NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ronald Acuna 2021 Outlook

Kidding aside,  what a start to the year! I heard (before tonight's game where he continued to destroy baseballs...) that his Avg exit Velo on ALL balls in play this year was 99+ mph.

He looks calmer in the box, doesn't seem to be pressing. I've also seen and heard some interviews where he is saying the right things, knows that it's ok to have fun w/ the game and be a kid, but cannot give away AB's, not run out ground balls/ popups, let the emotions get the best of him. Rhetorically he's obviously a top talent, but given the players around him and general excitement of the Braves, I think this is the year he becomes the clear and obvious #1 pick for many years to come. Pass the torch Trout, you had a nice run but the lack thereof gives the crown to Acuna.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 4catztoomany said:

31 ft/s sprint speed! 30 is elite, beating out that groundball was just incredible! He looks to have unlocked a whole new level of play this year (yes SSS but we know what he is capable of). 

He looks like he’s in better shape this year, and it’s nice to see that level of hustle out of him. If he plays that tenaciously all season, he’s going to be the unquestioned top player in every 2022 redraft. But, there’s a long way to go. Let’s hope he can keep the intensity up all season. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 4catztoomany said:

31 ft/s sprint speed! 30 is elite, beating out that groundball was just incredible! He looks to have unlocked a whole new level of play this year (yes SSS but we know what he is capable of). 

Username does not check out.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

He looks like he’s in better shape this year, and it’s nice to see that level of hustle out of him. If he plays that tenaciously all season, he’s going to be the unquestioned top player in every 2022 redraft. But, there’s a long way to go. Let’s hope he can keep the intensity up all season. 

He's going to slump, there's no doubt about that but he's always been an intense player.  He struggled with velo last year, hopefully he will be more productive with elite velo this year, - that might be the one thing that truly holds him back. 

9 minutes ago, 4catztoomany said:

He's going to slump, there's no doubt about that but he's always been an intense player.  He struggled with velo last year, hopefully he will be more productive with elite velo this year, - that might be the one thing that truly holds him back. 

I remember him being benched in 2019 because he didn’t run out a grounder. And he showed last year out of shape. That doesn’t say “intense” to me. But jmho :)

33 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I remember him being benched in 2019 because he didn’t run out a grounder. And he showed last year out of shape. That doesn’t say “intense” to me. But jmho :)

This is what I was referring to in the interviews and clips I'd seen. He seems to have some introspect now, knows that God given abilities only go so far... gotta earn it.

(You have a kid who came out of nowhere and shot up prospect boards. We're talking "Ronald who?", to top rankings in half a year. Then proceeded to make good on his prowess from the get go in the big leagues, and become immediately rewarded w/ generational money. Damn near goes 40/40 as a literal child, and it's easy to see where his head gets too big. The world was his oyster, and he ate too many heading into 2020.) To have quickly internalized his shortcomings and done something about it, speaks volumes to his perceived understanding that he IS a leader not just a dynamic athlete. I'd bet my last dollar that Larry Jones got in his ear about fulfilling promise, and the dedication it takes to become a legend. Because make no mistake, if Acuna puts in the work, his career numbers could be silly given how young he started producing like an MVP.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Okay sorry, I'll revise it to 99.9999999999999% of the time he's an intense dude.  Also, that "out of shape" guy had a great year that landed him as the 1/1 pick in most leagues this year. People (not necessarily on this forum) seem to have it out for him, especially after pimping what ended up being a long single. The negativity attached to him is bizarre. 

9 hours ago, LarryChip10 said:

This is what I was referring to in the interviews and clips I'd seen. He seems to have some introspect now, knows that God given abilities only go so far... gotta earn it.

(You have a kid who came out of nowhere and shot up prospect boards. We're talking "Ronald who?", to top rankings in half a year. Then proceeded to make good on his prowess from the get go in the big leagues, and become immediately rewarded w/ generational money. Damn near goes 40/40 as a literal child, and it's easy to see where his head gets too big. The world was his oyster, and he ate too many heading into 2020.) To have quickly internalized his shortcomings and done something about it, speaks volumes to his perceived understanding that he IS a leader not just a dynamic athlete. I'd bet my last dollar that Larry Jones got in his ear about fulfilling promise, and the dedication it takes to become a legend. Because make no mistake, if Acuna puts in the work, his career numbers could be silly given how young he started producing like an MVP.

