Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Adolis Garcia 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Vlad was like 20, Adolis is 28

Doesn't matter, Cuban defect at 25, loss full year of development because of the pandemic, first real taste in big league and made the All Star selection.

Edited by PoundMyBeef
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, PoundMyBeef said:

It took 3 years for Guerrero to become a stud. Adolis is in a slump and now he's trash forever ? He will be back, thou shall believe in the tools letssss goooooooooo

any day now he can start hitting again. 0-4 today its getting old

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, PoundMyBeef said:

Doesn't matter, Cuban defect at 25, loss full year of development because of the pandemic, first real taste in big league and made the All Star selection.

Actually, it does matter. He’s 8 years older than Vlad was. All the stuff you said is just white noise and doesn’t detract from that reality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm here to pop in to say one thing. He's cooled off so much in the last 6 weeks or so. He's been a cut in shallow leagues and I generally bench him in my 16 teamer for better daily options.  Despite his atrocious last 6 weeks, that I would imagine a lot of people didn't start him for, especially recently....he's still a top 50 player on the year. Currently 48 on razzball rankings (which I consider the current best easy to access player rater).  Pretty huge pickup regardless of recently.

 

 

https://razzball.com/playerrater/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've seen players carry themselves on a hot few first months to an MVP level season-remember Cody Bellinger's 2019 season? Insane first few months, a huge drop of in the months of June/July, and then he turned it on again towards the end. Of course Garcia's not having that caliber of a season, and his overall numbers are still propped up by those first few months. Yet, as brock said, his overall results are great, and I will happily grab him where he has been dropped. Its not costing you anything to claim him, and as I said, are you sure you want to drop him for Harrison Bader? Rafael Ortega? I like what those guys are doing now, but there's still some juice left in this orange. I'd be happy to add either for a replaceable pitcher, and bench Garcia.

If the 60-game season didn't teach people that even a great hitter can be terrible for that span of time, and vice versa, I guess nothing will. I'm not sure what the breaking point is for Adolis, but this ain't it, by a long shot. By the end of the year we'll have a better idea which is the real Adolis, and perhaps it will be all downhill, but I'd rather wait it out a little longer. If he shows signs of life in August, September will be an opportunity to face AAA pitching and finish the season strong.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many people trying to cope with the fact that Adolis might just not be that good. The same kind of cope I told myself when Thames got off to a scorching start of the season after he came back from the KBO. 

And lol someone really compared him to Vlad despite the fact that Garcia's MiLB numbers were mediocre. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bunnyzclan said:

So many people trying to cope with the fact that Adolis might just not be that good. The same kind of cope I told myself when Thames got off to a scorching start of the season after he came back from the KBO. 

And lol someone really compared him to Vlad despite the fact that Garcia's MiLB numbers were mediocre. 

And so many people here in threads like these jumping on rookies when they go through the long cat and mouse adjustment game with pitchers over a period of months or even a year or two blows my mind.  This is baseball.  Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.  Baseball is a game where there is time to grow, learn, adjust.  Wake me in 2 years and if Adolis is still in a slump I may agree he didn't adjust.  But until then the jury is out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've said it before and I'll say it again: he's a FA pickup that cost me nothing, hit me 23 HR's, stole 8 bases, delivered 63 RBI and 49 RS is hitting .254 and is playing everyday.

There aren't a whole lot of players plucked off the waiver wire that have delivered those kinds of numbers.

He's been very valuable to me.

If anyone was expecting the 60 HR's he was on pace for in early May or Vlad, Jr. , that's on them.

Edited by Wieties
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wieties said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: he's a FA pickup that cost me nothing, hit me 23 HR's, stole 8 bases, delivered 63 RBI and 49 RS is hitting .254 and is playing everyday.

There aren't a whole lot of players plucked off the waiver wire that have delivered those kinds of numbers.

He's been very valuable to me.

If anyone was expecting the 60 HR's he was on pace for in early May or Vlad, Jr. , that's on them.

 I don't think anyone is questioning the value he brought through June-ish, but rather the value he's had over the last month and will bring over the next two months. He was valuable to you and all of his owners for a while, but he's had zero value for a while. In the last 30 days, he's Yahoo's 616th ranked player with a .198-9-3-5-0 line. 

I'm hanging on in an AL league a deep mixed league and letting him sit on my bench. But I think your post is just telling part of the story and certainly not addressing the issue that many are bringing up. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He is basically Dansby Swanson with a more swing and miss, but more raw power. He is an OF#3, where people were hoping he would be a #2 or #1 type.

He may squeeze out another 8-10HR, 3-5SB and 25-30 RBI the ROS, and not sure the waiver wire going to give you better than that in most leagues.

