NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ronald Acuna 2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, bluntbros said:

Just researching here. Looks like the MCL is on the inner side of the knee. LCL on outer side. ACL and PCL down middle of knee. Like the poster said above…I hope his reaction was “over dramatic.” Similar to his 1st base incident earlier this season.

Even Been Roethlesberger would be impressed if he wasn't done for the year.

This is a lose lose. He's done for the year or he's that overdramatic. 

I think he's done for the year and Atlanta is just in denial at this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevieStats said:

Even Been Roethlesberger would be impressed if he wasn't done for the year.

This is a lose lose. He's done for the year or he's that overdramatic. 

I think he's done for the year and Atlanta is just in denial at this point.

I’ll happily take him being “over dramatic”.

• Like 1

About four different injuries potential here - from most to least serious I would think they are:

1. ACL or MCL tear - could be one, could be both. Either would be season ending but would think he would be ready for 2022 for dynasty owners. 

2. Leg fracture - less likely but would still be a lengthy absence.

3. Knee strain / Hyperextension - guessing this would at minimum be a 4 week injury and that is being very optimistic.

4. Deep bone bruise - best case scenario, could be back shortly after the ASG.

For what it's worth I am guessing we have seen Acuna play his last game of 2021 which sucks both as owners and as fans of the game. Not often you see a player taken off on a cart only to make a comeback. The only sliver of hope is that Braves haven't released the news. ACL/MCL tears are typically pretty quick diagnoses so if it was an apparent tear I would have expected word by now. That said they could be waiting to confirm with a secondary MRI or need to work with his agent on how to announce. Overall this is no bueno.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Not often you see a player taken off on a cart only to make a comeback. 

To be fair, as a Braves fan and Acuña owner he can be... pretty prone to dramatics.  More than once this season I've thought he might he out for months and he came back within a few days lol 

2 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

9-10 months puts him out for most of April next season too

Gonna say he misses all of April since he'll need multiple weeks worth of games/AB's that he won't be getting in spring training to get ready for the season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

How is this injury going to affect his SB in the future?  Any precedent on someone in MLB who steals having this injury in the past few years?

He’ll be at most risk for reinjury in his first couple months back so I wouldn’t expect a ton of steals next year. He’s young enough that I expect a full recovery. After next year I’d expect him to have no restrictions but I would also expect some normal age-related declines to start applying though he’ll only be 25 so the drop off won’t be too steep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Football players are usually back to pre injury form in their 2nd seasons back from an ACL year. First year back from injury most guys are still cautious of reinjury and getting used to using their body the way they did pre injury. By the 2nd year they know their leg will hold up and you see them return to pre-injury form.

*individual results may vary

if he comes back and his head looks like late career Barry Bonds then all bets are off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Football players are usually back to pre injury form in their 2nd seasons back from an ACL year. First year back from injury most guys are still cautious of reinjury and getting used to using their body the way they did pre injury. By the 2nd year they know their leg will hold up and you see them return to pre-injury form.

*individual results may vary

if he comes back and his head looks like late career Barry Bonds then all bets are off.

Does the MLB do more/less/equal amount of PED testing on players that are on the DL? Seems like that would be a situation that a guy might try some stuff that he normally otherwise would not.