NBC Sports Edge Forums

Anthony DeSclafani 2021 Outlook

Nothing to see here right?  11 IP 1 ER 12 K.  Once start against the Rockies and one against the Padres.  He also did well during Spring Training.  He got off to a great start last year too before the bottom fell out.

Screenshot (16).png

• Like 1

I like Tony Disco a lot this year and have him as my SP8 on most of my teams. I don’t think he has huge upside but I think he makes for a great back end starter. Coming into the year he had a career home ERA of 4.94 and a road ERA of 3.61, largely a product of pitching most of his career at Great American Ball Park. Now he gets to call Oracle Park home. Like when Kevin Gausman came over, Giants coaches are making changes to his pitch mix. 4-seam fastball usage is down from 33% to 23% which is a wise move since that pitch got clobbered last year. He’s throwing more sinkers, curves, and changeups. As a result he’s getting more swings and misses (career high sw strike rate over 14%) and more groundballs. Not everything has been perfect though as he’s still giving up hard contact.

Also, last year he sustained a teres minor strain at the end of Spring Training 2.0 which he never fully recovered from. I think he’s good for an ERA around 3.75, whip of 1.20, and k/9 around 9, which should prove valuable in most formats. Bench against Braves, Dodgers, and @ Coors Field.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
25 minutes ago, DarinB300 said:

Thoughts on Disco vs MIA today?

Small sample size warning applies, but Miami has an 88 wRC+ and 26.1% k rate against righties. I’m starting with a reasonable amount of confidence.

• Like 2

3.66 SIERA and 3.46 xFIP.  So the good performance is real, the otherworldly results are unlikely to continue.  Looking like a sneaky SP3ish option if he keeps up with underlying peripherals, and given he was a late-round flier or a waiver wire addition that's pretty fantastic.  

Regression is [obviously, nobody could sustain this] coming, but playing in SF I think you can maybe count on pitchers to outperform their xFIP/FIP fairly consistently.  

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Overlord said:

3.66 SIERA and 3.46 xFIP.  So the good performance is real, the otherworldly results are unlikely to continue.  Looking like a sneaky SP3ish option if he keeps up with underlying peripherals, and given he was a late-round flier or a waiver wire addition that's pretty fantastic.  

Regression is [obviously, nobody could sustain this] coming, but playing in SF I think you can maybe count on pitchers to outperform their xFIP/FIP fairly consistently.  

Good analysis. Have you seen him pitch this year? This is my subjective take: he looks like a different pitcher than the guy with the Reds. I think we will have more consistency this year from him. Barring an injury, this could be a SP30 or better going forward

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Idk who the Giants pitching coach is but he’s done a great job helping their new rotation pieces solidify their game, what with Gausman and Tony Disco looking like they’re putting it all together this season.  Pitching in SF doesn’t hurt either.  

@SD COL @MIA @PHI COL

Very nice opening schedule for an OK pitcher. He was worth a shot for the schedule alone. I'd start Daniel Cabrera against that schedule.

Upcoming: SD @PIT @CIN @ARI   I like it

That said, the Giants pitching coach could absolutely be having an effect.

Edited by itaos
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Been very BLAH to say the least in 3 out of his last 4 starts, has the pirates up next then a rough patch for sure with the reds then the dodgers twice.

which means he'll get destroyed against PIT and blank CIN/LAD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 6:25 AM, meh2 said:

Also, last year he sustained a teres minor strain at the end of Spring Training 2.0 which he never fully recovered from. I think he’s good for an ERA around 3.75, whip of 1.20, and k/9 around 9, which should prove valuable in most formats. Bench against Braves, Dodgers, and @ Coors Field.

8-2 now with a 2.77 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 87.2 ip, and 80k's. Those numbers would be SP1 caliber if you benched against the Dodgers. He's going up against those very same Dodgers again tonight, FYI. Hoping for a gem but he'll be sitting it out on my teams.

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

8-2 now with a 2.77 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 87.2 ip, and 80k's. Those numbers would be SP1 caliber if you benched against the Dodgers. He's going up against those very same Dodgers again tonight, FYI. Hoping for a gem but he'll be sitting it out on my teams.

would love a gem as well by some miracle...but his a** will be firmly on my bench