NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ryan Weathers 2021 Outlook

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2021 at 6:18 PM, Jason123 said:

So, are they going to let him go more than 4 innings?  He's available in my 10 team league and he's pitching superb -- but he needs to go more than 4 innings to be useful.  

Yeah apparently they've been waiting to let him go for a 3rd time through the order in Chicago on a night when HRs are flying out of Wrigley and the Cubs have been clicking on all cylinders 😄

Edited by Richard Kimble

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Since they aren't ever promoting Mackenzie Gore ever it seems I would think it would have to be Weathers.  Long taken in dynasty leagues, Weathers is golden for me.

In fairness to the Padres, Gore's performance this year in AAA has done nothing to force their hand to promote him.

2 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

In fairness to the Padres, Gore's performance this year in AAA has done nothing to force their hand to promote him.

Well apparently they also messed with his delivery which started the dominoes falling so I am not prepared to be fair to them, heh.  They scout and sign great pitching talent but the minor league coaching of same is suspect.  They messed with Patino too and TB is busy getting him back on track now.  Hopefully they didn't mess with Weathers too much.

On 6/28/2021 at 10:10 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well apparently they also messed with his delivery which started the dominoes falling so I am not prepared to be fair to them, heh.  They scout and sign great pitching talent but the minor league coaching of same is suspect.  They messed with Patino too and TB is busy getting him back on track now.  Hopefully they didn't mess with Weathers too much.

Maybe Gore should be dealt as well. 

1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Maybe Gore should be dealt as well. 

OT:  LOL but for Gore owners it would also be bad as in TB has starters, relievers, closers, openers, bulkers and sometimes a pitcher is all of them at once.  Their minors are great.  But Rays team pitching is confusing though.  Former SD Patino looked good this year but sent back down.  Too many young prospects being shuffled around. Also TB couldn't get Gore for Snell though they tried.  Had to "settle" for Pitino in that trade but as usual TB got the good end of a pitching trade.

Meanwhile Weathers is lucky to somehow weave his way up to the majors through all this pitching traffic back in SD.  Now he has to seize the moment and hold on to his break.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nlm said:

Does anybody know how many innings he is expected to go? Is he on a pitch count of any sort?

I checked his minor league game log. He threw roughly 85 pitches his last start and 75 pitches the one previous.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I checked his minor league game log. He threw roughly 85 pitches his last start and 75 pitches the one previous.

Good to see... he also went 10 innings in the minors, so I am assuming he went 5 in each start.

Posted (edited)

He was a fringe add for me in my 14tm, K/9 league. Don’t know what to make of him. Has the pedigree and the pretty ratios (for now), though his low K-rate and ERA predictors suggest he’s more of a 4.5 ERA guy. However, he’s only 21, plugs into the vacancy in a rotation of a very good team, and the Padres clearly like him, so we’ll see if he can take that next step. 

Edited by varock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, varock said:

He was a fringe add for me in my 14tm, K/9 league. Don’t know what to make of him. Has the pedigree and the pretty ratios (for now), though his low K-rate and ERA predictors suggest he’s more of a 4.5 ERA guy. However, he’s only 21, plugs into the vacancy in a rotation of a very good team, and the Padres clearly like him, so we’ll see if he can take that next step. 

I'm in too. RP elig in CBS is sweet.

• 2 weeks later...