NBC Sports EDGE Forums

NBC Sports Edge Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread

Sidearmer

Sonny Gray (shoulder) will make a minor league rehab start Thursday with Triple-A Louisville.

Gray went down with a right groin strain two weeks ago, but he's ready to return to game action. If all goes well, he could rejoin the Reds' rotation this weekend against the Braves.

Shoulder? Groin? Why not both? 

20 minutes ago, itaos said:

Sonny Gray (shoulder) will make a minor league rehab start Thursday with Triple-A Louisville.

Gray went down with a right groin strain two weeks ago, but he's ready to return to game action. If all goes well, he could rejoin the Reds' rotation this weekend against the Braves.

Could be a foot issue or hip as well...

3 hours ago, itaos said:

Not to mention, how is he going to rejoin the Reds rotation this weekend if his minor league rehab start is Thursday? 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Caelum said:

Not to mention, how is he going to rejoin the Reds rotation this weekend if his minor league rehab start is Thursday? 

Joining the rotation doesn't mean that he is always going to start that day, it just means that he is back in the five (or six) man rotation...

Edited by posty

4 minutes ago, posty said:

Joining the rotation doesn't mean that he is always going to start that day, it just means that he is back in the five (or six) man rotation...

True, I initially interpreted it as saying he would start over the weekend, but that may not be what they meant.

Brandon Woodruff struck out eight while surrendering one run on four hits over six innings in Tuesday’s 2-1 win over the Cubs.

The eight strikeouts were nice, less so the three walks which also grace Woodruff’s line. Patrick Wilson nicked the 28-year-old right-hander for an RBI double in the fourth inning...

Good old Patrick Wilson. I loved him as the lead in Fargo season 2, though I'm not such a fan of the horror genre, where most folks would recognize him from The Conjuring. 

Patrick Wilson, aka 'that guy,' goes viral: 'My plan has been thwarted'

Shohei Ohtani is hitting second and is the designated hitter for Tuesday's game against the Angels.

Ohtani pitched -- and pitched well -- on Tuesday with seven innings of two-run baseball, and he'll show off his hitting prowess on Wednesday. He's hit 31 homers and struck out 87 hitters over the first half of the season, and it would be impossible to overstate just how impressive this is. 

58 minutes ago, posty said:

Shohei Ohtani is hitting second and is the designated hitter for Tuesday's game against the Angels.

Ohtani pitched -- and pitched well -- on Tuesday with seven innings of two-run baseball, and he'll show off his hitting prowess on Wednesday. He's hit 31 homers and struck out 87 hitters over the first half of the season, and it would be impossible to overstate just how impressive this is. 

What, they put Tuesday instead of Wednesday? I can forgive them on this one, the timing of covering a West Coast team from the East (I'm making an educated guess) means a lot of tired writers behind those keyboards. I noticed they messed up Waino's blurb this morning-he was in fact credit with the win. Makes a bit of a difference in how you ultimately view an outing, even though it was a messy one.

Wed, Jul 7

Adam Wainwright allowed three runs on six hits over five innings while taking a no-decision in Tuesday's win over the Giants.

Advice: Wainwright pitched sloppy at times on Tuesday, walking four batters on the evening (against three strikeouts). Despite the unnecessary base-traffic he was able to mostly keep out of run-scoring trouble. Brandon Crawford proved to be his nemesis in this one, delivering a two-run single in the fourth inning and an RBI double in the fifth inning before Wainwright called it a day. The right-handed elder statesman of the Cardinals' staff will open the second half of the campaign the owner of a a nice 3.58 ERA, 1.15 WHIP and 99/31 K/BB ratio (105 2/3 innings) 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

What, they put Tuesday instead of Wednesday?

Nope...  That Ohtani was hitting second against the Angels...

Edited by posty
  • Like 1

Dinelson Lamet (forearm) won't return for the Rockies before the All-Star break.

Not a big surprise. Lamet was placed on the injured list with right forearm inflammation, and he's not going to make a start in one of the final four games before the break. the right-hander should be back before the end of July, but he's always going to represent a substantial injury risk. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

"Braves acquired OF Joc Pederson from the Braves in exchange for 1B Bryce Ball."

That is literally all it says on the first blurb on the player updates as of a few minutes ago. 

You Had One Job Only GIFs | Tenor

"Jarren Duran is hitting seventh and playing centerfield in his debut on Thursday against the Red Sox. "

This is brutal.

Ranger Suarez blew his third save of the season after allowing two runs in the ninth inning during the Phillies suspended game versus the Nationals on Saturday, which they went on to win on Sunday afternoon in extra innings. 

The Phillies handed the southpaw a 2-0 lead on Saturday night, but it would not last long. Suarez surrendered a lead-off single to Starling Marte before Jesus Aguilar would pummel his 17th home run of the season to tie the game up at two. The 25-year-old now carries a 1.22 ERA and 0.81 WHIP this season over 37 frames with 39 punchouts. 

----

Um, the Phillies played the Marlins...

Edited by posty

J.T. Realmuto smashed a two-run homer in the bottom of the 10th to deliver a walk-off victory for the Phillies in their suspended game with the Marlins on Sunday.

The blast came off Marlins closer Yimi Garica and traveled 387 feet over the right center field wall. Realmuto ended up with a 1-for-5 line for the contest and is now batting .267/.366/.449 this season over 243 at-bats with right long balls, 36 RBI, 34 runs scored, and five stolen bases. 

----

Right long balls?  Never heard of that stat before...

Edited by posty

Brad Wieck (hear) will undergo a cardiac ablation procedure.

Wieck went on the injured list earlier this month due to an irregular heart beat. He had a similar procedure back in spring training of 2020. There is no timetable for his return, but it seems unlikely that the lefty will make it back this season.

------

I don't think one would get a cardiac ablation for a "hear" issue...

This actually is a major mistake by Sportsedge to have inaccurate info on Trout from 2 days ago: 

Angels manager Joe Maddon said Monday that Mike Trout's (calf) visit to the doctor went well and the hope is that he can ramp up his activity level soon.

Advice: The skipper also added, though, that there is no timetable for Trout's return. We are now 10 weeks into Trout's projected 6-8 week timetable for a Grade 2 strain of his right calf, and while the club has maintained he hasn't had any setbacks, obviously things are progressing more slowly than anticipated.

I really am not going to investigate the whole timeline here, but most major sites have news items from the same day listing a setback for Trout. It feels like the site most of us on the forum rely on was just too lazy to update this, its just Mike Trout, no big deal. If you didn't already know, don't rely just on this site for news. I went to Journalism school so I know lazy reporting when I see it-its 10X worse now that most "sources" are just tweets or retweets and no one actually has a real source.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/mike_trout_suffers_setback_in_return_from_calf_injury/s1_13237_35459438

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/angels-mike-trout-healing-slowly/

• Like 1

Just to further hammer on the point above, look at the difference between the two articles headlines-One termed it a "setback", the other wrote "healing slowly". You can argue the first is trying to get clicks with a more sensationalist headline, and the second is a more accurate, cautious headline. They know sometimes people only read the first few lines, which is why this particular line is so awful. The first line is optimistic-Angels manager Joe Maddon said Monday that Mike Trout's (calf) visit to the doctor went well and the hope is that he can ramp up his activity level soon.

Followed by a completely useless Advice section that doesn't offer any advice or new information, but again, fails to actually note the information relayed by Maddon that his calf was still an issue keeping him from the field. If there's no news to report, OK, but to botch it this poorly is enough to make me lose what little trust I had in these updates. The first rule of Journalism is, if your Momma says its true, check it out. Always check your sources.

Just now, Richard Kimble said:

Just to further hammer on the point above, look at the difference between the two articles headlines-One termed it a "setback", the other wrote "healing slowly". You can argue the first is trying to get clicks with a more sensationalist headline, and the second is a more accurate, cautious headline. They know sometimes people only read the first few lines, which is why this particular line is so awful. The first line is optimistic-Angels manager Joe Maddon said Monday that Mike Trout's (calf) visit to the doctor went well and the hope is that he can ramp up his activity level soon.

Followed by a completely useless Advice section that doesn't offer any advice or new information, but again, fails to actually note the information relayed by Maddon that his calf was still an issue keeping him from the field. If there's no news to report, OK, but to botch it this poorly is enough to make me lose what little trust I had in these updates. The first rule of Journalism is, if your Momma says its true, check it out. Always check your sources.

Trout is having an “extra-terrestrial” recovery to his injury.

• Like 1

Mike Trout told reporters that he was "encouraged" by the latest MRI results. 

Well, that's nice to hear. Trout continues to try and come back from the Grade 2 strain of his right calf, and positive news is positive news. There's still no timetable for when Trout is even going to start running, however, and that means there's no timetable for when the perennial MVP candidate will be back for the Halos. 

....is it me or have I been reading rotoworld reports the past week or two about how Trout has been running the bases pre-game? Now all the sudden we don't know "when Trout is even going to start running"?.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Mike Trout told reporters that he was "encouraged" by the latest MRI results. 

Well, that's nice to hear. Trout continues to try and come back from the Grade 2 strain of his right calf, and positive news is positive news. There's still no timetable for when Trout is even going to start running, however, and that means there's no timetable for when the perennial MVP candidate will be back for the Halos. 

....is it me or have I been reading rotoworld reports the past week or two about how Trout has been running the bases pre-game? Now all the sudden we don't know "when Trout is even going to start running"?.

Nope not just you. For me, the posters on this forum are the go to source for getting the news into the different threads whether via posting links from team beat writers, national writers (Jeff Passan, Ken Rosenthal) or things posters heard on their team's pre or post game shows that other posters later confirm. The posters here are steps ahead of Rotoworld/ NBC. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

....is it me or have I been reading rotoworld reports the past week or two about how Trout has been running the bases pre-game?

No, scroll up two posts and I laid into them for two full paragraphs in two separate posts about how bad they are reporting around Trout. They clearly have no idea what to tell people, so they are just riding the fence. Terrible, I will forever double check their status updates if I have a shred of doubt.