• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From one title town to another

Mac is Cam backwards  💀

No he doesn't, and you don't think so either. Mac is fine and accurate when he has his first read and 4 seconds to read the field. He even gets to his second read occasionally. But he crumbles un

Posted Images

Starting to think this may in fact all be smoke and mirrors, but...

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah and ESPN's Mel Kiper both believe the 49ers will select Alabama QB Mac Jones with the third overall pick.

Neither talking head had Jones locked in at No. 3 but Kiper did give Jones a 70-percent chance of being the pick. Sentiment on who San Francisco is going to take has been all over the place since they traded up, presumably to take a quarterback. Interestingly, both Kiper and Jeremiah named North Dakota State QB Trey Lance as the runner-up at No. 3, leaving Ohio State QB Justin Fields out of the conversation. Jones was originally reported to be the likely choice for HC Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers but San Francisco staff have been present at Ohio State and North Dakota state Pro Days.

Apr 21, 2021, 4:22 PM ET
5 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Starting to think this may in fact all be smoke and mirrors, but...

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah and ESPN's Mel Kiper both believe the 49ers will select Alabama QB Mac Jones with the third overall pick.

Neither talking head had Jones locked in at No. 3 but Kiper did give Jones a 70-percent chance of being the pick. Sentiment on who San Francisco is going to take has been all over the place since they traded up, presumably to take a quarterback. Interestingly, both Kiper and Jeremiah named North Dakota State QB Trey Lance as the runner-up at No. 3, leaving Ohio State QB Justin Fields out of the conversation. Jones was originally reported to be the likely choice for HC Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers but San Francisco staff have been present at Ohio State and North Dakota state Pro Days.

Apr 21, 2021, 4:22 PM ET

It's all smoke and mirrors.

It's a nice storyline leading up to the draft.

This is how the media manufactures pre-draft content.

However - they did get 1 thing right - Fields is indeed out of the conversation. That is definitely true.

Until I see it myself, I just can not believe the 49'ers traded up to 3 for Mac Jones. Makes no sense to me. I just don't see how they couldn't have given up less in a trade for the Eagles pick and still landed on Jones. 

I think it comes down to Fields or Lance,  I wouldn't be surprised with either but lean towards it being Fields.

8 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

Until I see it myself, I just can not believe the 49'ers traded up to 3 for Mac Jones. Makes no sense to me. I just don't see how they couldn't have given up less in a trade for the Eagles pick and still landed on Jones. 

I think it comes down to Fields or Lance,  I wouldn't be surprised with either but lean towards it being Fields.

I think they're going with Jones because they see him as the perfect fit. They want someone who can execute the offense and make good decisions (not saying that Lance or Fields can't do that). Make no mistake Jones has a deadly arm, good pocket presence, decision-making. He will destroy you with accuracy on intermediate throws -- he's being underrated for his apparent lack of athleticism, but anyone who knows football and quarterbacks knows that's the last thing you need to be successful.

Edited by beotos
  • Like 2

I get it, I keep hearing Matt Ryan 2.0. I think what throws me is them trading up to pick 3, rather than pick 7, when they could have got the same thing at a lesser cost. And I don't know why Shanahan could expand his scheme to fit the evolving QB.

Mac Jones played with totally clean pockets throwing to all world WRs protected by future NFL O-lineman going up against inferior opponents who also had to sell out to stop the run, but still couldn't do it.

Jones better have excelled given that setup.  How is he going to do facing pass rush pressure and throwing into tight windows?

Edited by SharkSwimmer
3 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

You have completely misread the board, misread the situation.

There are only 3 franchise-altering players in this draft: Lawrence, Wilson, Lance.

The 49ers traded up to 3 to get the last franchise-altering player.

The Falcons were going to draft Lance at 4. They are the biggest losers of the draft - The 49ers jumped the Falcons for Trey Lance.

Mac Jones = Christian Ponder

Prove me wrong.

Feels weird to be on the same side of an issue with @PisEdiRin, but there it is.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, beotos said:

I think they're going with Jones because they see him as the perfect fit. They want someone who can execute the offense and make good decisions (not saying that Lance or Fields can't do that). Make no mistake Jones has a deadly arm, good pocket presence, decision-making. He will destroy you with accuracy on intermediate throws -- he's being underrated for his apparent lack of athleticism, but anyone who knows football and quarterbacks knows that's the last thing you need to be successful.

spot on.

you don’t have to be an elite athlete. You have to be elite at getting the ball to the elite athletes accurately and on time.

6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Mac Jones played with totally clean pockets throwing to all world WRs protected by future NFL O-lineman going up against inferior opponents who also had to sell out to stop the run, but still couldn't do it.

Jones better have excelled given that setup.  How is he going to do facing pass rush pressure and throwing into tight windows?

Thought you were talking about Joe Burrow, at LSU in 2019, my bad.

