NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching Acuna

Not fantasy related, but did y'all see the guy who got Justin Turner's HR in his plate of nachos last night?  Turner hooked the guy up with another order of nachos and the Dodgers gave him a new hoodi

Remember when people thought Vlad wouldn't be good? 🔥🔥        

I’ve followed the game for over 30 years and I can’t recall it being like this.  Can someone please explain me the rule as to why Knebel got the win yesterday and not the pitcher that came in after May?  

29 minutes ago, FUM said:

I’ve followed the game for over 30 years and I can’t recall it being like this.  Can someone please explain me the rule as to why Knebel got the win yesterday and not the pitcher that came in after May?  

"A pitcher receives a win when he is the pitcher of record when his team takes the lead for good -- with a couple rare exceptions. First, a starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

There is also a rarely used clause where an official scorer can deem a relief pitcher's appearance "brief and ineffective." (For example, if a reliever relinquished a one-run lead by allowing three runs, but was still in line for a win after his team scored four runs in the following inning -- that may qualify.) If that's the case, the scorer can award the win to a pitcher who followed that "brief and ineffective" pitcher. Which relief pitcher earns the win specifically is also up to the judgment of the official scorer."

I first remember hearing about the "subjective" pitching results back when Mariano use to pitch and have always thought it was something that needed to be changed to something much more concrete and objective.  So I agree with you that it's stupid, but I do remember seeing things like this before, unfortunately.

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Like 1

Go all hitters. May all pitchers get demolished. I'm taking you all down with me. I want every pitcher looking like this:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

"A pitcher receives a win when he is the pitcher of record when his team takes the lead for good -- with a couple rare exceptions. First, a starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

There is also a rarely used clause where an official scorer can deem a relief pitcher's appearance "brief and ineffective." (For example, if a reliever relinquished a one-run lead by allowing three runs, but was still in line for a win after his team scored four runs in the following inning -- that may qualify.) If that's the case, the scorer can award the win to a pitcher who followed that "brief and ineffective" pitcher. Which relief pitcher earns the win specifically is also up to the judgment of the official scorer."

I first remember hearing about the "subjective" pitching results back when Mariano use to pitch and have always thought it was something that needed to be changed to something much more concrete and objective.  So I agree with you that it's stupid, but I do remember seeing things like this before, unfortunately.

In this case, it’s strange that the scorer would award Knebel with the win since the RP that immediately followed May was not “brief” nor “ineffective”.  Knebel did not objectively pitch any better than either Gonzales or Treinen.

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well it is suppose to be pretty rainey today there so the rain may beat the Mets before they beat themselves.

Rain Rain Go away.  So the Mets can play today.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

Agreed that's the rule but it's pretty dumb. The starter should be eligible regardless and the scorer should have the discretion to choose him if he was really the best pitcher. He or the relievers should all be eligible regardless, with 5 IP meaning it's a guarantee. He shouldn't be INELIGIBLE with 4.1 IP. 

Anyone know what the deal is with Rich Hill and the Rays?  His first start was a planned split start, second start seemed more traditional, and today is...?  He could be an interesting (selective) streaming option this year but not if he's splitting starts sporadically.