NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Buy/Sell Low/High Thread

Message added by tonycpsu,

This thread is for touting players that you feel deserve attention as targets for buying / selling in fantasy leagues.  That does not include discussion of specific trade offers you're making, considering making, or have completed.  If you want to talk about specific deals you've made, you can do so here .  Please take any detailed discussions of the players involved to their player threads.

I kno he was mentioned a couple times in here, but is Charlie Blackmon still a buy low?

Is there any chance he gets to 20-25 HRs and maybe 10 SBs? Or is he just fizzling out and we needa stay away??

I'm wondering if part of his struggles have been weird weather conditions for Colo, and the whole Coors field home advantage thing hasnt really come into play yet.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last chance to buy low on Luis Castillo before you can pick him up off waivers.

Laughed at.

It's time for the annual buy high, sell low and buy low, sell high thread! A couple things - buying low/selling high doesn't mean offering garbage or some hot start, possible flash in the pan guy

49 minutes ago, gregp said:

I kno he was mentioned a couple times in here, but is Charlie Blackmon still a buy low?

Is there any chance he gets to 20-25 HRs and maybe 10 SBs? Or is he just fizzling out and we needa stay away??

I'm wondering if part of his struggles have been weird weather conditions for Colo, and the whole Coors field home advantage thing hasnt really come into play yet.

[...] Only time will tell, but I don't think a bad month is enough to write him off after 6 years of consistency. Here's a comment from the Blackmon outlook thread one week ago, some of these stats have gotten worse in the last week but he's still a bounceback candidate

by ty5592: 

Xba/xslg/xwoba of .278/.436/.353 vs .184/.327/.278 actual. Lowest K rate and highest BB rate of his career. BABIP ~120 points below career norms. Hard hit rate good, LD% up GB% down, HR/FB 8-10 points below career norms. Buy low and/or hold with confidence. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Thanks 1
On 4/19/2021 at 6:47 PM, fatbob166 said:

The IL tag and the slow start is why the price could be right. If it was a serious injury, I could see steering clear. I personally think he will be back in the minimum amount of time, and he will be just fine going forward.

It's a back injury, isn't it? Those scare me more than just about any other injury because they do not go away. 

53 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

What do you guys think of Marcell Ozuna as a buy low? Or is he a stay-away? 

This is a hard one to gage, not an owner or looking to buy him. I have owned him in the past. He is kind of odd in that he flip flops most years in terms of being good or bad. The braves as a whole, sans acuna, have started off really slow.

Edited by Picard56
On 4/28/2021 at 3:15 PM, Picard56 said:

This is a hard one to gage, not an owner or looking to buy him. I have owned him in the past. He is kind of odd in that he flip flops most years in terms of being good or bad. The braves as a whole, sans acuna, have started off really slow.

This isn't really true at all. While's he's had some higher highs he's been a consistently good fantasy producer since 2016. To call a player who's floor is probably 25 HRs and 90 RBIs as "bad" seems like a bit of a reach. Ozuna will be fine and you should definitely be looking to buy low (if you can). 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I'm thinking Jesus Aguilar is a sell high and Charlie Morton a buy low.  

Thoughts?

Edited by LJJr
On 5/2/2021 at 8:48 AM, jmcampbe11 said:

This isn't really true at all. While's he's had some higher highs he's been a consistently good fantasy producer since 2016. To call a player who's floor is probably 25 HRs and 90 RBIs as "bad" seems like a bit of a reach. Ozuna will be fine and you should definitely be looking to buy low (if you can). 

Yeah I think it depends on what your expectations are that he bounces back to.

I don't think he'll be as good a hitter as he was last year.  The .241/.328/.472 guy he was that last year with the Cardinals seems like a safe bet.

1 minute ago, nlm said:

Kyle Hendricks...buy low? Hold? Sell for peanuts? Dumpster fire? All of the above. 

Go!

He's pitched over 1000 innings as a 3.21 ERA / 1.12 WHIP guy and is only 31.

