NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Kirilloff 2021 Outlook

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This forum sure goes from “slightly above average regular” to “league winner” real quick...

beat writer:  Alex Kirilloff is going to DH for the Saints today, beginning a rehab assignment. If that goes smoothly, he'll play the outfield tomorrow. If things go well, there's a chance it's o

Another one today. Absolutely smoked. Should be back with the twins tomorrow or Saturday, make sure he's not on your wire.  

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

AK left the game with a left ankle sprain per NBCSE.

A "low grade" ankle sprain according to rotowire.

1 to 3 weeks according to a quick google search.  Not great, but at lt least its not the wrist.

Bad thing for owners is that Garlick and Buxton should be back by then.

Edited by Cesare13

This guy is so tempting....but then you think about it for a second, and realize that he's like owning a bad disease. I'm shocked he's playing through an ankle sprain on that dead end team... I'd hold him out just for precaution. Why rush anything?...the Twins are doing nothing this year, and they're going to be getting players back soon.

Edited by nlm
7 minutes ago, nlm said:

This guy is so tempting....but then you think about it for a second, and realize that he's like owning a bad disease. I'm shocked he's playing through an ankle sprain on that dead end team... I'd hold him out just for precaution. Why rush anything?...the Twins are doing nothing this year, and they're going to be getting players back soon.

Accurate but maybe it is a good sign they are putting him out there.  

I wish they would stick him at 1B.  Playing MLB outfield is an injury waiting to happen.

• Like 3
Just now, B&F said:

Accurate but maybe it is a good sign they are putting him out there.  

I wish they would stick him at 1B.  Playing MLB outfield is an injury waiting to happen.

Oh yeah, I mean, if his ankle is fine then let him play...but his production has been crap since he returned from his wrist injury. And I'm guessing that injury took a lot of power out of his bat for now... I'm still waiting to see him hit #6 on the year. 

Its gotten to the point where you can't gain ANY information from injury reports.  You'd think these would be getting more accurate.  Kiriloff is exhibit A...."minor wrist sprain or season ending surgery?"........"ankle sprain-sure fire IL stint or starting the next day?" .  

33 minutes ago, nlm said:

Oh yeah, I mean, if his ankle is fine then let him play...but his production has been crap since he returned from his wrist injury. And I'm guessing that injury took a lot of power out of his bat for now... I'm still waiting to see him hit #6 on the year. 

He's really hasnt been crap since returning at all, batting 290 since his return and has missed out on multiple home runs by a couple feet.

4 hours ago, Chase Money said:

His Statcast and expected stats are crazy good. I predict he has a monster 2nd half.

They do look good.  They have held steady since his return.  

Pre-injury he had a 96.5 average exit velocity and 63.6% hard hit rate. Post-injury those numbers are 91.0 and 40.4%.

I suppose it’s possible the wrist has something to do with that, but 91 EV and 40.4% hard hit are still really good. The pre-injury numbers were ridiculous and not really sustainable for anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
5 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Pre-injury he had a 96.5 average exit velocity and 63.6% hard hit rate. Post-injury those numbers are 91.0 and 40.4%.

I suppose it’s possible the wrist has something to do with that, but 91 EV and 40.4% hard hit are still really good. The pre-injury numbers were ridiculous and not really sustainable for anyone.

Those numbers are pretty close to Aaron judges career average EV and hard hit. So I guess they're sustainable for someone. 😂😂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gumbercules said:

Those numbers are pretty close to Aaron judges career average EV and hard hit. So I guess they're sustainable for someone. 😂😂

What is his launch angle though? He is no where near the production of judge and her s Statcast are declining not holding at the moment

I'm trying to be patient and give him leash, with the nagging injuries, etc., and the fact that he hit 4 HRs in 5 games or whatever it was, that showed he belongs. He's ultimately replaceable in alot of leagues, just depends who you're replacing him with. I like that he's still been hitting in a premium spot in an offense that still has the potential to take off and provide lots of RBI opportunities. 

That short bust HR production could happen again, but still his profile is that of a CI/OF type who doesn't steal bases or hit for much average, so keep that in mind, if Joc Pederson or Christian Walker types are available in your league, I'd strongly consider them as alternatives to Kirilloff this year if you really need the power. It's a much tougher call comparing him to someone like Vogelbach or Bobby Bradley, both widely available and hitting with power in recent days, but will they absolutely kill your BA? 

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I'm trying to be patient and give him leash, with the nagging injuries, etc., and the fact that he hit 4 HRs in 5 games or whatever it was, that showed he belongs. He's ultimately replaceable in alot of leagues, just depends who you're replacing him with. I like that he's still been hitting in a premium spot in an offense that still has the potential to take off and provide lots of RBI opportunities. 

That short bust HR production could happen again, but still his profile is that of a CI/OF type who doesn't steal bases or hit for much average, so keep that in mind, if Joc Pederson or Christian Walker types are available in your league, I'd strongly consider them as alternatives to Kirilloff this year if you really need the power. It's a much tougher call comparing him to someone like Vogelbach or Bobby Bradley, both widely available and hitting with power in recent days, but will they absolutely kill your BA? 

Agreed…and when Kepler and buxton return, he could platoon with larnach 

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

What is his launch angle though? He is no where near the production of judge and her s Statcast are declining not holding at the moment

The comment was more of a joke about the ridiculousness of judge when he said those numbers are unsustainable for anyone. Since judge has actually sustained those numbers over his career. And I'm referring to the 96.5 EV 63.6 hardhit

Edited by Gumbercules

Just FYI; Buxton and Arraez back tomorrow, it appears and Kepler soon thereafter, likely middle to the end of this week. About to be much more crowded until (and if) they make some trades

1 minute ago, NoHablaIngles said:

It seems Larnach has surpassed him on the depth chart. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Kiriloff gets sent down once Buxton and Kepler are back. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Neither of them have done anything to put themselves ahead of the other...imo   ( I think that's bad grammar, sounds funny. haha )

4 minutes ago, Strikeforce316 said:

Neither of them have done anything to put themselves ahead of the other...imo   ( I think that's bad grammar, sounds funny. haha )

Strictly off performance, Larnachs been the better hitter lately. And listening to some of the twins guys, it seems they agree. 

Kiriloffs had more off days than Larnach. And Larnach has been moved up higher in the batting order. 

I think I read he made a baserunning error rounding third as well so might be on a short leash

Homered yesterday. Hopefully it is a start of another HR binge and not an outlier. He has been hitting fairly well so the question with him since his injury is whether the power will return.

• Like 1