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

I’m in a deep dynasty league and haven’t got a single offer for him either this year or last. Not one.  

I've gotten offers surrounding him from 3 teams, one being an owner I talk to actively/daily. (Co-commish...hi Greg!)

Edited by nlm

Some people have gotten so burned by him in the past, it'll take alot of doing to change their minds.

Unless you get bowled over, just hold on and enjoy the ride as I'm pretty sure this is for real.

Sometimes a player just has more value on your team than he he could ever get back for you in a trade.

• Like 2
On 6/11/2021 at 6:28 PM, Wieties said:

Some people have gotten so burned by him in the past, it'll take alot of doing to change their minds.

Unless you get bowled over, just hold on and enjoy the ride as I'm pretty sure this is for real.

Sometimes a player just has more value on your team than he he could ever get back for you in a trade.

Agree with this statement 100%.

• 4 weeks later...