NBC Sports EDGE Forums

NBC Sports Edge Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread

Sidearmer

Yeah Rotoworld writers - or whatever the F they go by these days - have sucked ever since Rosenthal left.

Enjoy your product, NBC - hope Friends does yet another comeback?

• Like 1

Brendan Kuty of NJ Advance Media reports that the Yankees are "trying to trade" Luke Voit but have not received much interest.

Voit led baseball in home runs last season, but he's struggled both from a performance and injury standpoint in 2021 and is currently down with a knee injury. He wouldn't appear to have a place to play after the Yankees traded for Joey Votto and Anthony Rizzo. The 30-year-old is under team control through 2024.

Sounds like a two headed 1B monster...V to the Izzo? 

• Haha 1

Wander Franco went 2-for-3 and scored a run as the Rays topped the Red Sox on Sunday evening in Tampa Bay.

Franco singled, took second on a wild pitch and ultimately scored on an RBI single by Manuel Margot in the fifth inning. That run would wind up being the difference in the ballgame. With the two-hit attack, the 20-year-old is now hitting .250/.305/.408 with three homers, 14 RBI and a pair of stolen bases in his first 30 games.

48 minutes ago, bluntbros said:

Wander Franco went 2-for-3 and scored a run as the Rays topped the Red Sox on Sunday evening in Tampa Bay.

Franco singled, took second on a wild pitch and ultimately scored on an RBI single by Manuel Margot in the fifth inning. That run would wind up being the difference in the ballgame. With the two-hit attack, the 20-year-old is now hitting .250/.305/.408 with three homers, 14 RBI and a pair of stolen bases in his first 30 games.

Wow, talk about an under-the-radar deadline deal!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Low and Away said:

San Francisco has a Wander Franco listed at 3rd base also. Wonder how many managers originally picked up the wrong one?

I was guilty of that a couple years ago when the clock was near zero on my pick and I hastily grabbed Will Smith, the catcher, when he was a minor leaguer, thinking I was getting closer Will Smith. It happens!

2 hours ago, Caelum said:

I was guilty of that a couple years ago when the clock was near zero on my pick and I hastily grabbed Will Smith, the catcher, when he was a minor leaguer, thinking I was getting closer Will Smith. It happens!

I'm sure there were some people who added the wrong Luis Garcia early this season, you actually had just a 1 in 3 chance if you only knew his name. I think all three of them are currently in the show, too, not 100% positive on the Yankee reliever. 

• Like 1

Joey Gallo went 3-for-4 with two doubles, a three-run homer and two runs scored in a 5-3 win over the Mariners on Thursday. 

Advice: Gallo's first few games with the Yankees didn't go particularly well. Things went very well on Thursday. He lined a a double in his first at-bat and picked up another two-bagger in the contest; but the big blow was a majestic three-run homer that just cleared the right-field fence and turned a 3-2 deficit into a 5-3 lead off Paul Sewald. Gallo has gone deep 26 times now -- 25 of those for the Yankees -- and it's very likely that he's going to add to that total over the next seven or so weeks. 

The madness has to stop. This redefines inaccuracy on another level. Yesterday they had Cole Hamels replacing the injured Cole Hamels, and all season long, players hitting home runs off their own teams, pitchers winning against their squads, etc., how are these people not just trolling us at this point? This one is just plan stupid. 

Juan Soto is dealing with knee pain and will be reevaluated on Friday. 

Nationals manager Dave Martinez told reporters that Soto "felt something in his knee" while scoring a run in the ninth inning against the Phillies in the ninth. The 22-year-old has been hot with the bat and has his OPS up to .927, but with the Nationals no longer a playoff-contending team, they're not going to take any risks with Soto. There's a very good chance he's out of the lineup on Friday against the Braves. 

---

Yeah, you already said that...

Joe Ross didn't factor into the decision after allowing three runs in 6 1/3 innings Thursday against the Phillies. 

Ross allowed five hits and two walks while striking out seven. The hurler gave up a long homer to Bryce Harper in the second and another run scored on a hit-by-pitch to Tres Barrera. Outside of that and a run that scored after he left the game, it was a solid start from a pitcher that has been solid for most of the season. He'll take a 4.02 ERA and 107/33 K/BB ratio into his next scheduled start on Wednesday against the Mets. 

----

So another Phillies run scored when he hit his catcher, whom was catching at the time?

1 hour ago, posty said:

Juan Soto is dealing with knee pain and will be reevaluated on Friday. 

