NBC Sports EDGE Forums

4/15 - GAME DAY THREAD

I loved watching Steve Stone on Cubs broadcasts growing up, he's a consummate pro and as my Dad would always remind me "former Cy Young winner", but he needed a more colorful announcer like Harry Caray to work with as a straight man.

As for today's game, I'm interested in the bullpen usage we saw in the 9th inning in the MIA/ATL game. Both Will Smith and Yimi Garcia had been used fairly heavily in recent days, yet neither having pitched the night before, you would expect a closer to come out with a 1-run lead in the 9th. Instead the Braves went to Minter, who gave up the lead, and then we saw the Marlins bring out Dylan Floro for another failed save attempt. This is more evidence the traditional usage of closers is gone, and at least one out of every 5 saves is going to be given to set-up men on most teams except the obvious Aroldis Chapman types. The Marlins should have shown confidence in Garcia and run him out there, give him the day off tomorrow. For the Braves, Minter, despite the vulture win, probably moves down in the hierarchy behind Newcomb too. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I loved watching Steve Stone on Cubs broadcasts growing up, he's a consummate pro and as my Dad would always remind me "former Cy Young winner", but he needed a more colorful announcer like Harry Caray to work with as a straight man.

As for today's game, I'm interested in the bullpen usage we saw in the 9th inning in the MIA/ATL game. Both Will Smith and Yimi Garcia had been used fairly heavily in recent days, yet neither having pitched the night before, you would expect a closer to come out with a 1-run lead in the 9th. Instead the Braves went to Minter, who gave up the lead, and then we saw the Marlins bring out Dylan Floro for another failed save attempt. This is more evidence the traditional usage of closers is gone, and at least one out of every 5 saves is going to be given to set-up men on most teams except the obvious Aroldis Chapman types. The Marlins should have shown confidence in Garcia and run him out there, give him the day off tomorrow. For the Braves, Minter, despite the vulture win, probably moves down in the hierarchy behind Newcomb too. 

Garcia did pitch yesterday 

Will Smith had pitched in 4/5 last 5 days. Maybe they shouldn't have gone with Minter, but their closer needed a break badly. It's a long season and he can't pitch every game. Somebody else needs to be able to carry the load once in awhile. 

2 minutes ago, FearTheHawk said:

I've traded for both karinchak and clase this week and I picked up Graveman. Happy about all these things. If only Merryweather didn't get hurt

Do you get a good return for Karinchak? 

3 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Do you get a good return for Karinchak? 

I traded for Karinchak. 6X6 12 team keeper league traded mookie and soler for Bichette, Nola, and Karinchak. And then I traded Morton and Wendle for Tim Anderson and Clase

Edited by FearTheHawk
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Will Smith had pitched in 4/5 last 5 days. Maybe they shouldn't have gone with Minter, but their closer needed a break badly. It's a long season and he can't pitch every game. Somebody else needs to be able to carry the load once in awhile. 

I totally agree but Minter is such a lose cannon. 

1 hour ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Do you guys like Steve Stone? 

To be honest he's ok. A little dry sometimes. Was kind of awkward when it was him and Hawk in the booth. I am a cubs fan and prefer jim deshaies cause he keeps it a little more lively and has funny anecdotes.

• Like 1