NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fantasy busts of the year 2020/2021

31 minutes ago, QingJames said:

I wouldn’t say a guy who was drafted in the first round but produced top-50 value isn’t a bust. AD, for instance, had an ADP in the top 5 and he never came close to that per game when he was healthy. I consider him an enormous bust even if he was top 50.

? ad 17th overall per game. and i would bet that his 71% ft% would of positively regressed back to his mean ft%. hes been low 80's for years. (punt ft% and ad jumps up to 3 overall.)

ad only played 23 games so i have to think most, if not all his numbers would of increased a tad along with that ft%

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The entire season has been a bust

Definetly LaMarcus Aldridge. Never seen such a decline from one season to the next (except for injuries) when a dude stays with the same team.

Calling John Collins a bust when he's 41 overall for the season doesn't really make much sense. Yes his ADP was around late 2nd/early 3rd, but people with common sense wouldn't dare draft him higher t

1 hour ago, jay_00 said:

Calling John Collins a bust when he's 41 overall for the season doesn't really make much sense. Yes his ADP was around late 2nd/early 3rd, but people with common sense wouldn't dare draft him higher than 3rd round because of Capela. I was able to take him for 31 bucks in an auction (which is early 3rd round) and I am very satisfied with the production I got from him. He went $1 cheaper than Nurkic in that league so I was pretty happy with that. I expected dips in pts, rebs, and blks, but I expected great percentages and low turnovers and that's what I got.

His average fantasy points per game has been virtually identical to Ayton’s. Both of them are ranked so highly bc so many people have missed games. 

Ayton for where he was drafted. Everyone expected his number to rise with the point god.

Steven Adams. He' a two CAT guy now for fg% and rebs. Scoring and stocks dissapeared

Derick White he's been hit or miss

3 hours ago, claptondecheeks said:

His average fantasy points per game has been virtually identical to Ayton’s. Both of them are ranked so highly bc so many people have missed games. 

Well I don't play points leagues but for roto he's been extremely solid. He's not ranked high because others have missed games. He's ranked high because of his versatility of providing high percentages while hitting 1.3 threes, low turnovers, and still providing at least a block a game. He literally only hurts you in steals and assists. He's great for roto. I definitely do not for one second regret drafting him early 3rd round and totally look forward to drafting him next year for what looks like to be even cheaper.

1 hour ago, jay_00 said:

Well I don't play points leagues but for roto he's been extremely solid. He's not ranked high because others have missed games. He's ranked high because of his versatility of providing high percentages while hitting 1.3 threes, low turnovers, and still providing at least a block a game. He literally only hurts you in steals and assists. He's great for roto. I definitely do not for one second regret drafting him early 3rd round and totally look forward to drafting him next year for what looks like to be even cheaper.

Well, in my league, he is just outside top 60 and scoring scoring 20% less average fantasy points per game than he did last year and is 51st ranked by total points.

to illustrate my point, RJ Barrett is 85th in average fantasy points per game but 50th in total points.  So even though Collins has been a lot better than Barrett, Barrett is still ranked higher than Collins bc he has more total points bc he has played more games. 

in short, total points is a trash metric in my league, only average fantasy points per game matters. 

19 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Well, in my league, he is just outside top 60 and scoring scoring 20% less average fantasy points per game than he did last year and is 51st ranked by total points.

to illustrate my point, RJ Barrett is 85th in average fantasy points per game but 50th in total points.  So even though Collins has been a lot better than Barrett, Barrett is still ranked higher than Collins bc he has more total points bc he has played more games. 

in short, total points is a trash metric in my league, only average fantasy points per game matters. 

Yea hes not good in your league because your league has different settings and you're in a points league. In standard h2h/roto leagues Collins is 41 overall. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jay_00 said:

Calling John Collins a bust when he's 41 overall for the season doesn't really make much sense. Yes his ADP was around late 2nd/early 3rd, but people with common sense wouldn't dare draft him higher than 3rd round because of Capela. I was able to take him for 31 bucks in an auction (which is early 3rd round) and I am very satisfied with the production I got from him. He went $1 cheaper than Nurkic in that league so I was pretty happy with that. I expected dips in pts, rebs, and blks, but I expected great percentages and low turnovers and that's what I got.

I owned Nurkic in one league and Collins in other and I also can't understand how they are mentioned together. Nurkic is bust obviously, but Collins has been only a little bit worse than his ADP. I drafted him as 28th pick - could have done better, but don't complain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Tatum in a low-key way, was supposed to be borderline first rounder. Luka was supposed to be a possible first overall. Booker was supposed to be better than last year (though anyone who knows should know CP3 takes assists from off guards).

Tatum is ranked #9 in season total value, #16 on season averages. I don't think that's a bust, he's basically ranked where he was expected to be at. The total numbers would look better if he didn't get Covid earlier in the season. I never believed Luka would provide 1st overall value in 9 cat. (mostly due to  his FT% on 7+ attempts, high TOs, low stocks). Yeah CP3 has taken away from Bubble Booker, also Booker's low stocks push him down rankings. 

This thread aggravates me only because I drafted Nurk in 6/10 leagues (always in the 3rd rd).  You can guess how my season’s going.. 

AD: drafted top-3 and has given very little relative to where he got picked.  Idc if he’s been injured, even when healthy he was a massive disappointment given you build your team around him and expect huge contributions — so a lot of managers strategy crumbled apart when the backbone of their team went M.I.A.  That’s a killer. 

I am surprised there aren’t more mentions of Trae.  Drafted in the 1st, sitting at like #60 overall in 9-cat.  Even in a punt FG%/TO build he barely cracks top-20 in per game value.  Yuck.  Glad I traded him earlier in the season. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, 80version said:

This thread aggravates me only because I drafted Nurk in 6/10 leagues (always in the 3rd rd).  You can guess how my season’s going.. 

AD: drafted top-3 and has given very little relative to where he got picked.  Idc if he’s been injured, even when healthy he was a massive disappointment given you build your team around him and expect huge contributions — so a lot of managers strategy crumbled apart when the backbone of their team went M.I.A.  That’s a killer. 

I am surprised there aren’t more mentions of Trae.  Drafted in the 1st, sitting at like #60 overall in 9-cat.  Even in a punt FG%/TO build he barely cracks top-20 in per game value.  Yuck.  Glad I traded him earlier in the season. 

I had Trae last season and he was a beast, especially on the second half. Had him on my radar and picking at #8, went with Damien Lillard instead because I didn't have a warm feeling on Trae with Capela joining the Hawks. As a remember, Trae was amazing the first few weeks of the season but I agree, he's disappointed ever since based on expectations.

Another bust for me was Davis Bertans. After last season's efficiency shooting, points, 3ts and some rebounds, I did a Tiger Woods fist pumped drafting him on the last round. Between injuries and inconsistency, he's been crap lol.

Whoever picked AD in the top-5 ain't winning this year. He's the biggest bust purely because of where he was drafted. I would not have drafted him but feel bad for those who thought they got a bargain or w/e.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

? ad 17th overall per game. and i would bet that his 71% ft% would of positively regressed back to his mean ft%. hes been low 80's for years. (punt ft% and ad jumps up to 3 overall.)

ad only played 23 games so i have to think most, if not all his numbers would of increased a tad along with that ft%

Perhaps, but I’m also guessing you didn’t watch him much when he was playing earlier in the season? He was very passive and most positions resulted in him just standing on the perimeter waiting for a catch-and-shoot from Lebron. I’m also far from certain his FT% rebounds. We’ve seen too many instances of a serious and consistent drop-off (especially amongst bigs) for that to be assured. Giannis, Nurk and Westbrook all had drop-offs that never rebounded.

4 hours ago, QingJames said:

Perhaps, but I’m also guessing you didn’t watch him much when he was playing earlier in the season? He was very passive and most positions resulted in him just standing on the perimeter waiting for a catch-and-shoot from Lebron. I’m also far from certain his FT% rebounds. We’ve seen too many instances of a serious and consistent drop-off (especially amongst bigs) for that to be assured. Giannis, Nurk and Westbrook all had drop-offs that never rebounded.

we will never know. or atleast have to wait until next year but i think  AD is a much better shooter than giannis and you cant really compare the 2. ad has avged over 33% from 3 since he started to really shoot the three ball and is 80% from the ft line his entire career. 5 straight 80% years. giannis has never sniffed 80% for a season.

sample size over 23 games when ad wasnt playing his best all around ball vs 5 years of being a great ft shooter and top 5 fantasy player? championship hangover or just coasting in regular season.

as for nurk have to say his 2019 was for an outlier not the norm as he never shot above 67% for a season prior to last year. hes also at almost half less fta this year and has been inj and only played 20 games.

im sure AD will go top 5 again

probably top 3 next year

Edited by colepenhagen

Some players get drafted above their ADP because (a) name recognition, (b) they have a solid resume to back it up, (b) prior bad season are forgiven because people hope he will return to stardom, (d) some managers don't properly measure the impact of their deficiencies, (e) on wrap around draft positions, you have to reach a round or two, or (f) if there is a run on a certain position

For me - 

JJJ - I mean cmon to maybe at best get 2-5 games from him for the whole season is an absolute joke

whiteside - always a risk but to drop that far was never expected. Truly underlines how far apart fantasy value and real life value can be

Rubio - always expected a decline and has somewhat resurrected his value at times second half of year, but with DAR missing so much time he never really stepped up when he had the chance. Victim of circumstance though you’re not gonna be always be awesome in assists with kat/dar missing so much and requiring all these youngsters to consistently hit shots 

10 hours ago, RedMamba said:

Westbrick was close to that list but redeemed himself in the second half

Yeah dude was single handedly destroying me when the seasokn started. But after he healed up and started playing b2bs he's been a monster 

30 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Yeah dude was single handedly destroying me when the seasokn started. But after he healed up and started playing b2bs he's been a monster 

Amen.

Over the last month he's averaging 14 boards and 12 assists a game, which is just insane.

(Albeit you better be punting TOs or you're gonna have a bad time)

38 minutes ago, alexstr said:

Amen.

Over the last month he's averaging 14 boards and 12 assists a game, which is just insane.

I don't think I've ever not punted TOs for as long as I've played fantasy lol. All the best high usage, high volume players get a lot of TOs anyway. 

38 minutes ago, alexstr said:

Amen.

Every time Westbrook plays I expect a triple double. It’s almost like a norm for him. Simply Amazing

19 hours ago, apatas said:

I owned Nurkic in one league and Collins in other and I also can't understand how they are mentioned together. Nurkic is bust obviously, but Collins has been only a little bit worse than his ADP. I drafted him as 28th pick - could have done better, but don't complain.

I saw John Collins name being floated around as a 'bust' and think that's crazy. He's been AMAZING for me in ROTO.. I don't think people realize how hard it is to find big men who give great FG% with great FT% and then also contribute 3s, points, rebounds, blocks... If Capela wasn't around he'd easily be a top 10 player but I'll gladly take top 30-40 in that crowded Atlanta rotation. 

Excluding all the injured players, Morant is probably the biggest bust in my eyes. Average points, average assists, weak steals, weak FG%, no 3s, bad FT%... Hopefully he's still got a lot of development ahead of him because this year has tempered my expectations a bit.