NBC Sports EDGE Forums

NBC Sports Edge Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread

Sidearmer

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Dude just take the deal!

Brad Brach had his arbitration hearing Thursday.

The decision is expected to come Friday. Brach filed for $3.05 million and the O's filed at $5.525 million when arbitration figures were exchanged in early January. The right-hander posted an excellent 2.05 ERA with 92 strikeouts in 79 innings last season out of the Baltimore bullpen.

No damnit, I only deserve 3 Million. YOU CANT DO THIS TO ME. 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Steven Wright struck out three over 4 1/3 frames of shutout ball against the Pirates on Thursday.

He gave up just two hits and one walk along the way. Wright's recovery from an injury to his left (non-throwing) shoulder took way longer than expected, but he's now gone out and fired 9 1/3 shutout innings this spring. He looks healthy and needs to be taken seriously as a fantasy commodity again.

it was his throwing shoulder

• 3 weeks later...

"Cleanup on Aisle 9!"

As most of you know, off-topic political or social commentary is not permitted on the forums. This is a fantasy sports message board. This thread is only for discussing errors or inaccuracies in Rotoworld's reporting. Anything not relevant to that topic will be removed.

With that said, anyone who thinks that generalizations about female sportswriters are funny or appropriate will find that such comments are an incredibly effective way to lose the ability to post here.

Offending posts have been deleted. Please stay on topic.

• Like 4

Advice: Haniger connected for a three-run home run off Cole Hamels in the third inning. The tater was his fourth through the first two weeks of play. The 26-year-old outfielder hit all of five during the 2016 season. While he is unlikely to maintain his current .294/.410/.588 triple-slash, those in deeper AL-only formats looking for a little bit of bench heat might consider giving him a look while he is raking.

(Rotoworld.com)

Nevermind the other 25 he hit in the minors, I guess. Wouldn't it be thorough that his 5 HR in the Majors last year came in 109 AB? And deeper AL leagues should look at him as a potential bench bat?? Does the guy who wrote this play in 4-team AL only leagues or something? I cannot imagine an AL league of any substance not drafting Haniger...and possibly as a starter. 

• 1 month later...

in the huh category

Jedd Gyorko finished 2-for-5 with a pair of singles and two strikeouts in Saturday's game against the Giants.

Gyorko has been red hot in the month of May, hitting safely in six straight and 13 of his past 14 outings. After hitting .333 in the month of April he is doing even better in May. The former standout at West Virginia University is hitting .328 with three homers and 10 RBI through 16 games in May.

.328>.333
  • Like 1

No idea what day it is plus Jhonny "Peralta" Cueto.

Javier Baez is not in Tuesday's lineup against the Giants.
Baez went 3-for-4 with a two-run homer on Monday, but he'll take a seat on Monday against right-hander Jhonny Cueto. Ben Zobrist will make the start at second base and bat leadoff while Kyle Schwarber will return to left field and bat second. Ian Happ is starting in center field and will bat fifth.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said that Tony Watson will remain the team's closer.
Watson blew his fourth save of the season on Tuesday when he gave up a two-run home run to Jonathan Schoop in the ninth inning. He is now 10-for-14 in save opportunities while pitching to a 3.91 ERA, 1.50 WHIP and 19/8 K/BB ratio across 25 1/3 innings. For the time being, it looks like he will hold onto his job. Should he continue to struggle, the Pirates could potentially call up Felipe Rivero.

Apparently Rivero has been dominating the minors all this time...

• Like 2

Regarding the most recent update on Addison Russell:

"MLB began investigating Russell after his wife Melisa claimed on social media that she had been "mentally and physically" abused by him..."

HIS WIFE NEVER SAID THIS AND NEVER CLAIMED HE ABUSED HER.  HIS WIFES BEST FRIEND COMMENTED ON THE POST AND CLAIMED THIS.  THIS IS BLATANTLY INCORRECT.

• 2 weeks later...
Ken Giles worked a perfect 11-pitch ninth inning for his 17th save of the season Monday in Oakland.
Giles kicked off the month of June in rather shaky fashion, allowing four runs over his first three innings, including a blown save June 6 in Kansas City. However, the closer appeared to have righted the ship with three perfect innings over his past four appearances with five strikeouts and a pair of saves. He remains solidly entrenched as Houston's closer. Jun 20 - 2:13 AM

Can someone explain what this is? Do you have to get 4 strikes for the last 2 outs of the inning now?

