Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Never liked that the worst pitcher of the day will get the win cause they never break the set formula for who gets the win. . SP pitches 8 2/3rds of shutout baseball leaves the game leading 1-0 in the top of the 9th . RP comes in, walks a guy, then gives up a 2 run Homer, then gets a pop up for the last out of the 9th score is now 2-1 .  Hitters come up in the bottom of the 9th and score 2 to win the game. The win still goes to the RP who blew the game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching Acuna

Not fantasy related, but did y'all see the guy who got Justin Turner's HR in his plate of nachos last night?  Turner hooked the guy up with another order of nachos and the Dodgers gave him a new hoodi

Remember when people thought Vlad wouldn't be good? 🔥🔥        

3 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Anyone know what the deal is with Rich Hill and the Rays?  His first start was a planned split start, second start seemed more traditional, and today is...?  He could be an interesting (selective) streaming option this year but not if he's splitting starts sporadically.  

Didn't archer getting injured put an end to that? I could of sworn they would be double teaming starts with those split days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Agreed that's the rule but it's pretty dumb. The starter should be eligible regardless and the scorer should have the discretion to choose him if he was really the best pitcher. He or the relievers should all be eligible regardless, with 5 IP meaning it's a guarantee. He shouldn't be INELIGIBLE with 4.1 IP. 

The starter needing to go 5 has been around since the beginning.  No reason to change that imo.  Just because many teams have gone analytic insane with their bullpen use and their "quest for the ineffective reliever" each night is no reason to go changing the scoring rules like that imo.  We have seen way too much rule changing to the detriment of the game the past couple of years with the most egregious being the ridiculous man on 2nd to start extra innings nonsense.  Baseball endures among other reasons because of its consistency and purity imo.    A win earned in 1920 is the same as a win in 2020.  While some changes are inevitable, dramatic changes should never be allowed.

My 2 cents.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

The starter needing to go 5 has been around since the beginning.  No reason to change that imo.  Just because many teams have gone analytic insane with their bullpen use and their "quest for the ineffective reliever" each night is no reason to go changing the scoring rules like that imo.  We have seen way too much rule changing to the detriment of the game the past couple of years with the most egregious being the ridiculous man on 2nd to start extra innings nonsense.  Baseball endures among other reasons because of its consistency and purity imo.    A win earned in 1920 is the same as a win in 2020.  While some changes are inevitable, dramatic changes should never be allowed.

My 2 cents.

I understand and am somewhat of a purist myself with these rule changes but why does the guy who leaves in the 5th with the lead getting a win dilute the game more than a reliever being chosen at random to get it when they should get a hold?

This isn't a result of the new age of baseball making me think that; it just doesn't make any sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mks said:

Never liked that the worst pitcher of the day will get the win cause they never break the set formula for who gets the win. . SP pitches 8 2/3rds of shutout baseball leaves the game leading 1-0 in the top of the 9th . RP comes in, walks a guy, then gives up a 2 run Homer, then gets a pop up for the last out of the 9th score is now 2-1 .  Hitters come up in the bottom of the 9th and score 2 to win the game. The win still goes to the RP who blew the game.

Yes, but the thinking is you pitch to win a game and if the opposition does a better job of it, then you do not deserve the W.  In the case of relievers, the W is sort of meaningless and always has been.  Reliever wins are basically a statistical anomaly and no one really pays much attention to them historically.

W's have been largely a measure of a starter.  I know the analytics people hate the W stat, but that is because they have their noses buried in their computer and have lost sight of the fact that a starter's job has traditionally been to win a game for his team.  Not to pitch 4 Ips and turn it over to 4 relievers.  If you are not good enough to pitch half a game with your team leading when you leave, you do not deserve a win because if the game ended at that point, your team loses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Didn't archer getting injured put an end to that? I could of sworn they would be double teaming starts with those split days.

That was my impression but couldn't find anything saying that explicitly. Double teaming a game with Archer it's not as if you could even use him as a cheap source of wins if Archer is used as the "opener" so would pretty much render him useless. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not fantasy related, but did y'all see the guy who got Justin Turner's HR in his plate of nachos last night?  Turner hooked the guy up with another order of nachos and the Dodgers gave him a new hoodie.  Love it when players and teams do cool S like that.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cyberer said:

I understand and am somewhat of a purist myself with these rule changes but why does the guy who leaves in the 5th with the lead getting a win dilute the game more than a reliever being chosen at random to get it when they should get a hold?

This isn't a result of the new age of baseball making me think that; it just doesn't make any sense.

Because as I noted in another post, the starter's job is to win the game for his team and if he can't go at least half the game and leave with his team leading, he does not deserve a win.  The starter's job has been to win the game for his team by getting them most of the way there with a lead.  Not to become basically a long reliever that just happens to come out in first inning. 

As to the reliever being given a W, it has largely been considered irrelevant in baseball forever.  No one quotes how man Ws Marianno Rivera or Hoffman picked up...no one cares.  No reliever is paid or awarded anything based on his vulture Ws.  They have to give the W to someone to keep the stats in order as someone needs to get the W for each game.  In the case of relievers, no one has ever really put much value into that stat.  It has been a measure of a starter not a reliever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Forget runs. Are they even going to play with the rain?

Feels like the PPD is inevitable. 

So it is PPD.
I guess this is called devine intervention.
Next stop Denver. Better place to score runs, and DeGrom is hopefully the same everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Forget runs. Are they even going to play with the rain?

Feels like the PPD is inevitable. 

Citi Field Cost $1.3 BIllion dollars to build.but it renders itself totally useless when it rains. Phillies/ Mets PPD.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

The starter needing to go 5 has been around since the beginning.  No reason to change that imo.  Just because many teams have gone analytic insane with their bullpen use and their "quest for the ineffective reliever" each night is no reason to go changing the scoring rules like that imo.  We have seen way too much rule changing to the detriment of the game the past couple of years with the most egregious being the ridiculous man on 2nd to start extra innings nonsense.  Baseball endures among other reasons because of its consistency and purity imo.    A win earned in 1920 is the same as a win in 2020.  While some changes are inevitable, dramatic changes should never be allowed.

My 2 cents.

Lol the rules of baseball have always been tweaked and changed. They've been doing it since before you were born and will be doing it long after you're dead. Some rules have been pretty minor. Some have been pretty major. I always find it amusing when people reminiscence for something that has never existed.  

spacer.png

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Dropped him about 5 days ago. Can’t handle the OBP drain with 0 counting stats. 

Came here to complain as well haha.... if he didn't have all his multi-eligibility he would be gone but YIKES it's brutal 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...