NBC Sports Edge Forums

He's starting to get some chatter in other player threads, so it seems like a good time to start the conversation. 

From a draft perspective he's a real wildcard, mocked between No. 4 overall and a mid-first round pick.

From a fantasy perspective he's got the appeal of a modern dual-threat quarterback. 

From a true player perspective he's to me, again, a wild card, especially as a runner. He has a lot of great runs of film - sometimes even bowling over linebackers, but when you look at the competition level it's hard to see that running style translate. I looked up some of the LBs he bullied in college and some were < 200 lbs - yikes.

And he fast, yes - very fast, but he doesn't show a lot of elusiveness on film. If that's because he doesn't need to be elusive against guys he can push over or outrun effortlessly that's one thing, but in the NFL that's not going to cut it. If f he's just a 30 lb lighter Cam Newton that's going to be a problem long-term for his health and productivity. 

People get giddy because at a glance he gets players comps like Josh Allen and Justin Herbert, because in general they check a lot of the same boxes, but there are some key differences in their film and scouting reports. I would like to point out a significant college trait of the two NFL stars vs Lance. 

1. Josh Allen - Scrambler, yes, but always kept eyes downfield, even in college. This skill has translated super well to the NFL and accounts for a lot of Allen's big plays, particularly with Stefon Diggs. His ability to buy time in the pocket, escape a pass rush and make a strike downfield has always been there. That mitigated some criticism of his overall accuracy. Lance's film shows a more binary decision maker: Make a read and throw or tuck the ball and run. 

2. Justin Herbert - Super accurate and productive passer deep and down the seams. Oregon's offense didn't cater to this, so he didn't have as many big plays as a guy like Joe Burrow, but it was always there. Lance's accuracy is a an issue. According to PFF he had the worst ball placement among the top QBs in this draft. He'll need to figure that out. 

What are your thoughts on where he lands, his fantasy outlook as a rookie and his overall outlook as an NFL player?

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 2
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He'll disappear into the depths of the internet, like some kind of Cybernetic Ghost or something

What’s funny to me is Lance at 3 is a realistic possibility. The noise of him going at 3 started like a week ago. No one is going to argue with this dude that Lance isn’t going at 3 because it’s

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Regarding Lance, this is a nice short film breakdown for those who have never seen him play:

The play at 2:31 is one of those "highlights," that gives me pause about Lance as a passer. His receiver is wide open and he throws a pass (for a TD) that would be intercepted or at least broken up 100% of the time in the NFL. Without calling him out by name that DB he targeted was a freshman at Butler, 5'9 165 lbs.

You can overlook college accuracy issues with a guy like Josh Allen who was obviously just out there Favre-ing it up, but Lance's inaccuracy comes at moments where he'll be relied on to make relatively routine throws in the NFL. 

Again, I see Colin Kaepernick as a more accurate comp. That's not a bad thing, but I'd taper any expectations of this guy being a 4000+ yard passer. 

Edited by P@ckersFan

40 minutes ago, beotos said:

Landing spots are everything

Definitely.

How can you project what 2021 will look like without knowing where he's at. His outlook would look a little different if he lands in San Fran than if he were to land in Atlanta. You know he isn't playing if in Atlanta, but he might get onto the field in San Fran.

A lock to be the #3 overall pick to the 49ers. They traded up for this player in particular. 

Has the upside to be QB1 in this draft class down the road.

The perfect, quintessential QB for Kyle Shanahan's offense. Very comparable to John Elway.

Do not be fooled by the Mac Jones / Fields smokescreen.

It is 100.00% guaranteed the 49ers are selecting Trey Lance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

A lock to be the #3 overall pick to the 49ers. They traded up for this player in particular. 

Has the upside to be QB1 in this draft class down the road.

The perfect, quintessential QB for Kyle Shanahan's offense. Very comparable to John Elway.

Do not be fooled by the Mac Jones / Fields smokescreen.

It is 100.00% guaranteed the 49ers are selecting Trey Lance. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
34 minutes ago, beotos said:

giphy.gif

?

Are you one of those who has been completely played by the sports media like a fiddle?

Delusional.

But you'll see in 8 days. Reality will hit you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean, imagine NOT realizing that the 49ers traded up specifically for this player in particular.

Trey Lance is the perfect, quintessential QB for Kyle Shanahan's QB-under-center play-action run game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, PisEdiRin said:

?

Are you one of those who has been completely played by the sports media like a fiddle?

Delusional.

But you'll see in 8 days. Reality will hit you.

You’re right everyone in the media is a dumb a**.

On the other hand, PisEdiRin is the chosen one. Schefter and Rapoport shake in their boots at the fear of losing their jobs due to the all knowing one. 

11 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

On the other hand, PisEdiRin is the chosen one. Schefter and Rapoport shake in their boots at the fear of losing their jobs due to the all knowing one. 

1000% guarantee the pick at #3 is Lance.

Bookmark this thread.

Come back here on April 29th. I will be waiting for your full apology.

Remember - you set yourself up. U did this to urself.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The media is doing that on purpose to set up a "surprise" on Draft Night when the 49ers draft Lance (when it was always Lance the whole time).

Hook, Line, and Sinker.

You have been fooled, but you are not the only one. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Bookmark this thread.

Imagine thinking I give enough of a damn to bookmark this thread.

1 hour ago, PisEdiRin said:

Bookmark this thread.

Betting odds say +400 for Lance to be the 3rd overall pick. If it's a 100% guarantee, you should take the opportunity to 4x your net worth. It's free money, laying on the ground for you to pick it up. 

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you won't be wagering anything, so you don't believe it to be 100%.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, trilly said:

Betting odds say +400 for Lance to be the 3rd overall pick. If it's a 100% guarantee, you should take the opportunity to 4x your net worth. It's free money, laying on the ground for you to pick it up. 

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you won't be wagering anything, so you don't believe it to be 100%.

I have never placed a wager on a betting line - I don't even know how to bet this, honestly. I absolutely want to, and I do believe it 100%. But like I said, I have 0 experience when it comes to betting on a line. Can you teach me the best way to go about this? I live in New Jersey so that might complicate matters (I think, not sure)

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

I have never placed a wager on a betting line - I don't even know how to bet this, honestly. I absolutely want to, and I do believe it 100%. But like I said, I have 0 experience when it comes to betting on a line. Can you teach me the best way to go about this? I live in New Jersey so that might complicate matters (I think, not sure)

Assuming you're not being sarcastic...

https://www.nj.com/betting/online-sports-betting/best-nj-sites.html

NJ's actually pretty liberal in their online sports betting laws. But +400 means for every $100 you risk, you'd make $400 if you win. When the line shows negative, that means that person is the favorite. For example, Fields is favored at -115, so for every $115 at risk, you could win $100.

Edited by trilly
  • Like 3