NBC Sports Edge Forums

NBC Sports Edge Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread

Jay Bruce was ejected from Tuesday's game versus the Phillies for arguing balls and strikes.

Bruce took an Aaron Harang pitch that looked to be inside, but home plate umpire Adam Hamari disagreed and rung him up. The outfielder homered in his first at-bat before the strikeout.
Lol. No he didn't.
Edited by smeeze
  • Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the day there was a thread that posted many of the many misses in the Rotoworld/Sportsedge universe. Seems as good of a time to resurrect as any.  For example did you know Ronald Acuna an

I guess Turnbull is going to try and pitch to Gary with his left today... seriously how do you write for a fantasy site and not even know which hand a dude throws with. 

Posted Images

Jay Bruce was ejected from Tuesday's game versus the Phillies for arguing balls and strikes.

Bruce took an Aaron Harang pitch that looked to be inside, but home plate umpire Adam Hamari disagreed and rung him up. The outfielder homered in his first at-bat before the strikeout.

Source: John Fay on TwitterJun 9 - 8:13 PM

Someone please tell me these RW blurb writers don't get paid to write these.

I for one hope not - they are singularly awful.

I for one hope not - they are singularly awful.

I read this and I was like great, a homer for Bruce! I go check the box score and it was an RBI double. Someone needs to pay for this tease.

Mookie Betts homered in a 3-for-4 effort, but the Red Sox were handed a 4-2 loss by the Braves on Monday.

Was Betts wearing Bogaerts' jersey for an at-bat?

no sense stopping there..

Betts got the Red Sox on the board in the seventh inning, hitting a solo home run off of reliever Dana Eveland to make it a 4-1 game. He added an RBI single in the ninth inning in an attempt to incite a comeback, but the Red Sox came up short again. Betts has seven home runs, 27 RBI, 10 stolen bases, and a .246/.303/.388 triple-slash line on the year.

impressive.

• Like 1

yes, three more run to be exact.

• New Player Note Thu, Jun 18

Todd Frazier had a solo homer in the fourth and a grand slam in the 13th as the Reds beat the Tigers 8-4 on Wednesday.

Advice: Frazier also homered twice on Tuesday, and he now has 22 homers on the season, leaving him just seven shy of his total from his fine 2014 season. Before the slam, each of his last eight and 16 of his 21 homers on the season had been solo shots. Of course, all he really needed was the one run with that last one, but the slam was surely more run. It was the second of his career.

(Rotoworld.com)

Mookie Betts homered in a 3-for-4 effort, but the Red Sox were handed a 4-2 loss by the Braves on Monday.

Was Betts wearing Bogaerts' jersey for an at-bat?

no sense stopping there..

Betts got the Red Sox on the board in the seventh inning, hitting a solo home run off of reliever Dana Eveland to make it a 4-1 game. He added an RBI single in the ninth inning in an attempt to incite a comeback, but the Red Sox came up short again. Betts has seven home runs, 27 RBI, 10 stolen bases, and a .246/.303/.388 triple-slash line on the year.

impressive.

i'm really fond of the use of the word "incite" here. like the 30 people who stuck around fenway for the ninth inning of a meaningless monday night game between two bad teams with the red sox losing 5-1 would one day be telling their grandkids about it. "it all started when a young man named mookie betts stepped up to the plate with only one thing in mind: incite a comeback..."

it also works because it implies that the blurb writer actually asked betts what he was trying to accomplish with his single, and his response was "incite a comeback."

obviously.

Adrian Beltre - 3B - Rangers

Adrian Beltre (thumb) remains unable to swing a bat.

Beltre had the stitches removed from his left thumb earlier this week and is able to catch and throw, but gripping a bat is still an issue. "I’ve tried every day," Beltre said. "It’s not as close as I want it. I’m not happy, but what can I do, get a disposable thumb?" The Rangers had been hoping Beltre would be nearing a return at this point, but obviously he's not close.
Jun 19 - 11:17 AM

Man, to think if he hadn't thrown the 7 shutout innings yesterday

Kendall Graveman silenced the Rockies with seven shutout innings, helping the Athletics to a 7-1 win on Monday.

Graveman scattered five hits and three walks while striking out three. All five hits were singles. The right-hander has been terrific since returning from the minor leagues in late May. Over his last eight starts, Graveman has a 20.1 ERA in 53 2/3 innings. He'll look to keep it going over the weekend with a home start against the Mariners.
  • Like 1

Regarding Jose Fernandez:

Up next for the 22-year-old right-hander, a trip to Fenway to face off with the Red Sox.

Someone correct me if I misheard, but I think the Marlins broadcast said his next start would be at home next Thursday vs CIN.