 

Edited by Hellgrammite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, mks said:

please start hitting homers and stealing bases again GOAT

Now I'm starting to go back and view this thread from the "7 Stages of Grief" lens and thinking it is very possible we're all just at different places on this spectrum. This puts you in the Anger and Bargaining phase (story checks out) and myself firmly in the The Upward Turn phase of things. Next step is Reconstruction and Working Through and then Acceptance and Hope. I'm joking, of course, but it highlights how this particular player is a little more of an emotional roller coaster than others. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved him when he was producing obviously, but he's been terrible. Rotting on my bench... I think the issue is clear... He's off cycle, we need to get him back on cycle. I'll hold until then. I used to play softball with a guy that juiced he was a beast on cycle, then we would make fun of him and call him power outage when he was off cycle... When he went back on he mashed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I loved him when he was producing obviously, but he's been terrible. Rotting on my bench... I think the issue is clear... He's off cycle, we need to get him back on cycle. I'll hold until then. I used to play softball with a guy that juiced he was a beast on cycle, then we would make fun of him and call him power outage when he was off cycle... When he went back on he mashed.

ANDROLIS GARCIA TIME

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I loved him when he was producing obviously, but he's been terrible. Rotting on my bench... I think the issue is clear... He's off cycle, we need to get him back on cycle. I'll hold until then. I used to play softball with a guy that juiced he was a beast on cycle, then we would make fun of him and call him power outage when he was off cycle... When he went back on he mashed.

I really dislike these types of posts. To suggest a guy is / is not using PED’s simply because he is/is not performing well at the moment is both not helpful while also being extremely disparaging to the player in question.

Garcia, like many others, is a player who has slogged through years of baseball - amateur, youth and minor leagues. Eating crap food, staying at crap hotels and generally not making much money doing so. He is playing a game that is incredibly hard and where failure is far, far more common than success.


He has an incredible two month run, and because the league adjusts and he struggles you automatically assume he is or has been doping like your friend the beer league softball player. That he is taking a risk on PED’s when a suspension would most likely be career ending come on man…
 

I am not saying cheating doesn’t happen or that doping doesn’t happen. I just don’t think it’s fair to any player to assume success is because of substance use or failure is the absence of it. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

I really dislike these types of posts. To suggest a guy is / is not using PED’s simply because he is/is not performing well at the moment is both not helpful while also being extremely disparaging to the player in question.

Garcia, like many others, is a player who has slogged through years of baseball - amateur, youth and minor leagues. Eating crap food, staying at crap hotels and generally not making much money doing so. He is playing a game that is incredibly hard and where failure is far, far more common than success.


He has an incredible two month run, and because the league adjusts and he struggles you automatically assume he is or has been doping like your friend the beer league softball player. That he is taking a risk on PED’s when a suspension would most likely be career ending come on man…
 

I am not saying cheating doesn’t happen or that doping doesn’t happen. I just don’t think it’s fair to any player to assume success is because of substance use or failure is the absence of it. 

 

I mean there were a lot of posts early in about his body and *eh hem* weight gains of lean muscle. In fact, the reason I scooped him early in the year was because of those signs of juicing... Risk of suspension means nothing because without them he doesn't have a career anyway.

My post was light and half hearted... But in reality, he might just be off cycle, we saw this throughout the steroid era.

Edited by StevieStats
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mudrummer said:

I really dislike these types of posts. To suggest a guy is / is not using PED’s simply because he is/is not performing well at the moment is both not helpful while also being extremely disparaging to the player in question.

Garcia, like many others, is a player who has slogged through years of baseball - amateur, youth and minor leagues. Eating crap food, staying at crap hotels and generally not making much money doing so. He is playing a game that is incredibly hard and where failure is far, far more common than success.


He has an incredible two month run, and because the league adjusts and he struggles you automatically assume he is or has been doping like your friend the beer league softball player. That he is taking a risk on PED’s when a suspension would most likely be career ending come on man…
 

I am not saying cheating doesn’t happen or that doping doesn’t happen. I just don’t think it’s fair to any player to assume success is because of substance use or failure is the absence of it. 

 

Do you feel the same way about speculating on which pitchers had been using the sticky stuff?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mudrummer said:

I really dislike these types of posts. To suggest a guy is / is not using PED’s simply because he is/is not performing well at the moment is both not helpful while also being extremely disparaging to the player in question.

I totally agree.  To go on  a public website and "assume" someone is cheating and post same for the whole world to see and play telephone game / gossip about is just totally completely wrong.  It is the total crap of what the internet does in a nutshell.  That is a VERY serious accusation to make about anyone.  Prove it or don't post it.

BTW it was Laureano that MLB caught and is for real.  That has been officially confirmed.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...