NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ronald Acuna 2021 Outlook

This sort of thing is why teams eventually have their superstars stop stealing bases or even running everything out, the risk of injury (particularly as a player ages) is simply too high.  

• Like 1

(16 mins ago) Acuna (ankle) will sit Friday against the Brewers.

Acuna landed awkwardly at first base Thursday and was forced to exit the game. He was able to walk off the field under his own power, and his X-rays came back negative, but he'll get at least one day to rest. Ehire Adrianza starts in right field and will bat leadoff in his absence.

5 minutes ago, herschel said:

(16 mins ago) Acuna (ankle) will sit Friday against the Brewers.

Acuna landed awkwardly at first base Thursday and was forced to exit the game. He was able to walk off the field under his own power, and his X-rays came back negative, but he'll get at least one day to rest. Ehire Adrianza starts in right field and will bat leadoff in his absence.

Why wouldn't they do an MRI as well? Not asking you specifically, just thinking out loud. Looked like what he did, would have been more likely to cause ligament damage than bone. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Why wouldn't they do an MRI as well? Not asking you specifically, just thinking out loud. Looked like what he did, would have been more likely to cause ligament damage than bone. 

The general reason why you don't do diagnostic MRIs unless the symptomology or prior testing warrants it is because the cumulative effects of radiography on the body can be deleterious to one's health in and of themselves.

Responsible doctors aren't going to exponentially increase a baseball player's risk of cancer by continuously giving them likely unnecessary MRIs over the years.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2021 at 4:25 PM, GeorgeCostanza said:

that would have been the weakest way to lose a great player

On 5/13/2021 at 4:32 PM, mudrummer said:

You must not be familiar with strange baseball injuries. Video game accidents, falling down the stairs, hunting accidents, sneezing…

David Price's Fortnight injury has to be at the top of the list though the Texas pitcher who fell down the steps also did so while tripping over his dog so he gets double credit for it ... or does the dog get half credit?  And the number of players who have cut themselves with knives while attacking vegetables in their kitchens are too numerous to even list.  Sounds like a 50's horror movie.  "The Attack of the Mutant Vegetables."

In contrast Acuna has just a standard run of the mill injury.

I've been convinced for decades that a big chunk of the weird baseball injuries are just cover for "I got drunk/high and hurt myself doing something stupid last night."  Like there's a competition between the players to see who can come up with the most ridiculous scenario that still passes muster.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I've been convinced for decades that a big chunk of the weird baseball injuries are just cover for "I got drunk/high and hurt myself doing something stupid last night."  Like there's a competition between the players to see who can come up with the most ridiculous scenario that still passes muster.  

I’m convinced everything baseball players say is true - for example that argument in the Mets tunnel was REALLY about a raccoon or a rat…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2021 at 3:10 PM, mudrummer said:

Good initial news - still concerned about a sprain - guessing he is going to be "day-to-day" for the next couple. 

Hoping we see him back on Monday. Guessing if he isn’t ready to go then Atlanta may be forced to IL him and backdate to Friday. 

(4 hrs ago) Acuna (ankle) could start Monday's game against the Mets, David O'Brien of The Athletic reports.

Acuna didn't start in any of the games during Atlanta's weekend series in Milwaukee, but he entered Sunday's game as a pinch hitter in the top of the eighth inning. He struck out in his only at-bat, and manager Brian Snitker said that he would have put in a pinch runner if Acuna reached base. However, Acuna has been hitting in the cage and could be healthy enough to return for Monday's series opener against the Mets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Insane.  Looks like he breaks his hand, it’s a bruise, back the next day. Looks like he tore his Achilles, could be back within a few days.  This guy 

He's one of those guys who just has that gift from above. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be unpopular but I really need more from this guy. Outside of the solo HRs, he's not having a 1st rounder year. I wouldn't be as concerned if his strikeouts haven't been spiking in the last 2 weeks. I wonder if all these injury scares are starting to take it's toll either physically and/or mentally? 

2 minutes ago, CardiacDO said:

This is going to be unpopular but I really need more from this guy. Outside of the solo HRs, he's not having a 1st rounder year. I wouldn't be as concerned if his strikeouts haven't been spiking in the last 2 weeks. I wonder if all these injury scares are starting to take it's toll either physically and/or mentally? 

His May has not been good. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, absknicks said:

People were thinking 40-40 before the season. I'm beginning to wonder if he gets to 20 SBs at this point. Been a good 3 weeks without even an attempt.

1) He's only had 13 games because of the injury within those "3 weeks"

2) Before those 3 weeks he had 3 steals in 5 games so nice cutoff point there

3) Of those 13 games, most of the time he didn't have any good opportunities to steal (I'm a braves fan).  He hasn't been getting on base with the first batter and he often hits XBH.

4) He literally attempted a SB tonight but freeman fouled it off

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

1) He's only had 13 games because of the injury within those "3 weeks"

2) Before those 3 weeks he had 3 steals in 5 games so nice cutoff point there

3) Of those 13 games, most of the time he didn't have any good opportunities to steal (I'm a braves fan).  He hasn't been getting on base with the first batter and he often hits XBH.

4) He literally attempted a SB tonight but freeman fouled it off

So defensive Brave fan in you aside, how many steals do you have him ticketed for? 

On 5/27/2021 at 3:23 AM, Fbaseballgod said:

I’ll say 21 by end of season, along with the HR lead 

Sorry but if it's 21 he's not going to be a good ROI for most fantasy owners. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Sorry but if it's 21 he's not going to be a good ROI for most fantasy owners. 

How?  A 275-40-20 season is easily #1 overall.   I would guess he's #1 in most fantasy leagues, maybe Turner in standard 5x5