Unless he's hiding an injury I can't see any reason why he doesn't get better.

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

He's pitched over 1000 innings as a 3.21 ERA / 1.12 WHIP guy and is only 31.

Unless he's hiding an injury I can't see any reason why he doesn't get better.

That's what I'm thinking and keep saying, as well. Pitchers like Hendricks are also more prone to getting blown up when they aren't pinpointing their stuff. It would seem that was the case in his last two starts against the Braves.... Maybe ATL just sees him really well? I am nervous. I'm a Cubs fan and have watched Hendricks for years, and he seems broken. He has given up 10 HR (most in MLB) which is equal to his overall total from last year. That may be the most worrisome stat to me.

I just fear he is hiding an injury. He seems "broken" (which is a word I try not to use, but it fits when describing fantasy pitchers sometimes) this year...

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Yeah I think it depends on what your expectations are that he bounces back to.

I don't think he'll be as good a hitter as he was last year.  The .241/.328/.472 guy he was that last year with the Cardinals seems like a safe bet.

Respectfully disagree. That Stl year you mentioned was his lowest batting average of his mlb career. Please tell me people are not worried about buying low on Ozuna. Hitting 3 or 4 in that lineup with a track record of power and production. Zero worry. 

3 minutes ago, Daytraders2019 said:

Respectfully disagree. That Stl year you mentioned was his lowest batting average of his mlb career. Please tell me people are not worried about buying low on Ozuna. Hitting 3 or 4 in that lineup with a track record of power and production. Zero worry. 

I wouldn't say "worried" but if someone's asking price is commensurate with last year's Marcell Ozuna they and I will not be trading.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, LJJr said:

I'm thinking Jesus Aguilar is a sell high and Charlie Morton a buy low.  

Thoughts?

I like Morton as a buy low, for sure. His numbers look like they'd be in line with his norms if his HR luck gets better. 

I can't imagine anyone giving up anything of value for Aguilar.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, nlm said:

Kyle Hendricks...buy low? Hold? Sell for peanuts? Dumpster fire? All of the above. 

Go!

I've considered making a play for him in season long but the HR's from 2019, to 2020, to this year give me pause.  He's a control guy who doesn't break 90 with his fastball and maybe hitters are beginning to figure him out.  I'd still invest if the cost is cheap enough.

18 hours ago, Daytraders2019 said:

I own Ozuna and I'm not worried.  I'd buy as well.  He has rough stretches and then just rakes.  In season long the only thing that matters is the final numbers when the season ends.

11 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I've considered making a play for him in season long but the HR's from 2019, to 2020, to this year give me pause.  He's a control guy who doesn't break 90 with his fastball and maybe hitters are beginning to figure him out.  I'd still invest if the cost is cheap enough.

I can't put my finger on why, but I'm worried about Hendricks a bit too. For some reason I've never really bought into his success, even though he's proved me wrong several times in the past. It just seems like there's such a small margin for error for soft tossers that when things go bad they go REALLY bad. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

I like Morton as a buy low, for sure. His numbers look like they'd be in line with his norms if his HR luck gets better. 

I can't imagine anyone giving up anything of value for Aguilar.

The problem I have with Morton is that I can see him being a 5 inning guy all season long. Sort of a Blake Snell light and Snell is a very frustrating player to own (at least for me). 

Just now, jmcampbe11 said:

The problem I have with Morton is that I can see him being a 5 inning guy all season long. Sort of a Blake Snell light and Snell is a very frustrating player to own (at least for me). 

Morton is likely one of the very few guys that will have no innings limit at all.   He has announced that he's retiring at the end of the year hasn't he?  The Braves can run this guy ragged.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Morton is likely one of the very few guys that will have no innings limit at all.   He has announced that he's retiring at the end of the year hasn't he?  The Braves can run this guy ragged.

I just don't think he's capable of being more than a 5 inning guy...

4 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

He was a buy low before that change, doubt anyone is selling low though

In my league the owner with Lindor is considering a Kershaw/Mondesi offer..