NBC Sports Edge Forums

NBC Sports Edge Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread

• Mark Melancon secured his second save in as many nights against the Padres on Friday, allowing one hit and striking out one batter. 

Melancon ran into a little bit of trouble in the ninth after a fielding error by Fernando Tatis Jr. put David Peralta on base with one out. Josh VanMeter followed with a single to put two men on. The 36-year-old right-hander got Tim Locastro to strike out swinging, then induced a groundout by Ketel Marte to lock down the save. 

Apr 3, 2021, 2:27 AM ET

•  
Edited by posty
  • Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the day there was a thread that posted many of the many misses in the Rotoworld/Sportsedge universe. Seems as good of a time to resurrect as any.  For example did you know Ronald Acuna an

I guess Turnbull is going to try and pitch to Gary with his left today... seriously how do you write for a fantasy site and not even know which hand a dude throws with. 

Not to mention, how is he going to rejoin the Reds rotation this weekend if his minor league rehab start is Thursday? 

Posted Images

Chris Paddack took the loss on Sunday against the Diamondbacks after giving up three runs (two earned) on four hits and three walks with three strikeouts. 

The Diamondbacks got to Paddack early with two runs in the first inning off a David Peralta triple that drove in Ketel Marte and Christian Walker. Another run would score in the third and Paddack was done after four innings at 89 pitches. Paddack curiously didn't throw his curveball in this one, featuring only the fastball and changeup as he works on establishing his comment early on. The 25-year-old right-hander is in line to face the Texas Rangers in Arlington on Saturday. 

working on establishing his, comment. I guess he had something to say.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in the day there was a thread that posted many of the many misses in the Rotoworld/Sportsedge universe. Seems as good of a time to resurrect as any. 

For example did you know Ronald Acuna and Ozzie Albies hit back to back home runs in the first inning yesterday? This is seemingly impossible given Acuna leads off and Albies bats 5th and is complicated by the fact Acuna did not homer last night...

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/baseball/mlb/player-news/10079366

Edited by mudrummer
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Back in the day there was a thread that posted many of the many misses in the Rotoworld/Sportsedge universe. Seems as good of a time to resurrect as any. 

For example did you know Ronald Acuna and Ozzie Albies hit back to back home runs in the first inning yesterday? This is seemingly impossible given Acuna leads off and Albies bats 5th and is complicated by the fact Acuna did not homer last night...

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/baseball/mlb/player-news/10079366

At least in our hearts they hit back to back homers

• tonycpsu changed the title to NBC Sports Edge Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/baseball/mlb/player/20033/javier-baez

Javier Baez is not in the Cubs' starting lineup for Saturday's game against the Brewers.

Baez will get the day off to reset mentally after getting off to an abysmal start at the plate, slashing .233/.273/.507 with 12 runs scored, six homers, 17 RBI and five stolen bases in 19 games this season

Yep. Abysmal.
The #3 ranked batter in a 5x5 AVG league, and #5 in 5x5 OBP.
Personally I would love to have all my players this abysmal.
[...] I have no idea how these people still have a job.
Good thing this one is not working for NASA. Would put space exploration on hold permanently.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed offensive language.
34 minutes ago, JCD said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/baseball/mlb/player/20033/javier-baez

Yep. Abysmal.
The #3 ranked batter in a 5x5 AVG league, and #5 in 5x5 OBP.
Personally I would love to have all my players this abysmal.
[...] I have no idea how these people still have a job.
Good thing this one is not working for NASA. Would put space exploration on hold permanently.

I read the above blurb about Baez's "abysmal" start and laughed too, but it does underscore in a way the problem with writing a blurb. The writer makes his point further:  

The power and speed combo production has been nice for fantasy managers, but his plate skills have been horrendous so far. The 28-year-old shortstop has struck out in nearly half (35) of his 78 plate appearances to open the 2021 campaign. Nico Hoerner is starting at shortstop and batting eighth on Saturday afternoon.

So you're being selective in your editing here which is not fair. This is a very idiosyncratic thing, because the writer is acknowledging Baez's good raw numbers but pointing out that he's struck out a ton. To call it abysmal is of course a poor choice of words, but the rest of his point is reasonable. This is the debate going on with Javy Baez right now-can he go 30/30 and strike out 200 times and walk fewer than 20 with a sub-.230 average? It would be an unheard of season but seems possible. For the record, Javy is my favorite player in all of baseball and I'll defend him. But the level of disdain you're throwing out about Nasa and people having a job and all that is a bit aggressive IMO. 

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

I read the above blurb about Baez's "abysmal" start and laughed too, but it does underscore in a way the problem with writing a blurb. The writer makes his point further:  

The power and speed combo production has been nice for fantasy managers, but his plate skills have been horrendous so far. The 28-year-old shortstop has struck out in nearly half (35) of his 78 plate appearances to open the 2021 campaign. Nico Hoerner is starting at shortstop and batting eighth on Saturday afternoon.

So you're being selective in your editing here which is not fair. This is a very idiosyncratic thing, because the writer is acknowledging Baez's good raw numbers but pointing out that he's struck out a ton. To call it abysmal is of course a poor choice of words, but the rest of his point is reasonable. This is the debate going on with Javy Baez right now-can he go 30/30 and strike out 200 times and walk fewer than 20 with a sub-.230 average? It would be an unheard of season but seems possible. For the record, Javy is my favorite player in all of baseball and I'll defend him. But the level of disdain you're throwing out about Nasa and people having a job and all that is a bit aggressive IMO. 

You, just like blurb person forget that Runs and RBIs count too. And in real life that is what actually counts.
Fantasy or real life manager would take that gladly.
BTW with only 2 more BH, his AVG would be .260.
But you think it is completely reasonable to deservedly bench a guy who drives in 145 runs.
Nope.
Nico Hoerner does not start because of Baez's plate discipline.
And you don't get to underproject HRs and SBs, while keeping the bad BA, and high K%. That is not how it works.
His extrapolated numbers for 162 games is 102 Runs, 145 RBIs, 51 HRs, 43 SBs with nearly 300 Ks.
Obviously non of those will remain this high.
Still blurb person has no idea what they talking about. It is ridiculous. You don't bench the player who carries the team for a guy who doesn't strike out that much but does virtually nothing.
He is on the bench because he started every game so far..

Edited by JCD

Ok dude, calm down. He's getting a day off today, no one is saying he's "benched". There's too much going on to unpack here, but you should take this one to vent and rant next time. I agree with quite a few of your points but this doesn't fall into the mistake category. If you want to argue semantics, I prefer to reserve judgment for the ridiculously simple mistakes they make, like actual factual mistakes, misprints, typos, etc., rather than something that is subjective like an opinion. I'll needle them mercilessly if they can't be bothered to get a spelling, team name, or statistic correct, but I have to allow some leeway for the subjective side of things. 

Again, I'm in total agreement with you that this writer is wrong, and made a poor choice of words, but you presented only half the blurb, so I put the rest into context. What I do find most laughable is when conflicting opinions are expressed about the same players on this site depending on who's writing up the blurb. They have no problem telling you Yermin has an unsustainable BABIP or that Adolis Garcia doesn't make enough contact to hit 40 HRs; its just as well to point out Baez's outrageous K rate; which is alarming, and also unsustainable. Owners of his might not realize how much he's struck out thus far, so it is relevant. It's not different from a write up that tells us a pitcher is outperforming his peripherals one way or another. So while I often share your sentiment that they have a cushy job and often overlook the obvious, I try to maintain my own view of players despite the chatter, while keeping an open mind to one viewpoint or another. I posted about Baez a few days ago in his thread, we can take this discussion there if you're interested.

8 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Ok dude, calm down. He's getting a day off today, no one is saying he's "benched". There's too much going on to unpack here, but you should take this one to vent and rant next time. I agree with quite a few of your points but this doesn't fall into the mistake category. If you want to argue semantics, I prefer to reserve judgment for the ridiculously simple mistakes they make, like actual factual mistakes, misprints, typos, etc., rather than something that is subjective like an opinion. I'll needle them mercilessly if they can't be bothered to get a spelling, team name, or statistic correct, but I have to allow some leeway for the subjective side of things. 

Again, I'm in total agreement with you that this writer is wrong, and made a poor choice of words, but you presented only half the blurb, so I put the rest into context. What I do find most laughable is when conflicting opinions are expressed about the same players on this site depending on who's writing up the blurb. They have no problem telling you Yermin has an unsustainable BABIP or that Adolis Garcia doesn't make enough contact to hit 40 HRs; its just as well to point out Baez's outrageous K rate; which is alarming, and also unsustainable. Owners of his might not realize how much he's struck out thus far, so it is relevant. It's not different from a write up that tells us a pitcher is outperforming his peripherals one way or another. So while I often share your sentiment that they have a cushy job and often overlook the obvious, I try to maintain my own view of players despite the chatter, while keeping an open mind to one viewpoint or another. I posted about Baez a few days ago in his thread, we can take this discussion there if you're interested.

Blurb person's "getting a mental reset", and talking about K rate means exactly that he is benched because of the strike outs. Clear as chrystal. No semantics here.
Half the blurb is plenty enough to see how bad it is.
Poor choice of words is called bad writing.
I don't argue semantics. That is the escape to people who are wrong but can't admit it.
Owners not realizing how much he strikes out, has nothing to do with the clamed mental break, and being Abysmal at the plate. Seems like you do the semantics.
And don't just call people DUDE, it is offensive. And don't tell people to calm down when clearly there is nothing that suggest that a person is nervous. Psychological projection is offensive.
No, I don't want to discuss this any further as there is nothing more to discuss about this. I merely pointed out how bad is what blurb person wrote, and you try to defend them desperately like it is you who wrote it.
Have a nice day.

Edited by JCD

I love how Blurb Guy this year started using “CSW%” without ever citing Nick Pollack or his website - now that’s EDGE-quality stuff!

Could be worse.  They could be Yahoo!

Salvador Perez exited Monday's game against the Tigers due to right thumb discomfort.

Advice: Perez jammed his thumb on a plate at the plate in the third inning, but he remained in the game initially before eventually being pulled. It's unclear if the Rockies sent him for tests, but he's considered day-to-day for now. Perez was playing in his 1,000th career game on Monday

Was it a dinner plate somebody left behind and why did the Rockies who were not even involved in the game send him for the tests?  Can't win, might as well be healers I guess.

Edited by TheBoatmen

I guess Turnbull is going to try and pitch to Gary with his left today... seriously how do you write for a fantasy site and not even know which hand a dude throws with. 

47B97F8A-D096-47FD-B2E6-189C08548BA9.png

• Thanks 2
Posted (edited)

Jordan Hicks was removed against the Cardinals with tightness in his right forearm. 

Hicks was removed after getting two outs and allowing a run, and clearly was not feeling great with a wince on his face before leaving. He'll assuredly undergo testing, and a trip to the injured list seems very probably regardless of the results of that imaging. 

Most of us thought Hicks was pitching on borrowed time. Having him face off against your own hitters surely isn't the best use of his innings!
Edited by Richard Kimble

I always when Blurb Guy puts something extra in a blurb like this. Dozens of players get days off for random reasons every damn day - but it's mine we get to put the intriguing extra spin on:

Wed, May 5

Trent Grisham is not in the Padres' starting lineup Wednesday night against the Pirates.

Advice: There should be an update soon if this is anything more than just a routine day of rest. Tommy Pham is playing center field and batting leadoff for the Padres versus Pittsburgh right-hander JT Brubaker. Manny Machado is also sitting, with Ha-seong Kim covering third base and batting seventh.

MoreEDGE Daily Lineups

(NBCSportsEDGE.com)

Wed, May 12

Yusei Kikuchi recorded a season-high 11 strikeouts over seven innings on Tuesday in a no-decision against the Dodgers.

Advice: Kikuchi yielded six hits, including a solo homer to Max Muncy in the fourth inning. He generated a season-high 17 swinging strikes and finished with a 32 percent CSW (called strikes plus whiffs). The 29-year-old southpaw has been on an impressive run of late, completing seven frames, while also allowing three earned runs or fewer in three consecutive starts.

Here's the thing, though, Kikuchi didn't finish the seventh inning. It was a great outing, but he sandwiched a pair of singles around a strikeout and left with 2 on, both of which came around to score. These blurb writers are worse than members of this forum who jump onto the closer thread the moment a hit or walk is issued to pre-claim the blown save, except the forum can be forgiven b/c none of us are paid for it 😂

Asdrúbal Cabrera went 4-for-5 with a three-run homer on Tuesday, leading the Diamondbacks to an 11-3 victory over the Marlins.

Cabrera put the exclamation point on the Diamondbacks' blowout victory, capping off a season-high four-hit performance, with a three-run blast to right field off righty Luis Madero in the eighth inning. It was his fourth long ball of the season. The 35-year-old veteran infielder owns a robust .290/.398/.486 triple-slash line with 18 runs scored, four homers and 18 RBI across 128 plate appearances.

----

I know what is meant here, but isn't there technically only two slashes?

• 3 weeks later...

The blurbmeister went all Black Swan with their take on Winker's performance in game 1 of the doubleheader:

Jesse Winker went 4-for-5 against the Nationals in Wednesday's suspended game to raise his average to .360.

Advice: Winker regained the league batting average lead from teammate Nick Castellanos, who is sitting at .355. If this keeps up, we wonder which player will resort to sabotage in September in order to win the batting crown. Winker should have the advantage there while hitting ahead of Castellanos; he can try to distract his teammate while on the basepaths and make it more difficult for Castellanos to focus. Castellanos will only be able to respond by trying to hit liners at Winker. On the plus side, if Castellanos does drill the runner, it's an automatic hit for him.

11 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

The blurbmeister went all Black Swan with their take on Winker's performance in game 1 of the doubleheader:

Could have dropped a Tonya Harding reference in there if they really wanted to make their point. It reminds me a little of one of my favorite all-time headlines from The Onion: (paraphrasing)

Teammates Billy Martin and Mickey Mantle locked in heated race to surpass .400 BA (Blood Alchohol) for the season

Is this even worth mentioning as an "update"?

Willie Calhoun tripled on Thursday in the Rangers' loss to the Mariners.

Calhoun lined out his first two plate appearances before smacking a two-out triple to left field in the sixth inning. It was his lone hit in four at-bats in the low-scoring affair as the Rangers managed just six hits combined in the shutout loss. The 26-year-old outfielder has morphed into an everyday player, hitting .262/.329/.438 with 14 runs scored, five homers and 13 RBI across 143 plate appearances this season.

Angels manager Justin Upton told reporters late Tuesday that Justin Upton (leg) is "going to be just fine."

Proof reading people, it's not that hard. Similarly...

Matt Olson went 2-for-4 with a solo homer and three RBI on Tuesday in the Athletics' win over the Mariners.

Olson led off the second inning with his 14th round-tripper of the season, sending a 105.6 mph fly ball into the left-center field seats in the second inning. It was his 14th round-tripper of the season.

How many round-trippers does he have on the season, I forgot?

58 minutes ago, collucho said:

Roto said Yordan got 3 hits but the box score says otherwise!!!! 

I like Roto's version better. How do I get my league to use those statistics? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Someone didn't do their homework obviously...

Yu Darvish struck out 11 in six innings of one-run baseball on Monday in a victory over the Dodgers. 

In this contest, Darvish becomes the fastest in terms of games appeared to reach 1,500 strikeouts. That record will likely be broken by Jacob deGrom in a couple of weeks, but congrats to him, anyway. The right-hander was sensational in this outing; striking out seven straight at one time and allowing just a solo homer to Mookie Betts in the contest. He improves his record in his first year with the Padres to 7-2, and lowers his ERA to 2.50. That ERA isn't really indicative of how good Darvish has been this year. It is hard to imagine he won't wreck the Diamondbacks' lineup over the weekend. 

I like the line about-

3 hours ago, posty said:

lowers his ERA to 2.50. That ERA isn't really indicative of how good Darvish has been this year

We're dumping on a 2.50 ERA now? I know pitchers are good this year, but who do we really expect to finish even close to 2.50 that's currently in that range? Darvish is one of maybe a half dozen that can project for that kind of ERA going forward. Sometimes these stat heads really find the most droll way possible to overstate the obvious. I also theorized last night that Yu has Mookie on his fantasy team, and needed to get him going.

Edited by Richard Kimble