NBC Sports Edge Forums

Adolis Garcia 2021 Outlook

Have a feeling this guy is going to be a great pick up. He hit .375/.389/.781 with 4 2Bs, 3 HRs, and 4 SBs in 32 ABs during spring training. He is a physical specimen with power and speed. He's started the last 3 games after transferring to the 40-man and being called up from the alternate site. He's hit in all 3 games going oppo for a triple last night that looked to be a HR but was reversed after video review. It was almost an inside the park HR as well after review called him out at home. Redeemed himself with an opposite field HR tonight while batting cleanup. Go get him...

• Like 5
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welp    edit: I deserve the 5 notifications I get daily from this thread 😞 

Also read where he is already preparing for the adjustments he knows he will need to make. He has been feasting on fastballs so far. He is going to begin seeing a steady diet of offspeed pitches and i

Posted Images

Guy's minor league K rate is 25%. That will most likely get higher in the majors.

His best years were in PCL which is notorious hitter friendly league.

Could he have figured it out?....sure but, there's a reason why, at 28 yo, he has 32 PA in the bigs and wasn't brought up to begin the year after a good spring on a bad team.

4 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Guy's minor league K rate is 25%. That will most likely get higher in the majors.

Could he have figured it out?....sure but, there's a reason why, at 28 yo, he has 32 PA in the bigs and wasn't brought up to begin the year after a good spring on a bad team.

Yeah, there's reasons to be pessimistic for sure but we have no idea what he was doing last year. Maybe he's on PEDs or something but he was really impressive in spring and had a huge home run yesterday. We had no 2020 season for him in the minors either. There was an athletic article about him yesterday (before his home run) where the Rangers manager was saying he was their best player on the field every time he played (in spring). Also talked about he reworked his swing to be shorter and compact.

Rangers are certainly a bad enough team where if he hits he stays.

Even though it was vs a lefty it's saying something that he was batting cleanup last night. He's pretty interesting and has the steal potential bonus too.

Could be this year's Randy Arrozearena per @JFS179 (who told me about him to begin with)

Edited by brockpapersizer
6 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Actually there seems to be a lot of late bloomers in baseball these days and 28 seems to be one of the years they seem to bloom in.

Players aren't robots.  They change stances, lift angles, mentally and emotionally become more mature (hopefully) etc etc.  Never write off a late bloomer but give them a chance.  So many people here wrote off Yaz when he came up 2 years ago as a fluke as I recall.

Yes some fail too but hey if you don't grab them when you can and they do pan out you will never get a chance at them again.  Hold an "audition" or two with players like this and see what you get.

Also just because a player played in the PCL doesn't necessarily make his power stats incorrect.  This guy is big and strong and could probably hit homers out of any park you can name with ease.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I am looking forward to watching his at bats. Thanks for the tout guys. [...] Let's hope he can put together a solid season. 

Edited by tonycpsu
1 hour ago, hgh22 said:

Honest question - why do we care if he is juicing? For 95% of us he's a free guy off the wire. 

Shoot up both arms and both legs for all I care - just hit dingers.

I wish they allowed players to take them. They are grown men with access to the most qualified physicians/ drugs possible. 

Sports are better when the stars are playing.....unlike this BS we have to deal with today.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hgh22 said:

Honest question - why do we care if he is juicing? For 95% of us he's a free guy off the wire. 

Shoot up both arms and both legs for all I care - just hit dingers.

Username checks out.

• Haha 8

He started his pro career 24 and he has been a physically gifted/toolshed from the start. PEDs is a really lame explanation for a breakout as the reason the Cardinals gave up on him was because he had terrible feel to hit.

I'm not dis-missing he is not. Only saying that any breakout will be thanks to a dramatic improvement in his feel to hit. Which takes more then just performance enhancers.

The upside comparison here would be more like Carlos Gomez (with less SB prowess).

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

This thread is gonna be 6 pages and he'll go 0-4 tonight and none of us will ever think of him again. 

In some of these deep leagues that we're in, you're looking for any toolsy guy who could potentially come up and make even a slight impact. It's worth having the discussion and helping each other make an assessment. 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

This thread is gonna be 6 pages and he'll go 0-4 tonight and none of us will ever think of him again. 

Guess we’ll find out soon enough. Batting cleanup tonight again vs a righty. Certainly should be owned in deeper 5 of leagues at the minimum now

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Guess we’ll find out soon enough. Batting cleanup tonight again vs a righty. Certainly should be owned in deeper 5 of leagues at the minimum now

Yep, mixed deeper leagues and AL only leagues. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, mannymachado said:

Quickly goes 0-3 3ks not what I wanted to see as soon as I add him. They did say he strikes out a lot right?

A ton.

2 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Couldn't beat out the likes of Culberson and Eli White...........he's not good.

Or he wasn't on the 40-man roster and management didn't want to make any drastic cuts early in the season. A week and a half later he's added and hitting cleanup. Context matters.

• Like 3

Willie Calhoun activated and batting 7th

Adolis is batting cleanup

Adolis is a pretty good defender FYI, I believe and Calhoun is not, he's a DH.

Also worth noting Nate Lowe, Willie Calhoun, Joey Gallo, AND David Dahl are LH hitters.  Garcia is a right.  He'll be very useful breaking that all up (assuming he hits decently)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, WatchMeWHIP said:

Another HR and a double last night. I have a roster crunch and at this point I'm cutting guys like Mullins before Garcia. This early in a long season I'm all about upside

He also robbed Ohtani of a home run.