NBC Sports Edge Forums

Who is this guy and why is he pitching well? 

Fangraphs : Graduation TLDR: Brubaker’s a little older than most of the other rookie graduates from the 2020 class, but Brubaker has a workhorse's build and strike-throwing ability as well as a solid mix of stuff.

Edited by cyberer
  • Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to JT Brubaker 2021 Outlook

The kid apparently has an above avg curve and slider with one coming in at 81 mph and the other 86-87 mph. He was touted as being the pirates best SP before the season even started.(that doesn’t mean too much)

I picked him up in a 12 team H2H Pts. League where we have deeper benches. Guys are always looking for the next great thing since sliced bread and maybe The Brubaker can be it!

I love him purely because his name makes me think of the scene in "Seinfeld" when Steinbrenner (voiced by Larry David) is trying to sing the lyrics of "Heartbreaker" and just makes it up as he goes, singing "You're a heartbreaker, Brubaker, love taker don't you mess around with me." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
On 4/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, Richard Kimble said:

I love him purely because his name makes me think of the scene in "Seinfeld" when Steinbrenner (voiced by Larry David) is trying to sing the lyrics of "Heartbreaker" and just makes it up as he goes, singing "You're a heartbreaker, Brubaker, love taker don't you mess around with me." 

This is the ONLY reason to be sold on ANY player.

In all seriousness I'm a fan, I'm planning on watching some of the game today and gonna do a little more digging. I grabbed him right before he started flying off waivers for the game today.

1 hour ago, FinalProphet said:

I'm planning on watching some of the game today and gonna do a little more digging. I grabbed him right before he started flying off waivers for the game today.

I did the same thing. Trying to find reason to stop streaming my SP7 slot 😆

• Like 1

My partner in my money league sent me a thing awhile ago where he made tweaks to his fastball that have been paying dividends. Cant find a source though.

Impressive start tonight vs the Twins and for the season. 5-Ks and no walks tonight.

23k-5bb (4.6 k-bb) on the season. Looking like he has the skill of hanging in the zone and missing at bats. Way too early, but promising start to the year.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Light Tower Power said:

Impressive start tonight vs the Twins and for the season. 5-Ks and no walks tonight.

23k-5bb (4.6 k-bb) on the season. Looking like he has the skill of hanging in the zone and missing at bats. Way too early, but promising start to the year.

Looked good except for the two home runs. Nice easy throwing motion. Good movement on most of his pitches.

• Like 1

Watched the whole game. I am impressed by his stuff. I figured it to be middling stuff that he was getting the best out of.

but the stuff looks good. Sinking fb kills worms and he has a nasty curveball and some off speed stuff and a 2 seamer, all of which he can locate.

the times he got beat he was intentionally challenging hitters. I have no idea how the first one left the yard that high heater in a 2 strike count was literally neck higu

apparently prior to that HR he had the lowest BA and SLG against fb in MLB 

• Like 1

You guys are hanging onto him I take it ?

He's been solid certainly, he's as much of a mystery to me as he is to a lot of you guys though heh. Minors number aren't terrible nor super stellar, but seems like there's some stuff to like with this guy. 

I’ve watched his last two starts and really like what I’ve seen.  He has a true 5 pitch mix and uses it all efficiently.  His biggest pitch mix change has been cutting his 4 seamers on half and replacing them with sinkers which seems to be paying off.  The slider is still his try plus pitch and most of his whiffs are coming from it.

His delivery and command make him seem like someone that can really handle a starters workload and be a 160-180 IP guy going forward.  It is notable to know he was shut down for most of 2019 with a forearm strain and they’re not really letting him for more than 80 pitches per start right now.  

If he can stay healthy I can easily see him settling in as a #3-4 fantasy starter with a line looking something like 3.30 1.15 9.5 k/9.  Like most this year the biggest factor will be health and total innings.

• Like 5

Agreed nice writeup. I remain impressed by his stuff. I know I said this before but I pictured a chad kuhl type guy getting the most out of mediocre stuff for decent results but he has the look of a real solid pitcher 

• Like 1

Gotta say, I love the way he gutted out tonight despite adversity.

Example: 1 out, runner on first, 8 hole hitter up. Induces a clear double play ball - would be out of the inning with the pitcher leading off the next inning. Ideal scenario. Infield boots it, everybody's safe. 

Classic spot for a young pitcher to have a meltdown, but he Ks the next 2 batters to get out of it.

In the top of 6, Ka'ai Tom came a foot away and was Petco'd from a go-ahead double (turned into a game-tying sac fly) that would have put him in line for the win. As it is it was a pretty strong no decision. 

• Like 2

Brubaker is a good pitcher. Good SP4-SP5 option in fantasy. His biggest issues, imo, haven't been him at all, but his defense. His last 2 starts he's been burned by multiple errors and just poor defensive play. 

54 minutes ago, bpetty13 said:

[...] Anyone rolling him out there vs STL?

My league has no bench so your guys are your guys. He's in there for me because he's definitely one of my guys!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Update: he did ok. After the 5th run I thought it was going to be an 8 run affair.

the big spot in the game was edmans 2 run “:single” for runs 3 and 4 that possibly should have been an error off the 3b glove after a long run into the outfield that plated 2 runs. If not an error, definitely bad luck on a lazy pop up.

I may be sticking my head in the sand but I think the fact that he gutted it out into the 6th is still a sign that he’s a pretty good pitcher with a strong mental makeup 

Edited by cyberer
  • Like 1