NBC Sports Edge Forums

3 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

He was obviously in pain after a dive back to first on a pickoff attempt. Trainers checked on him and left him in. A walk and a hit later, and he was superman diving into home to score which wasn't ideal given his sore/hurt stomach. Not sure what was the issue as he was def grabbing at his belly button area when he first injured himself. 

Saw that.  Am hoping, he was just really hungry.

Crossing Fingers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you don't love watching Ronald Acuna play, then you don't love the modern game of baseball.  I'm a Phillies fan, but I loved seeing him mix it up with Jean Segura throughout the series.  Not only d

Ronnie out here dodging major injuries like...

Listening to the postgame show - per manager Brian Snitker - Acuna has an abdominal strain - unknown if he will need a stint on the IL or not. 

Average time missed for abdominal strains is 21-26 days (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/221769236_Abdominal_Muscle_Strains_in_Professional_Baseball_1991-2010)

Edited by mudrummer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Tugginroot said:

Tough spot for those of us in weekly leagues that lineups lock first thing in the morning tomorrow.  

Tougher spot for those of us in weekly leagues without a backup OF and a completed FAAB period. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Listening to the postgame show - per manager Brian Snitker - Acuna has an abdominal strain - unknown if he will need a stint on the IL or not. 

Average time missed for abdominal strains is 21-26 days (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/221769236_Abdominal_Muscle_Strains_in_Professional_Baseball_1991-2010)

To quote Han Solo: Never tell me the odds!

Braves manager Brian Snitker said after Sunday's game that Ronald Acuna was diagnosed with an abdominal strain.

It remains unclear how long he'll be sidelined, though they'll wait until Monday to make a determination on whether or not he'll require a trip to the injured list. Expect the Braves to err on the side of caution with their prized outfielder. Fantasy managers would be wise to have a contingency option available for next week in the event that Acuna is forced to miss some time.

Source: Mark Bowman on Twitter             Apr 18, 2021, 10:53 PM ET

Yeah they will IL him then but at least it doesn't sound terrible.  Damn, this stuff is getting out of hand.  The free agent replacement pool in many leagues is getting bone dry.  Everyone is trained and conditioned to the max and gives max effort and the result is endless injuries.  This is the 6th injury to players I own today alone!  Old school baseball that Babe Ruth played was easier on the body.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Seriously?

Essentially played full seasons in both 2018 and 2019... one day I'll figure out what criteria people here use to label somebody injury-prone but today ain't it.

Edited by Hanghow
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

Essentially played full seasons in both 2018 and 2019... one day I'll figure out what criteria people here use to label somebody injury-prone but today ain't it.

I know, right. They guy doesn't deserve to be labeled as "fragile".

In all seriousness as MLB considers rule changes I would fully support a rule that banned head first slides. 

I recognize they feel like “part of the game” but it feels (and I think studies have borne this out) that a disproportionate number of injuries happen when sliding head first. Just this week I can think of Acuna and Locastro as IL victims. When you are talking about multimillion dollar investments this seems like an easy win for owners and the MLBPA to agree on. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, mudrummer said:

In all seriousness as MLB considers rule changes I would fully support a rule that banned head first slides. 

I recognize they feel like “part of the game” but it feels (and I think studies have borne this out) that a disproportionate number of injuries happen when sliding head first. Just this week I can think of Acuna and Locastro as IL victims. When you are talking about multimillion dollar investments this seems like an easy win for owners and the MLBPA to agree on. 

Thing is he got injured on a dive back on a throw over to first. For some reason the Braves left him in after that and I'm sure the slide in to home exacerbated the injury. When your star and future is grabbing his abdomen you don't leave him in.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Hell no.  I played ball and my pete rose dives were awesome lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, mudrummer said:

What's next, ban hard swings because of the added stress it puts on shoulder/oblique? Or maybe ban pitchers with mechanics that make them more susceptible to injury? Banning head first slides is insanity. Now teams can try to instruct their players away from sliding headfirst, but the league stepping in to ban them altogether makes no sense.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 3

How do you suggest players get back to the bag on pickoff attempts? Or should they also ban pickoffs? What about fielders? They get hurt on head first dives all the time too. No more of those dives allowed either?

Edited by cs3
  • Like 3

LOL.  Why not just wrap them in bubble wrap and and prohibit fielders from tagging them at all in case they tag too hard and the runner gets an ouchie.  No way no how do you lose head first slides in baseball. 

Also no ball player should be able to own a dog since several have tripped over theirs and ended up on the IL list.  One Texas pitcher in the past lost major time that way.  So dogs are deadly and evil and should be banished from the planet earth.

Meanwhile what was said above:

Ronald Acuña Jr. is considered day-to-day after an MRI revealed a mild abdominal strain.

Well, that's the best news the Braves and fantasy managers could have asked for here. Acuña was forced to exit Sunday's game due to the injury, but it appears he will be able to avoid a trip to the injured list. Just expect to be without him for the early part of this week, at the very least.

Source: Atlanta Braves on Twitter     Apr 19, 2021, 2:47 PM ET

The thing about this is he is expected to be in the lineup in a day or two at most.  Then it is day 3 and day 4 and he will be in the lineup when the new series starts.  Then it is day 9 and why not just IL him and get it over with because these guys NEVER come back when predicted.  All news is always overly optimistic.

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

LOL.  Why not just wrap them in bubble wrap and and prohibit fielders from tagging them at all in case they tag too hard and the runner gets an ouchie.  No way no how do you lose head first slides in baseball. 

Also no ball player should be able to own a dog since several have tripped over theirs and ended up on the IL list.  One Texas pitcher in the past lost major time that way.  So dogs are deadly and evil and should be banished from the planet earth.

Meanwhile what was said above:

The thing about this is he is expected to be in the lineup in a day or two at most.  Then it is day 3 and day 4 and he will be in the lineup when the new series starts.  Then it is day 9 and why not just IL him and get it over with because these guys NEVER come back when predicted.  All news is always overly optimistic.

see CHRISTIAN YELICH