Nationals manager Dave Martinez told reporters that Soto "felt something in his knee" while scoring a run in the ninth inning against the Phillies in the ninth. The 22-year-old has been hot with the bat and has his OPS up to .927, but with the Nationals no longer a playoff-contending team, they're not going to take any risks with Soto. There's a very good chance he's out of the lineup on Friday against the Braves. 

---

Yeah, you already said that...

Please Allow myself to introduce ...myself - Dangerously Austin Powers |  Meme Generator

• Haha 2

Alex Dickerson went 2-for-2 with a walk in the second game of a doubleheader on Saturday against the Red Sox.

Dickerson singled twice and reached via the free pass. The outfielder is now hitting a pedestrian .260/.321/.379 in 68 games -- six of those with Toronto. 

Toronto? Red Sox? It took me a second to figure out the obvious, they're trying to blurb about COREY DICKERSON. Honest mistake, perhaps, if it didn't happen every day. They put the Alex Dick pic on there too, instead of the Corey Dick pic, and yes I realize what I just said, call it an honest mistake.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:21 PM, Richard Kimble said:

Joey Gallo went 3-for-4 with two doubles, a three-run homer and two runs scored in a 5-3 win over the Mariners on Thursday. 

Advice: Gallo's first few games with the Yankees didn't go particularly well. Things went very well on Thursday. He lined a a double in his first at-bat and picked up another two-bagger in the contest; but the big blow was a majestic three-run homer that just cleared the right-field fence and turned a 3-2 deficit into a 5-3 lead off Paul Sewald. Gallo has gone deep 26 times now -- 25 of those for the Yankees -- and it's very likely that he's going to add to that total over the next seven or so weeks. 

The madness has to stop. This redefines inaccuracy on another level. Yesterday they had Cole Hamels replacing the injured Cole Hamels, and all season long, players hitting home runs off their own teams, pitchers winning against their squads, etc., how are these people not just trolling us at this point? This one is just plan stupid. 

Yeah I don’t get it either - I think it’s time to move on to another news source.  It’s gotten completely out of hand now whereas before it was merely really poor editing and occasional glaring factual errors.

Enjoy your acquisition, NBC - rename the next “Friends” reboot as “Friends EDGE” and that should do the trick.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Jesus Sanchez went 1-for-3 with a two-run homer against the Marlins on Sunday. 

Sanchez plated the only two runs for the Marlins on Sunday with a two-run shot off of Tyler Mahle in the first inning. The two runs would turn out to be all Miami needed as they came out on top in the pitcher's duel. The 23-year-old outfielder is up to six homers on the year while hitting .238/.299/.444 over 137 plate appearances. 

Aug 29, 2021, 4:15 PM ET

• Elieser Hernandez will start the first game Tuesday against the Mets. 

The Marlins and Mets are set to resume a suspended game from April which will pick up in the first inning. Hernandez holds a 3.60 ERA in three starts since coming off the injured list and gets the thumbs up as a matchup play in fantasy leagues against the scuffling Mets. 

Aug 31, 2021, 10:55 AM ET

-------------------------------------
    Um, since the first game is the completion of a suspended game, his stats won't count in fantasy leagues unless he was in the starting lineup on your roster in April...  Not sure how the others do it, but putting him in today in Yahoo won't give you his stats...

Kyle Gibson was pounded for eight runs in 5 1/3 innings by the Marlins on Friday.

Gibson has had an exceptional season, but he relies more than most on his defense and Philly's just isn't any good

And exactly which one of these hits was supposed to be an out? Just point out one!
These "blurb analysts" make me sick. I can't understand how these people have this job.

• 2 weeks later...

Angels manager Joe Maddon told reporters that it is unlikely Mike Trout will return this season.

Advice: The superstar outfielder is currently traveling with the team in Chicago with the hopes of returning this year, but Maddon offered his opinion that it's probably not happening. Trout, the consensus top player in baseball over the last decade, posted a .333/.466/.624 slash line this season with 17 home runs over 199 at-bats.

Great way to summarize a long season of horrible inaccuracy from the blurb writers. Those slash numbers are indeed accurate; however, Trout hit 8 HRs in 117 ABs. The writer of this blurb actually was just looking at his profile and gave his 199 AB/18 HR line from the 2020 pandemic season. So they got half of it right, and half of it wrong. Pretty fitting for how they've covered Trout, saying all along a return was in doubt, but holding out false hope and avoiding any progress reports. What a joke.

Edited by Richard Kimble