I absolutely agree with you. The young man is growing up, and that is wonderful to see. I wasn't trying bash the kid  (if anyone read it in that way)...I was trying to laud the progress he's made. To go from where he was to where he is in such a short time and at such a young age (as you said) is impressive. I am so excited to have him in a keeper league, but I'm even more excited to have him as a Brave. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 4catztoomany said:

Okay sorry, I'll revise it to 99.9999999999999% of the time he's an intense dude.  Also, that "out of shape" guy had a great year that landed him as the 1/1 pick in most leagues this year. People (not necessarily on this forum) seem to have it out for him, especially after pimping what ended up being a long single. The negativity attached to him is bizarre. 

I don't have it out for him. I'm a huge Acuna and Braves fan. My whole point was how impressed I am in how far he's come as a player and as a young man. 

• Like 1

Just now, Flyman75 said:

I don't have it out for him. I'm a huge Acuna and Braves fan. My whole point was how impressed I am in how far he's come as a player and as a young man. 

Sorry, I should have been clear, I wasn't trying to say you have it out for him.  Twitter constantly points out the long single as evidence that he is immature and needs to grow and it's just tiring at this point. He absolutely has shown tremendous growth as a person and a ball player but I stand by my comment that he absolutely has been an intense player since his call-up.  The energy he brings to the team is infectious. 

• Like 1

He once got injured hustling on a ground ball, is a constant nuisance on the base paths, and plays both offense and defense with an infectious energy.

He also has been benched for not hustling and once, obviously failed to hustle in a very visible and costly spot.

He is a maturing human being; it's too bad people on the internet expect you to pick one version of him and use it to define him his entire career.

I agree he seems to be maturing very quickly. The talent was always there but it’s nice to see him grow up mentally this early too, which only bodes well for him and his fantasy owners. Should help him get through slumps a bit better. He’s one of, if not, the most fun players in all of baseball to watch. 

• Like 2

If you don't love watching Ronald Acuna play, then you don't love the modern game of baseball.  I'm a Phillies fan, but I loved seeing him mix it up with Jean Segura throughout the series.  Not only does it fire up his teammates, but it adds fire to a divisional rivalry that's often been kind of tepid due to the teams more often than not being out of sync with their competitive cycles since the Braves moved to the NL East in 1994.  Now both teams are competitive and they both have players who play the game hard and show emotion out there, with Acuna establishing himself as the leader of the post-Trout/Harper class of elite position players, particularly with Tatis having so much trouble staying on the field.  What Acuna is bringing to the game is exactly what baseball needs more of.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4catztoomany said:

Sorry, I should have been clear, I wasn't trying to say you have it out for him.  Twitter constantly points out the long single as evidence that he is immature and needs to grow and it's just tiring at this point. ...

Reason #38,561 for never having a Twitter account.

6 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

If you don't love watching Ronald Acuna play, then you don't love the modern game of baseball.  I'm a Phillies fan, but I loved seeing him mix it up with Jean Segura throughout the series.  Not only does it fire up his teammates, but it adds fire to a divisional rivalry that's often been kind of tepid due to the teams more often than not being out of sync with their competitive cycles since the Braves moved to the NL East in 1994.  Now both teams are competitive and they both have players who play the game hard and show emotion out there, with Acuna establishing himself as the leader of the post-Trout/Harper class of elite position players, particularly with Tatis having so much trouble staying on the field.  What Acuna is bringing to the game is exactly what baseball needs more of.

I don’t think anyone has said they don’t enjoy watching him play. 

Who is this guy? How hustles this hard and has had the skills of this guy?? Not sure I’ve ever seen this combination in a player for years. Can’t think of who he resembles as a player.