NBC Sports Edge Forums

9 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Side note. Thought of it while watching Odor “beardless”...it’s absolutely idiotic that the Yankees require players to be clean shaven. I’m sure many Yankee fans will defend it bc of course, but yeah, I’m sure most others would agree it’s pretty dumb.

So your not allowed to have a dress code anymore?

• Like 1
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a totally silly take. You don't find it odd that 29/30 teams let adults be themselves and the Yankees think they are better than everyone else and regulate what someone has on their face? 

Absolutely agree. Not a stupid one.  Talk about a restriction of individual liberty.  No facial hair whatsoever.  No sideburns past the middle of the ear.  No longish hair that hits the collar-

Posted Images

Just now, Baur10 said:

In this case I think they made the wrong call, sure.  But requiring clear evidence to overturn a call on the field is absolutely the right rule regardless of the sport.  Referees/umpires make mistakes all the time but as much as we whine they're right WAY more often than they're wrong.  So if there's ambiguity on the replay why wouldn't you default to the trained professional on the field?

And again I fully agree that in this case I think there was enough evidence to overturn.  Just don't think approaching replay with a "neutral view" is the answer.

But it is clear they have standards to overturn a call that are pretty difficult to meet. So what is the point of the replay if there are impossible to meet standards?  I totally hear what you are saying, but in this day and age, how often does replay conclude a play is as ambiguous as it appears live? I'd venture to guess very very rarely.

3 minutes ago, mks said:

That's a totally silly take. You don't find it odd that 29/30 teams let adults be themselves and the Yankees think they are better than everyone else and regulate what someone has on their face? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, 4catztoomany said:

Then go to another team and be yourself. If you want to be a Yankee you got to shave. Odor didn't have to take the job if he didn't want too.

Edited by mks
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, 4catztoomany said:

But it is clear they have standards to overturn a call that are pretty difficult to meet. So what is the point of the replay if there are impossible to meet standards?  I totally hear what you are saying, but in this day and age, how often does replay conclude a play is as ambiguous as it appears live? I'd venture to guess very very rarely.

I'd disagree.  Plenty of times in football games where a guy is in a pile and the camera doesn't fully catch when his knee is down, or in baseball where one angle can see when the fielder touches the baserunner and another when the base-runner touches the base but not both. Personally I'd much prefer they default those calls to the guys on the field than make educated guesses off of camera angles.  I'll agree the standard can be too high sometimes though.

2 minutes ago, mks said:

Then go to another team and be yourself. If you want to be a Yankee you got to shave.

Odor didn’t have a choice. 

Just now, 4catztoomany said:

Yeah he was traded. Don't believe he can go to another team. 

he could retire. Besides he won't be a yankee long cause he will stink it up like he always does and get let go. Then he can grow his beard again and be himself. There is a reason why his name is ODOR. Cause he stinks

• Haha 1
Just now, Baur10 said:

I'd disagree.  Plenty of times in football games where a guy is in a pile and the camera doesn't fully catch when his knee is down, or in baseball where one angle can see when the fielder touches the baserunner and another when the base-runner touches the base but not both. Personally I'd much prefer they default those calls to the guys on the field than make educated guesses off of camera angles.  I'll agree the standard can be too high sometimes though.

I'm sure there is some literature on this. I certainly would not compare MLB to NFL. There is zero reason they cannot time sync videos to the smallest of milliseconds to do an easy side by side comparison. Again, there are countless times it's quite obvious what the right call is but NY does not overturn because it doesn't meet the burden of proof that is required to overturn the call. None of that seems right to me and totally invalidates the purpose of replay which is to get the call on the field correct, regardless of what the original call was.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, mks said:

Huh?

The rest of the teams in MLB have a dress code. 

Requiring someone to be cleanly shaven is not a dress code. What’s next, requiring everyone to have the same haircut?

To sarcastically try to claim that that’s the same as enforcing a dress code is pretty hilarious.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

Huh?

The rest of the teams in MLB have a dress code. 

Requiring someone to be cleanly shaven is not a dress code. What’s next, requiring everyone to have the same haircut?

To sarcastically try to claim that that’s the same as enforcing a dress code is pretty hilarious.

Hygiene is part of the dress code.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

What’s next, requiring everyone to have the same haircut?

Whoops, sorry guys! Correcting myself here as they actually DO have a haircut policy 😂 . Incredible.

3 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Side note. Thought of it while watching Odor “beardless”...it’s absolutely idiotic that the Yankees require players to be clean shaven. I’m sure many Yankee fans will defend it bc of course, but yeah, I’m sure most others would agree it’s pretty dumb.

Absolutely agree.

3 hours ago, mks said:

Not a stupid one.  Talk about a restriction of individual liberty.  No facial hair whatsoever.  No sideburns past the middle of the ear.  No longish hair that hits the collar-line.  It is like the 1960's with them when kids were kicked out of high school for having a modest Beatles cut. 

Thankfully draconian measures about male hair have finally seem to have gone away from everything everywhere except the military and the Yankee organization's uber conservative view of hair.  ("Hair, the horror!!!")  And the military is far more liberal about hair and beards and mustaches these days than the Yankees who still seem to fear that the Beatles will take over their organization or something. 

One grooming monkey imposing his will of how everyone should look on other human beings who have no power to fight back without losing their careers and they do it for no reason other than to flaunt power over others.

• Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Absolutely agree.

Not a stupid one.  Talk about a restriction of individual liberty.  No facial hair whatsoever.  No sideburns past the middle of the ear.  No longish hair that hits the collar-line.  It is like the 1960's with them when kids were kicked out of high school for having a modest Beatles cut. 

Thankfully draconian measures about male hair have finally seem to have gone away from everything everywhere except the military and the Yankee organization's uber conservative view of hair.  ("Hair, the horror!!!")  And the military is far more liberal about hair and beards and mustaches these days than the Yankees who still seem to fear that the Beatles will take over their organization or something. 

One grooming monkey imposing his will of how everyone should look on other human beings who have no power to fight back without losing their careers and they do it for no reason other than to flaunt power over others.

Thank goodness the Yankees don’t prohibit any facial hair whatsoever.  That, if true, might be a draconian prohibition of human liberty.  I miss the days of watching Damon steal second followed by third!