Edited by miasma16

1 hour ago, miasma16 said:
Ken Giles worked a perfect 11-pitch ninth inning for his 17th save of the season Monday in Oakland.
Giles kicked off the month of June in rather shaky fashion, allowing four runs over his first three innings, including a blown save June 6 in Kansas City. However, the closer appeared to have righted the ship with three perfect innings over his past four appearances with five strikeouts and a pair of saves. He remains solidly entrenched as Houston's closer. Jun 20 - 2:13 AM

Can someone explain what this is? Do you have to get 4 strikes for the last 2 outs of the inning now?

No batters reached base, hence perfect inning. Perfect inning doesn't mean 9 strikes, 0 balls.

• Haha 1

No one did reach base, it just took him 11 pitches. I was just responding to bold text of the blurb you quoted.

This part, however, is inaccurate.

However, the closer appeared to have righted the ship with three perfect innings over his past four appearances with five strikeouts and a pair of saves.

I kind of forgot about this thread.  I'm sure I'll never be able to find/recover it now but a couple of weeks ago they were poo-pooing some newly arrived guy's value and they literally said that he would only produce double digit home runs so don't bother with him.  I'm thinking what league does this writer play in if all his hitters have to hit a hundred or more homers to be rostered by him.

Then a couple of days ago they had a Dodger pitcher pitching for the Mets instead I remember.  Well, God knows the Mets need healthy pitchers but chances are the Dodgers aren't about to give them one.

Hicks suffered the injury during Sunday's game and is expected to miss 3-4 weeks. It's a shame, as the 27-year-old has enjoyed an excellent first base. Jacoby Ellsbury (concussion) has been activated from the disabled list to take his place on the active roster.

The Rotoworld editors should be fired with how many blunders these guys make.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yankees designated 1B Chris Carter for assignment.

Carter was batting just .201/.284/.370 in 62 games this season with New York. He still has good power and could draw some interest on waivers because of his reasonable $3.5 million salary, though his market may be limited to American League teams.

Technically, there's nothing specifically wrong with this blurb. I just found it funny since the above was posted on July 4th. About 10 days earlier, on June 24th, the Yankees also designated Carter for assignment. And he went on waivers then too. And this happened:

Yankees sent 1B Chris Carter outright to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Carter cleared waivers after being designated for assignment and has accepted an assignment to Triple-A. He'll collect a nice paycheck while playing against minor leaguers.

That was on June 28th. So somehow, in the last 6 days, Carter did enough to both be designated for assignment again and yet still could draw interest on waivers (despite clearing a week earlier). Rotoworld holding out hope for the Carter waiver claim. C'mon, someone wants to do it? Right?

• New Player Note Fri, Jul 7

Justin Turner is not in Friday's starting lineup against the Royals.

Advice: Turner, who won the NL Final Vote for the All-Star Game, is presumably getting a breather with a big week ahead of him. Logan Forsythe will fill in at third base while Chase Utley gets a start at second.

MoreEric Stephen on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

"I know you want to play but you might get an at-bat in a meaningless game in five days so why don't you just sit yourself next to me tonight and tell me all about the wonderful things you're going to pack for your big week."    Dave Roberts

• 2 weeks later...

Roberto Osuna took his fourth blown save after giving up a run in the 11th inning Tuesday against the Red Sox.
The Red Sox were able to collect three singles off Osuna, marking the first time all year that he's given up three runs in an appearance. He hadn't allowed a run at all since June 7, and the blown save was his first since April 27. Jul 19 - 1:24 AM

Would have been an excellent point, if he had actually given up 3 runs in the appearance.
  • Like 1

Dodgers designated RHP Sergio Romo for assignment.

That clears a roster spot for Grant Dayton, who is back from the 10-day DL. Romo's Dodgers career ends with a brutal 6.12 ERA over 30 outings. Injuries have hampered Romo over the last few years including a stint on the disabled list last month. Despite his struggles this season, the 34-year-old has a proven track record and shouldn't take long to resurface. Perhaps the Rays, who were interested in Ramos this offseason and are looking to bolster their bullpen, will consider him.

were the Rays interested in Romo, or was it Ramos?

Do they have an editor? Do they read what they write?

• tonycpsu changed the title to NBC Sports Edge Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread