NBC Sports Edge Forums

Will Smith, Travis d'Arnaud or both?

I currently have d'Arnaud as my catcher and Kiner-Falefa as a catcher-eligible utility player. Will Smith was recently dropped and I am intrigued by his potential. I'm leery of rostering two catchers, especially after some of my projected starters return from the IL. Should I pick up Smith to replace d'Arnaud, dump Kiner-Falefa and carry two catchers or leave Smith on the waiver wire?

Smith is the best C here. Problem is Dave Roberts indicated before the season started that the C starts in LA would be split. As of now Smith has started 9, Barnes 7 of 16. So less than 60% starts for Smith so far...

I’m not a fan of rostering two C’s, but in this circumstance I would to see if Robert’s changes his mind or injury etc. 

Yes dump IKF in this scenario.

There are two problems with rostering two catchers:

1) The obvious...eats up a valuable roster spot solely for the purpose of filling in your primary catcher's off days. 

2) Your back-up catcher will likely have a lot of off days too, so he won't even be available when you need him much of the time.

For this reason, I pick one and take the blank in that slot on his off days. It's a net gain by having another more useful player rostered. Leagues with deeper benches may be able to afford to carry two. So in my leagues I would go with Will Smith, he's the best hitter at that position in the game IMO. In your case, you should definitely go with Smith, because you have the flexibility of an every day player that is catcher eligible to slide in there on his off-days. Perfect situation for you. 

10 hours ago, kaesr said:

I currently have d'Arnaud as my catcher and Kiner-Falefa as a catcher-eligible utility player. Will Smith was recently dropped and I am intrigued by his potential. I'm leery of rostering two catchers, especially after some of my projected starters return from the IL. Should I pick up Smith to replace d'Arnaud, dump Kiner-Falefa and carry two catchers or leave Smith on the waiver wire?

Can you claim Smith then trade either him or d'Arnaud? If your league isn't active and you don't think that's a possibility then I would only claim him if you drop one of your other catchers. I'm not as sold on Smith as the others though. I think he's a marginal upgrade over d-Arnaud. 

Help with mine? 

Scoop up Hollywood & drop a mt. Also keep both dirty south & lone star state. Having 3 catcher depth is golden for when there is a day off, an injury, or PPD game due to rain / snow.