😂

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

I'm with you.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Mac Jones = Christian Ponder

Prove me wrong.

Feels weird to be on the same side of an issue with @PisEdiRin, but there it is.

Ponder never had a completion percentage over 68%

Mac checks in at a strong 77%

you have used the worn out excuse that he played on a loaded team so he isn’t good but yet you are quick to excuse someone like Joe Burrow from the same criticism.

Mac has to be elite at what he does well. Which is his accuracy, he gets the balls to the right guys and on time and he doesn’t make bad decisions that lead to a lot of turnovers. Not that he is the most athletic or will be the most fantasy friendly but he can fit a certain offensive philosophy perfectly. SF obviously wants to run the ball, that has been their identity the last few seasons including their super bowl run. Shanahan seems to me wants a system QB, hand off, hand off, play action, means he needs a steady, reliably accurate QB who will limit the turnovers. That sounds like Mac to me. Everyone around him has been effusive with their praise of his accuracy, something I never heard of Christian Ponder, rightfully so since Macs completion percentage was about 10 points higher.

Yeah, I really don't get why people are so shocked at the idea of Mac Jones. Of course people get excited about the super athletic guys as having higher upside, and I get that. But look at the greatest QBs and how many of them were elite, ground breaking athletes at the position? It's loaded with guys like Brady, Manning, Brees, Montana, etc. None of these dudes were physical marvels at any point.

If they feel strongly about Jones I don't think it's surprising to go with him (he definitely has many echoes with Burrow from last year). I think it's weird he looks like a soccer dad who's 40, but that has zero impact on his actual ability. Going to be fascinating to see how this class develops.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Yeah Lance is great at both.

Lance can keep the ball himself on those bootlegs and run like a RB. Mac Jones doesn't have this skill. Mac Jones was given manufactured production playing on the most dominant team.

New-age NFL. 

You realize NDSU is the Alabama of the FCS right?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

You realize NDSU is the Alabama of the FCS right?

Skill-set. New-age NFL.

McVay gave up 2 extra 1sts for Stafford.

Shanahan gave up 2 extra 1sts for Lance.

New-age QB in new-age NFL.

Shanahan wants Trey Lance skill-set, not Mac Jones skill-set. Why is this so hard for you to see?

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Yeah Lance is great at both.

Lance can keep the ball himself on those bootlegs and run like a RB. Joe Burrow doesn't have this skill. Joe Burrow was given manufactured production playing on the most dominant team.

New-age NFL. 

FIFY

cant use this argument against Mac and not against Joe.

plenty of evidence already pointed out that the best QBs of all time are not elite athletes but are elite at getting the ball to playmakers.

Mac doesn’t have to run the ball and risk getting hurt like Lance because Mac is an elite passer and can just get it to one of his playmakers this remaining healthy, effective, and available longer than most dual threat QBs.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Skill-set. New-age NFL.

McVay gave up 2 extra 1sts for Stafford.

Shanahan gave up 2 extra 1sts for Lance.

New-age QB in new-age NFL.

Shanahan wants Trey Lance skill-set, not Mac Jones skill-set. Why is this so hard for you to see?

You know Mac profiles closer to Stafford than Lance does 😂

that argument cracks me up and you have made it twice. New age NFL and Mcvay wants the slow running, accurate QB and gave up 2 1sts for him.

shanny trades 2 1sts to trade up and take a new age QB like Mcvay? Cause that would be Mac Jones. If he wants the next RGIII or Mitch Trubisky then they could take Lance.

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

FIFY

cant use this argument against Mac and not against Joe.

plenty of evidence already pointed out that the best QBs of all time are not elite athletes but are elite at getting the ball to playmakers.

Mac doesn’t have to run the ball and risk getting hurt like Lance because Mac is an elite passer and can just get it to one of his playmakers this remaining healthy, effective, and available longer than most dual threat QBs.

You're lost. Shanahan just watched his division rival Rams trade for Stafford. McVay runs the same scheme as Shanahan. The game has evolved. Shanahan traded all those assets for a new-age QB who fits perfectly into his scheme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, PisEdiRin said:

You're lost. Shanahan just watched his division rival Rams trade for Stafford. McVay runs the same scheme as Shanahan. The game has evolved. Shanahan traded all those assets for a new-age QB who fits perfectly into his scheme.

Mac is a Stafford clone.

if you are right, then SF will draft Mac. Interesting to see you come around so quickly. it must have become apparent to you how Trey Lance is nothing like Matthew Stafford.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

You know Mac profiles closer to Stafford than Lance does 😂

that argument cracks me up and you have made it twice. New age NFL and Mcvay wants the slow running, accurate QB and gave up 2 1sts for him.

shanny trades 2 1sts to trade up and take a new age QB like Mcvay? Cause that would be Mac Jones. If he wants the next RGIII or Mitch Trubisky then they could take Lance.

Setting yourself up. Be here in 8 days. You're lost.

• Like 1