"Jon Niese kept the Giants off the board over eight innings, earning his fourth win of the season on Monday.

Niese limited the Giants to five base runners (three hits and two walks) while striking out four. The lefty hit the kids in May but has racked up quality starts in each of his last six starts. As a result, his ERA is down to 3.58 with a 1.42 WHIP and a 67/33 K/BB ratio in 98 innings. The Mets, who have been attempting to trade him, couldn't be happier. Niese will take on the Diamondbacks at home in his final first half start."
Wow, I know slumps are rough, but take a couple deep breaths next time, Jon.
  • Like 2

"Jon Niese kept the Giants off the board over eight innings, earning his fourth win of the season on Monday.

Niese limited the Giants to five base runners (three hits and two walks) while striking out four. The lefty hit the kids in May but has racked up quality starts in each of his last six starts. As a result, his ERA is down to 3.58 with a 1.42 WHIP and a 67/33 K/BB ratio in 98 innings. The Mets, who have been attempting to trade him, couldn't be happier. Niese will take on the Diamondbacks at home in his final first half start."

Wow, I know slumps are rough, but take a couple deep breaths next time, Jon.

Adrian Peterson was pissed when he read this and realized Niese wasn't even benched for one start.

• Like 2

They recently said Jay Bruce has been an enigma with his injury woes.

In 8 years Jay Bruce has had two real injuries... A broken wrist in 2009, and knee surgery last year. Just not sure where rotoworld would get some of this studf

• 2 weeks later...

Orioles signed LHP Andy Oliver to a minor league contract.

Oliver opted out of his deal with the Rays earlier this month after posting a 3.86 ERA and 3224 K/BB ratio strikeouts over 28 Triple-A innings. He's merely a depth guy.
Damn, there must have been a lot of strike three-wild pitches. :lol:
  • Like 3

Now they're just wrong in full blurbs:

Ian Desmond left Saturday's game against the Dodgers with an apparent left leg injury.

Desmond limped off the field after trying to make a diving play in the top of the ninth inning. He was 0-for-3 with two strikeouts against Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw. There should be an update from D.C. soon.
It was Espinosa who was injured, not Desmond
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What about Jose Reyes whom they just traded for?

Rockies recalled INF Christian Adames from Triple-A Albuquerque.

Adames has hit .296/.342/.416 with seven home runs and seven stolen bases in 86 games this season at the Triple-A level. The 24-year-old can play all over the infield, but he'll get most of his starts at shortstop with Troy Tulowitzki now out of the picture.

• Like 1

What about Jose Reyes whom they just traded for?

Rockies recalled INF Christian Adames from Triple-A Albuquerque.

Adames has hit .296/.342/.416 with seven home runs and seven stolen bases in 86 games this season at the Triple-A level. The 24-year-old can play all over the infield, but he'll get most of his starts at shortstop with Troy Tulowitzki now out of the picture.

He got hurt walking off the plane! (I kid I kid)

This does explain the random guy in my league who added Christian Adames, though, unless he thinks he can play OF with CarGo gone soon.

i love this message board but i hate rotoworld. what's the point of the last line of bautista's blurb?

New Player Note Tue, Jul 28

Jose Bautista left Tuesday's game versus the Phillies with an apparent right hamstring injury.

Advice: Bautista pulled up lame while running out a groundball. It looked like a potentially significant injury, but we'll have to wait and see what the Blue Jays say after the game.

Angels placed OF Matt Joyce on the 7-day concussion disabled list.
Joyce suffered a concussion in a collision with teammate Erick Aybar on Sunday and will now get some extended rest. Dioner Navarro will take his place on the active roster.

They meant Efren Navarro.... Dioner plays for the Jays :o

Close Rotoworld. Close

• Like 1

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Braves would receive Hector Olivera from the Dodgers as part of the rumored three-team deal with the Marlins.

The Braves would send Jim Johnson and Alex Wood to the Braves and in return acquire Michael Morse, a competitive balance draft pick along with Olivera.
Jul 29 - 9:20 PM
At least they don't have to go far to get to their old new team...
  • Like 1
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Wilmer Flores will head to the Brewers with Zack Wheeler in exchange for outfielder Carlos Gomez.
It's unclear if he'll be utilized at shortstop for the Mets, or if he'll take over their vacancy at third base. The 23-year-old was hitting .249/.281/.379 with 10 homers and 40 RBI in 92 games with the Mets this season. It's a nice haul for the Brewers in exchange for a year-plus of Gomez. Jul 29 - 9:17 PM

I guess the first 8 months of the season didn't make it clear...

Rotoworld is a role here. Three minutes apart between this one and the one I posted above.

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to NBC Sports Edge Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread