NBC Sports Edge Forums

NBC Sports Edge Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread

I think some of you guys under estimate how difficult it is to keep up with so many players and write an interesting "blurb". Yea some of them deserve to be scrutinized, but cut them some slack.

If it was my job I bet you anything that I could do a better job than that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the day there was a thread that posted many of the many misses in the Rotoworld/Sportsedge universe. Seems as good of a time to resurrect as any.  For example did you know Ronald Acuna an

I guess Turnbull is going to try and pitch to Gary with his left today... seriously how do you write for a fantasy site and not even know which hand a dude throws with. 

Posted Images

I think some of you guys under estimate how difficult it is to keep up with so many players and write an interesting "blurb". Yea some of them deserve to be scrutinized, but cut them some slack.

Its true but they are also paid to write these...But either way this thread is more just poking fun, not really indicting anyone, everyone makes errors, just funny when they are blatant.

• Like 1
Alex Wood tossed five innings of one-run ball Saturday in the Braves' 6-3 defeat of the Nationals.

Wood had to be pulled after five innings because he was at 103 pitches. He finished with eight strikeouts and is now 2-1 with a 1.89 ERA in 19 frames this season. The young right-hander will face the Phillies next, and all signs point to the success continuing.

Alex Wood is a lefty...

Edited by FantasyFiend
  • Like 5
Alex Wood tossed five innings of one-run ball Saturday in the Braves' 6-3 defeat of the Nationals.

Wood had to be pulled after five innings because he was at 103 pitches. He finished with eight strikeouts and is now 2-1 with a 1.89 ERA in 19 frames this season. The young right-hander will face the Phillies next, and all signs point to the success continuing.

Alex Wood is a lefty...

That one is pretty bad. Not just a grammar error but a lack of knowledge.

Justin Smoak went hitless in a third straight game Saturday, finishing 0-for-4 with three strikeouts against the A's.

Maybe no MVP season after all? Since going 6-for-13 with two homers and seven RBI in three games against the Angels to start the year, Smoak is 3-for-25 with two RBI in seven games. He's also stuck out at least one in every game he's played.

"stuck out at least one in every game"

2 bad errors after a bad MVP joke. It was nice information that he went 0-4 and is 3 for his last 25. They should have stopped there.

Edited by Sidearmer
  • Like 2

Nay. If you are paid to write an article you either proof it or you have a staff member proof it. Proof reading is essential for all forms of professional reporting as in you get paid to do it.

If once in a blue moon something slips through, fine. But there are lots of mistakes in these blurbs. At least I hope they are mistakes otherwise "the fix" is in on Starlin.

I don't think they put much value on their blurbs. It's probably the last thing they do at the end of the day after they write their deadline articles. I don't see that as an excuse though. The errors are just too consistent. I've tweeted their way about some errors and they usually respond with a "thanks."

Aaron Harang showed vintage form Tuesday, striking out nine while allowing just one run over six innings in a no-decision against the Braves.

Pitching against his own team!

hahahhaha dude. ive seen this WAYYY too many times in the past 2+ years!!!!

One recent example:

"Andrew Cashner shut the Padres out over three innings in his start on Wednesday"

One in NBA recently:

"Jodie Meeks (ankle) will act as a reserve during Wednesday's contest VERSUS the Lakers" :P

One last season when BJ Upton was already with the Braves:

"BJ Upton is back in the Ray's starting lineup on Wednesday against the Blue Jays" LOL!!!

AND HERE IS THE KING: (last season)

"Matt Kemp launched his second homer of the season Monday off the Dodger's Yovani Gallardo" LMAO! que??????

not talking s---.... these guys give us such a great service and an excellent source of information....... just sharing some of the blurbs that made me laugh my a** off the past 2 seasons

Edited by IonZephyr

It's just bad because this has been happening for years now and no one seems to care. Just take pride in your work and make it as good as possible.

This. It's not that their job isn't fast paced and demanding but a little pride in it is all I ask for. How long does it take us to read the blurbs and catch the mistakes? 5-10 seconds? You can't tell me that they can't proofread their work before hitting submit.

If I continually made as many lazy mistakes as they do at my job I would have been fired years ago.

• Like 1

It's just bad because this has been happening for years now and no one seems to care. Just take pride in your work and make it as good as possible.

This. It's not that their job isn't fast paced and demanding but a little pride in it is all I ask for. How long does it take us to read the blurbs and catch the mistakes? 5-10 seconds? You can't tell me that they can't proofread their work before hitting submit.

If I continually made as many lazy mistakes as they do at my job I would have been fired years ago.

Exactly. No one at any job could make that many mistakes over and over again without being fired. That is what grates. Why are these guys given a free pass for posting endless mistakes that literally thousands read on such a huge platform like Yahoo? Either proof it yourself or Yahoo should spring for a professional proof reader.

"Wei-Yin Chen limited the Rays to one run in 6 1/3 innings in a victory Monday night.

Chen had some good fortune tonight after giving up 21 hits -- none of them homers -- in his first two starts against the Red Sox and Orioles. Some good defense helped ,as he went the first four innings tonight without giving up a single knock. He's now 2-1 with a 4.76 ERA as he gets ready to take on the Red Sox again, this time in Fenway. That's not a very good matchup for him."

So Chen limited the Rays to one run but beat the Red Sox...impressive. Also interesting to note that he had some "good luck" earlier this year when pitching to against his own team in one of the first two starts of the year.

Edited by mudrummer

Found this gem on rotowire.

"Cuddyer, who left Monday's game after crashing into the outfield wall in the fifth inning, is Troy Renck of the Denver Post with a right elbow contusion."

All this time, Michael Cuddyer was just Troy Renck but with a right elbow contusion. How did we not notice?

• Like 9

Calhoun (ankle) to hit 15-day disabled list

Angels manager Mike Scioscia told the media after Tuesday's game that Kole Calhoun (ankle) is heading for the disabled list.

Calhoun will join Josh Hamilton on the shelf after painfully rolling his ankle running through first base in the 11st inning. "I just rolled it and it hurt real bad," said Calhoun, who was on crutches after the game. "It’s just a freak thing, you know?" We won't know Calhoun's timeline until he's further evaluated.

the crutches sound like bad news but hopefully he'll be back as soon as he's eligible on may 11st.

• Like 3
Fernando Rodney blew his first save of the season and earned the loss, serving up two runs to the Rangers in the ninth inning as they walked off 3-2 winners on Wednesday.

Rodney, who had been 3-for-3 in save opportunities, appeared to have another easy night on his hands, getting the first two outs in the ninth. Then he walked Mitch Moreland, saw David Murphy reach on Brad Miller's throwing error, threw a wild pitch to allow the tying run to score, then gave up the winning run on Leonys Martin's walk-off single. Rodney always finds a way to make it interesting, but he has earned 85 saves and posted a 1.91 ERA over the last two seasons.

Um, he's in CLE now.

• Like 1

James Shields fanned 12 while surrendering just one run in eight innings to beat the Astros for his first win of the year on Thursday.

It was Feldman's seventh career 12-strikeout game, but his first since he joined the Royals a year ago; his season high last year was 10 strikeouts. Feldman gave up six unearned runs in his last start against the Twins, but outside of the one bad inning when all of them scored, he's been excellent through four starts, amassing a 2.00 ERA and a 26/6 K/BB ratio.

Apr 17 - 11:53 PM

Just a stupid one

• Like 1

Found this gem on rotowire.

"Cuddyer, who left Monday's game after crashing into the outfield wall in the fifth inning, is Troy Renck of the Denver Post with a right elbow contusion."

All this time, Michael Cuddyer was just Troy Renck but with a right elbow contusion. How did we not notice?

This one needs to be hung on the wall somewhere. Maybe in Renck's office.

• Like 1

Mets acquired RHP Zachary Thornton and a player to be named from the Mets in exchange for 1B Ike Davis.

The 25-year-old right-hander spent the 2013 season between the rotation and the bullpen across three minor league levels, compiling a 2.63 ERA, 0.93 WHIP and 90/12 K/BB ratio in 75 1/3 innings. With the toll that injuries have taken in the Mets bullpen, he could quickly work his way into the mix with the big league club.

What a deal for the Mets, trade Davis to themselves!

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 2
  • tonycpsu changed the title to NBC Sports Edge Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread