NBC Sports Edge Forums

5 minutes ago, MonsterMan said:

LAA SP earned his first win of the season in an Angels blowout win over the Royals on Monday.

Cobb has struck out 17 batters over 11.2 innings pitched on the season, can he be trusted?

As soon as we all plug him in, he’ll get shelled. Looks good though, if you’re chasing K’s and QS’s I’d take a shot. 

If you're starved for pitching, are in need of some depth, or have a good starting 5 and can sit a guy in reserve as insurance then Cobb may not be a bad pick up.  He's out of Baltimore and he looks healthy.    He had a couple of quality seasons in Tampa and maybe he's back at that level.  I won't count on it, but as a depth piece or dart throw he's interesting.

Surface stats crap. Underlying stats strong. Could be a two-start anomaly, but if you got a lousy guy you can punt (ahem, Keuchel), why not take a shot.

I read that he did change his pitch mix a bit. Maybe it just means it takes the league a bit of time to adjust to his change, but it could also be a permanent improvement.

2 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Surface stats crap. Underlying stats strong. 

A 2.17 SIERA and a 1.73 xfIP as compared to a 4.63 ERA!!!

Yeah, smurf is right on the money.

Edited by Overlord

Jason Collete of RW wrote him up today - his changeup is back to pre-TJ levels and he's also throwing the splitter again to great effect. Definitely some stuff under the hood that makes sense if you play in deeper leagues. 

SSS but I ran z-scores with swinging k%, k-bb%, and SIERA and then averaged them for all starters with 10 IP so far. Cobb rated in the top 20 (if any one is interested I can get the actual results and post them). 

I added him in my 12 teamer shortly after 

1 hour ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

His start today was PPD, wouldn’t he just pitch tomorrow or is he being skipped?

11 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

Yahoo has him at home against Texas on Tuesday, the 20th, fwiw.

He may pitch tomorrow or the 20th. Under 'Players' in my league, it currently shows Thursday, 22nd.

Screenshot_20210418-224205_Fantasy.jpg

• Thanks 1

Looks like he doesn’t have a scheduled start yet:

Any word on how the delay will affect the rotation? Are they going to skip (José) Quintana and/or allow (Dylan) Bundy to start on normal rest? — @ajn2748

A: For starters, Shohei Ohtani is set to rejoin the rotation on Tuesday, in the middle game of a three-game series against the Texas Rangers at Angel Stadium. Ohtani has not pitched since April 4 because of a blister, but he threw three bullpen sessions in the past week, and apparently came through that well enough the Angels have penciled him in to return to the rotation. 

Because of the time he missed, he won’t be fully stretched out like he was, but the off days this weekend will give the Angels plenty of fresh bullpen (and starter) options to work behind him. 

On Monday, Bundy will get the start, which will be on a typical five days rest. Quintana, who was scheduled to start on Saturday, will now start the series finale on Wednesday. 

Alex Cobb, who was scheduled to start on Sunday, has not been penciled in for his next start. He and Quintana were both scheduled to face hitters in a workout Sunday afternoon, so both are healthy. Cobb could conceivably pitch after Ohtani on Tuesday.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, tucker26 said:

This guy going on the Charlie Morton career path or fools gold? 

i'm buying. saw him in person against the royals and he was looking filthy. if he can stay healthy, top 30-40?

• Like 1

Are we confident about today's @HOU game?
HOU offense (presumably without cheating) is mediocre. But, Cobb has exhibited big time reverse splits so far, which is not surprising since his best pitch is the changeup. His FB has negative value so far and curveball is so so. He has no slider.

Really on the fence.

Cobb's a ground ball pitcher and Rendon is injured and the Angel's back up third basemen are lacking in skill to put it mildly. Couple that with the corpse of Pujols playing first base and you don't have a recipe for success. Cobb will be nothing more than a streamer this season in my opinion and I would stay away until Rendon comes back

• 1 month later...

For those with Cobb, what's your confidence level tonight against SEA ?

SEA as a team is one of the worst in the AL for runs scored. Cobb is has been decent this season and particularly good lately. However looking at Cobbs career numbers against SEA, they are pretty bad, might be the worst numbers he has against any team.