NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Kirilloff 2021 Outlook

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This forum sure goes from “slightly above average regular” to “league winner” real quick...

Kirilloff’s batted balls so far  104 103.9  103.4 101.2 96.2 95.1 93.9 90.1 83.2 78.1 77.8  

Cleanup and 1b today...hold

Just now, kwelch said:

Is this temporary or will he stick?

Just for today would be the best guess...

Edited by posty

Batting 6th today, so looks like more than a 27th man.  Player comp?  Early micheal Brantley ceiling?

*edit. Probably not enough speed.  Current micheal Brantley ceiling?

Edited by Cesare13
12 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

Great news - I thought they needed to keep him down another week for another year of control....either way it looks like he'll be up soon!  

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they can still send him down later to maintain the extra year of control.  I think it has to do with total days of major league service time, not necessarily the exact date he's first called up.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they can still send him down later to maintain the extra year of control.  I think it has to do with total days of major league service time, not necessarily the exact date he's first called up.

I believe you are correct, he should be sent back for a bit but it's definitely a sign that he'll be up soon. Rosario walked so they could give him the stage. I haven't researched him as well as others, I know there were those wrist issues in 2019 but power is there. I'm seeing projections of a 150 range player for re-drafts, a Lux type situation. Idk if anyone has followed him closer though.

Service time date is this coming Friday. I expected him up on Monday to make it not as obvious. So if he plays today he’s probably still up Either Monday for the Oakland series or they hold him out and bring him up on the Home series vs Pittsburgh 

• Like 1

Assuming the mid-April service date has passed or might soon pass tomorrow or Tuesday, the Twins doubleheader on Tuesday looks like a possible return date for Kirilloff. I imagine they won't have all their players back from Covid protocol and they'll need to have a full lineup for both games.

Just a gut feeling.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like I was wrong about Tuesday but Friday is looking like just about a sure bet now, as the Twins return to Minnesota to face the Pirates. With Kepler & Garlick on the Covid list, and Sano possibly needing some rest with hamstring tightness (Twins said feel comfortable with Kirilloff at LF, RF & 1B), he'll be needed. It does sound like the Twins are most comfortable with Kirilloff at 1B (defensively), but Sano is obviously there, with Donaldson/Arraez at 3B, so it'll be interesting how it plays out.

Rotowire.com: "Max Kepler was placed on the COVID-19 injured list Tuesday, but the team didn't want to have players like Kirilloff fly commercially to the West Coast during the pandemic. This means Kirilloff will have to wait until at least Friday's home game against the Pirates to rejoin the big club."

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Thoughts on if he is worth rostering in seasonal leagues?  Short term playing time or if he hits well he can win an everyday role?

I imagine he'll start in a part-time role. There is a bit of a logjam between usage of Luis Arraez, Willians Astudillo & Kyle Garlick (but injuries have been a problem for the Twins). He will need to hit from the get-go to maintain an everyday role (same goes for every prospect). But if he carries the Twins offense, his bat will be in the lineup.

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins-minor-leagues/kirilloff-preparing-for-big-league-opportunity-r10648

Gardenhire notes, “Right now, we’re trying to keep him ready in right field. We’re trying to keep him ready in left field. We’re trying to keep him ready at first base. I don’t know exactly what the plan is once he gets up there. That’s why I think it’s important to make sure that he’s good in all three of those spots. We’re getting him a lot of time out in right. We’re getting him a lot of time out in left, and we’re getting him plenty of ground balls at first base. So anywhere they need him when he gets up there, he’ll be able to play.”

Gardenhire adds, “He’s such a good hitter. They’re going to want him in the lineup. I know Rocco’s going to want to put him out there, so the more positions he can play, the more versatility he has, the more spots they’re able to stick that kid in the lineup and let him swing.”

He will get call up on Friday or the latest next Monday since the twins had a few rain delays which affects his service time. 

I'm thinking Friday is definitely a possibility depending on the severity of Sano injury. Nevertheless he will get call up soon and needs to be picked up because of his upside. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I imagine he'll start in a part-time role. There is a bit of a logjam between usage of Luis Arraez, Willians Astudillo & Kyle Garlick (but injuries have been a problem for the Twins). He will need to hit from the get-go to maintain an everyday role (same goes for every prospect). But if he carries the Twins offense, his bat will be in the lineup.

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins-minor-leagues/kirilloff-preparing-for-big-league-opportunity-r10648

Gardenhire notes, “Right now, we’re trying to keep him ready in right field. We’re trying to keep him ready in left field. We’re trying to keep him ready at first base. I don’t know exactly what the plan is once he gets up there. That’s why I think it’s important to make sure that he’s good in all three of those spots. We’re getting him a lot of time out in right. We’re getting him a lot of time out in left, and we’re getting him plenty of ground balls at first base. So anywhere they need him when he gets up there, he’ll be able to play.”

Gardenhire adds, “He’s such a good hitter. They’re going to want him in the lineup. I know Rocco’s going to want to put him out there, so the more positions he can play, the more versatility he has, the more spots they’re able to stick that kid in the lineup and let him swing.”

That quote was from a week ago. Reading between the line, it was an excuse to not call him up earlier. Blah blah, we need him to work on his defense. When in reality it was due to service time. 

I disagreed on the part-time role part. Once he gets call up he will start every day. A manager can't be that stupid to think Cave is a better player than Kirilloff? So I expect him to replace Cave at the bare minimum. In addition Twins want to win this year so it makes sense to play their top prospect every day. And unlike Vaughn, Kirilloff actually is a real OF so defensively it shouldn't be an issue. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Miketrout009 said:

That quote was from a week ago. Reading between the line, it was an excuse to not call him up earlier. Blah blah, we need him to work on his defense. When in reality it was due to service time. 

I disagreed on the part-time role part. Once he gets call up he will start every day. A manager can't be that stupid to think Cave is a better player than Kirilloff? So I expect him to replace Cave at the bare minimum. In addition Twins want to win this year so it makes sense to play their top prospect every day. And unlike Vaughn, Kirilloff actually is a real OF so defensively it shouldn't be an issue. 

Exactly- this is a high pedigree prospect. You do not promote him to play him in a part-time capacity.

He could not be recalled until Friday.  Has to be for home games.  Only taxi squad players can be recalled on the road due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.  

I sure hope he plays everyday. I was surprised to see Rocco Baldelli use Kyle Garlick to pinch hit for Kirilloff late during the first game of the Red Sox doubleheader.

The issue with him really isn't whether there is an opening to play every day.  There should be.  The issue is whether he will hit enough to play every day.  

Due to the effects the pandemic has had on baseball as a whole, it's so hard to know what a prospect like Kirilloff actually is.  No minor league numbers since 2019.  He raked in A ball. only had a .413 slug in AA, never played in AAA.  What is he at the mlb level?   I'm really luke warm on rostering guys like this in leagues where roster spots are scarce, or where I don't have a slot I want to open up for such a dart throw of a player.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

Due to the effects the pandemic has had on baseball as a whole, it's so hard to know what a prospect like Kirilloff actually is.  No minor league numbers since 2019.  He raked in A ball. only had a .413 slug in AA, never played in AAA.  What is he at the mlb level?   I'm really luke warm on rostering guys like this in leagues where roster spots are scarce, or where I don't have a slot I want to open up for such a dart throw of a player.  

I'm gonna tell you this, and I am not flaming, he just looks like a guy that should hit 280-290 with 25 HR and no speed at peak to me. Great OF4/5 but to me not even close to the other top prospects

1 minute ago, CharlesHustle said:

I'm gonna tell you this, and I am not flaming, he just looks like a guy that should hit 280-290 with 25 HR and no speed at peak to me. Great OF4/5 but to me not even close to the other top prospects

.280 with 25 hrs would be a good season for current Charlie blackmon.  I'd be ecstatic with anything close to that.  

At peak, he'll hit .300 with 30 HR and 100 RBI.

His Minor League career has been plagued by injuries, but when he's managed to stay healthy for an extended period, he's been a monster. His 2018 was great. Got hurt twice in 2019, but by the end of the season he was healthy and homered in 4 straight AA playoff games. Reports from the alternate site last year were glowing, and the Twins were confident enough to start him in a playoff game.

His back story is great too. He was home schooled and spent his afternoons working on his swing with his dad, who is a professional hitting instructor.

Whether he gets anywhere near his ceiling this year, I don't know. His Spring Training was pretty bad, and it has to be hard not having played in real games for a long time. But I have zero doubt that he has the ceiling of an elite hitter.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

.280 with 25 hrs would be a good season for current Charlie blackmon.  I'd be ecstatic with anything close to that.  

Todays day and age with guys hitting 260 with 20 homers and steals, Alex is a good player with no a long track record is all I am saying. No speed, pulls the ball a lot, a good prospect but not even close to the other boys on top of the board