NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Julio Urias 2021 Outlook

Didn’t see a thread for him.  Looks good after a couple of starts.  Ran out of gas against Wash but pitched well enough to hang on to the W.  Do we know if his next start is home against Col or at SD?

8 minutes ago, herschel said:

Didn’t see a thread for him.  Looks good after a couple of starts.  Ran out of gas against Wash but pitched well enough to hang on to the W.  Do we know if his next start is home against Col or at SD?

I believe he starts against SD. Solid start for the year. Got him as one of my sp/rp guys in yahoo! Looking forward to see what he can do in a full season of starting.

46 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I believe he starts against SD. Solid start for the year. Got him as one of my sp/rp guys in yahoo! Looking forward to see what he can do in a full season of starting.

fwiw.

#Dodgers list Trevor Bauer (Tues), Dustin May (Wed) and Julio Urias (Thur) as starters for home series v Rockies.
That sets up Walker Buehler (on extra rest Friday), Clayton Kershaw (on extra rest Saturday) and Trevor Bauer (Sunday) for next weekend's series in San Diego

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, 5catstud said:

Is this guy going to be available for fantasy playoffs? Never pitched more than 79 MLB IP in a season

He's not that young anymore, I think they gotta stop babying him at some point.

3 hours ago, Picard56 said:

I saw it on Mlb Network. He looked really really good. Never got into any jams and was throwing tons of strikes.

I think I watched every at bat and I would guess he had over 90% of first pitch strikes. He was getting ahead of hitters and I think that helped set him up for dominant start. 

2 hours ago, Picard56 said:

He's not that young anymore, I think they gotta stop babying him at some point.

Age isn’t really a factor as much as his arm not being stretched out for a full season.  I don’t see him getting more than 150 ip.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, herschel said:

solid start.  solid first half.  very quiet thread.  do we think the dodgers limit his innings in the second half?

I doubt it now with Kershaw down, and Bauer most likely done. I know the Dodgers will be looking for SP at the trade deadline.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pulled after 74 pitches tonight? Only one hit allowed. 5 innings. Not really sure if that was just precaution because this was his first game back after a brief IL stint, or if they're starting to limit innings to keep him fresh for the post season. I felt confident starting him for a two start week this week but, for me, he may not be set it and forget it for the remainder of the season. He's on the road next week at SF.  I've scooped Marco Gonzales and Josiah Gray off the WW and, depending on matchups, I may prefer a two start week from one of them vs a one start week from Julio, if only to increase the likelihood of points from quality starts and wins. 

I'm curious how other Urias owners will be approaching the stretch run???

Urias is slated to pitch the 30th vs. ATL.

Also...will this guy ever pitch 6 innings again this season? Talk about a void in the QS category... I can't count how many times he's gone 5.0 or even 5.2, failing to retire that last batter for the QS. I hope his last start isn't a sign of things to come, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Likewise, I've loaded up on SP and potential streamers I have held onto, such as Josiah Gray. I may end up keeping Urias benched in some starts down the stretch to preserve my IP limit and make the most out of the starts/IP I have left.

He worries me. I think he's being coddled to keep him ready for the playoffs. Unless he's really cruising or their pen is just shot from the game before, I don't know if he's going to pitch 6 innings in a regular season game again this year. Which I personally think would be really stupid and put him in a weird situation come playoff time if they were then to ask him to go deeper, but I feel like it has been 5 or 6 starts, if not more, since he went 6IP or more.

30 minutes ago, nlm said:

Also...will this guy ever pitch 6 innings again this season? Talk about a void in the QS category... I can't count how many times he's gone 5.0 or even 5.2, failing to retire that last batter for the QS. I hope his last start isn't a sign of things to come, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Likewise, I've loaded up on SP and potential streamers I have held onto, such as Josiah Gray. I may end up keeping Urias benched in some starts down the stretch to preserve my IP limit and make the most out of the starts/IP I have left.

He worries me. I think he's being coddled to keep him ready for the playoffs. Unless he's really cruising or their pen is just shot from the game before, I don't know if he's going to pitch 6 innings in a regular season game again this year. Which I personally think would be really stupid and put him in a weird situation come playoff time if they were then to ask him to go deeper, but I feel like it has been 5 or 6 starts, if not more, since he went 6IP or more.

Where are you seeing Monday?

The only thing I can find is from an article after is last start quoting the manager saying he'll be ready to pitch against Colorado.

https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-return-of-julio-urias-helps-create-an-elite-rotation-in-the-eyes-of-roberts/2021/08/25/

3 minutes ago, MrBrett said:

Where are you seeing Monday?

The only thing I can find is from an article after is last start quoting the manager saying he'll be ready to pitch against Colorado.

https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-return-of-julio-urias-helps-create-an-elite-rotation-in-the-eyes-of-roberts/2021/08/25/

On his Yahoo! player page, it shows him slotted to start on the 30th. I'm going off of that for now.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nlm said:

On his Yahoo! player page, it shows him slotted to start on the 30th. I'm going off of that for now.

Ok, hope it's wrong and CBS fantasy right. Thanks for the reply.

19 hours ago, nlm said:

Ironically he's averaging 5.2IP/start this year. He has 13 starts(of 24) that he's gone between 5 and 5.2 this year including the last five starts he's made(only went over 90 pitches in one of those). If it's a QS or points league it's getting tough to put him in the lineup each week.  He's been amazing with a 3.17 ERA 1.05 WHIP 9.5 K/9 but volume matters especially in points. He's probably gonna make six or seven more starts in the regular season so he'll end up with 170-180IP in the regular season and likely push it up around 200 including playoffs, so next year I can see them letting him loose and I bet he'll be in the CY conversation, health permitting.