NBC Sports Edge Forums

Appropriately enough this is the initial 2021 post for Chumpson 3 weeks into the season.

It ordinarily would be a bit shocking to me how a SS - 83% owned, ADP'd in the 10-15 rd 12-teamers in Y! leagues - does not have a thread yet, but of course he has been a complete bust so far at that price, so I can understand how no one wants to discuss this waste of time and space. Anyone who discusses him has to admit they drafted him - I'll go ahead and take the heat.

I caught on early in week 2 and started benching him but have been forced to use him more lately due to injuries to other useless SS. An empty spot scores higher than him in roto. WTF is Swanson doing in the major leagues. Dude is a disaster.

It is pretty darn discouraging so far. I was very high on him coming into the season given his pedigree, lineup context, and 2020 results. So far he's a total bum.

Everyone on the Braves not named Acuna has been awful so far. Albies, Freeman, D’Arnaud, Ozuna, and Riley have all started off ice cold. If Swanson is still bad when everyone else is hitting then it will be time to panic. 

11 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Appropriately enough this is the initial 2021 post for Chumpson 3 weeks into the season.

It ordinarily would be a bit shocking to me how a SS - 83% owned, ADP'd in the 10-15 rd 12-teamers in Y! leagues - does not have a thread yet, but of course he has been a complete bust so far at that price, so I can understand how no one wants to discuss this waste of time and space. Anyone who discusses him has to admit they drafted him - I'll go ahead and take the heat.

I caught on early in week 2 and started benching him but have been forced to use him more lately due to injuries to other useless SS. An empty spot scores higher than him in roto. WTF is Swanson doing in the major leagues. Dude is a disaster.

I’m going to assume this is your attempt at some cosmic fortune reversal. Chumpson, bust on April 20, disaster, shouldn’t be in the Bigs, waste of time and space? Lol. 

• Haha 1

I can assume from your number of posts that you have a lot of history playing fantasy baseball. Than you know not to panic on April 20.  Any single player in the dumps can have a hot week and be right back on top.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Everyone getting on base vs. Davies but Swanson.

Grounders and Ks.

Didn't see this coming. It's not like he's old.

I'm guessing you posted this after his first AB? Finally did something tonight, and thankfully there wasn't a full slate, otherwise he'd have been on my bench like he has been for a while. Hopefully he keeps it because he's next on the chopping block

23 hours ago, Deke said:

I'm guessing you posted this after his first AB? Finally did something tonight, and thankfully there wasn't a full slate, otherwise he'd have been on my bench like he has been for a while. Hopefully he keeps it because he's next on the chopping block

I seem to have the reverse jinx power. I say one thing and the opposite happens. So I am glad I posted this and he promptly homers his next AB. And he's had another big game today.

To the fantasy gods, I still think Swanson sucks. Prove me wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

He's got 3 homers all to right center, so obviously he's got power. Seems to me like he needs to tweak his swing. He's hitting the ball hard but his launch angle must be low. (Anyone have the data)

According to FG, he's avg exit velocity is 91 mph yet his HR/FB rate is only 7%. Suggests to me that he's just not pulling enough flyballs. LD rate also is 30%, but again maybe some of those are liners at infielders.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, octapuss said:

broski is going to turn it around......right?

🥴

I don't know (why would I look) how many PA's he has this year, but coming into tonight he has 55 Ks in 158 ABs. How this gets turned around is best left answered by a nuclear physicist or something.

Having a nice night tonight but this dude is brutal imo. 

I think he's a decent buy low/waiver guy. Hitting the ball harder than usual, and plate discipline isn't far off previous years. Still very early. 

• 1 month later...

Having a hard time rostering him in a 12-team redraft. Anyone moved on?  I have Adames and Turner and only own Swanson cuz I got him in a trade where I was able to finally unload Snell. 

He’s not far off from last year’s production but just seems like there’s much better options out there. 

5 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Having a hard time rostering him in a 12-team redraft. Anyone moved on?  I have Adames and Turner and only own Swanson cuz I got him in a trade where I was able to finally unload Snell. 

He’s not far off from last year’s production but just seems like there’s much better options out there. 

He had a nice month of May and good start to June but has been kinda Bleh of late.  In my 12 team redraft there is nothing remotely good enough on waivers to drop him for but if you can find someone you really want I could see making the move.  Either way I don't think Swanson is going to cost you a fantasy championship regardless of if you keep him or drop him.

I'm starting him, although there isn't many options in FAs for me, maybe JP Crawford and Iglesias are left. 

He's got to heat up sooner than later. He doesn't have to hit over .300 just a bit more consistency than he has lately and he'll at least be serviceable, I hope.

3 hours ago, CrimsonGhost said:

He has been the one player I have rostered who I would drop if there was anything decent.  He just keeps hanging on though.  Just can't quit him.  Thanks for those 2 HR today.  

This guy is just so...average for me, but there's no better option for me at Shortstop. I feel nothing about him. To his credit, he showed up for me this week.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Bregatron said:

This guy is just so...average for me, but there's no better option for me at Shortstop. I feel nothing about him. To his credit, he showed up for me this week.

Perfect assessment.....hes meh...hold the fort guy during barrage of injuries but not counting on him for much

The average has finally come up over .240, and maybe he'll do well over the second half. He is the 20th ranked SS on Yahoo right now, but his current pace of .243-72-27-72-11 isn't horrible. It was nice to see him heat up this week...hoping it portends good things to come. 

• 3 weeks later...

After all the crying and whining and weeping and gnashing of teeth itt, Swanson is playing pretty well. I know we can't remove April from his stats, but in May-July, he produced .268-44-18-50-6 in 299 ABs. In July, he had his best month so far, putting up .298-16-7-23-3. On Yahoo, he's up to 15th in their SS rankings for the season, and 3rd over the last month. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

After all the crying and whining and weeping and gnashing of teeth itt, Swanson is playing pretty well. I know we can't remove April from his stats, but in May-July, he produced .268-44-18-50-6 in 299 ABs. In July, he had his best month so far, putting up .298-16-7-23-3. On Yahoo, he's up to 15th in their SS rankings for the season, and 3rd over the last month. 

Loved him hitting in the 5 hole for a bit, but looks like he will be in the 7 hole now with Soler and Duvall added to the lineup

15 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

It’s already happening, of course he did drive in 7 out of the 7 hole last night, but still not ideal for the ROS

Yeah, I saw that, and Soler did go 3-for-4. But it is still a travesty that Soler would be hitting ahead of Swanson, and I say that as a Braves fan, not a Swanson owner. Swanson has a higher HR/AB rate over the last two seasons, and for his career aside from Soler's outlier 2019 season. He has higher BAs, higher OPS, and he's better on the basepaths. 

Even Duvall...Swanson has a better slash line all the way across. I get that Duvall is the slugger with more runs driven in, but over May-June, Swanson has just as many HRs, a better slash line, and only 5 fewer RBI. 

I'm just an armchair manager and fully understand that. I just find it a big ridiculous that Swanson is hitting behind Duvall and Soler, given how well he's hit over the last three months, and especially the month of July.