NBC Sports Edge Forums

I love DHC as a poster but he has a glaring weakness for Crimson Tide players, despite the generally poor showing of their QBs, for those few who actually get drafted by NFL teams.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From one title town to another

Mac is Cam backwards  💀

No he doesn't, and you don't think so either. Mac is fine and accurate when he has his first read and 4 seconds to read the field. He even gets to his second read occasionally. But he crumbles un

Posted Images

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

I love DHC as a poster but he has a glaring weakness for Crimson Tide players, despite the generally poor showing of their QBs, for those few who actually get drafted by NFL teams.

i appreciate some of your posts too but i get confused when you straight up ignore the success of Joe Burrow under similar conditions as Mac Jones but completely dismiss Mac fairly quickly based on what? Where he went to college?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

You really want to do a debate about Joe Burrow v. Mac Jones?  That is silly now and it is going to be even more ridiculous after this season.  

And, in five years, more absurd yet when Mac Jones is a backup or out of the league.

ill be happy to take that bet, if you ever felt so inclined.

id be happy to discuss Joe Burrow vs Mac Jones.

What did Joe do in 2019 that was so much better than Mac in 2020? According to who you ask Joe had better offensive weapons than Mac did. 

joe had better weapons and checked in at 76% completion percentage

Mac checked in at 77% with less talented skill position players.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

And completion percentage is the only stat that matters.  

Unless that stat does not favor the Alabama player in any comparison.

Burrow threw 70 TDs in a real college football season.

Mac had a nice year with a superteam around him in a very very strange Covid-limited season.  I suspect we will see many anomalies emerge from the 2020 season unlike any other.  Mac Jones may well be one of them.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And completion percentage is the only stat that matters.  

Unless that stat does not favor the Alabama player in any comparison.

Burrow threw 70 TDs in a real college football season.

Mac had a nice year with a superteam around him in a very very strange Covid-limited season.  I suspect we will see many anomalies emerge from the 2020 season unlike any other.  Mac Jones may well be one of them.

Mac threw 41 TDs and played ALL SEC oppponents, he played no weaker opponents like Joe did when he threw his 70 TDs. Like against Georgia Southern and Northwestern State. Pretty sure Mac could have put up some gaudy stats against those 2 behemoths as well to help pad his stats.

I prefer completion percentage cause it give you a better overall idea of a QBs accuracy, even screen passes have to be thrown accurately. People raved about Burrow having a 76% completion percentage but don’t want to mention that Mac had 77% and didn’t get to play against Georgia Southern or Northwestern State, Mac dealt with more adversity as well, non traditional spring due to COVID, all SEC Opponents, no weaker FCS opponents to pad stats, lost Jaylen Waddle early in the season so threw to Devonta Smith and some guys named Slade Bolden, John met Joe and Jahleel Billingsley, not exactly the same as throwing to Jamar chase, Justin Jefferson, Terrance marshal, etc..

6 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Stafford is an athletic marvel with a cannon for an arm.  Not sure why he is comparable to Mac Jones.  That does not seem to work.  

And I am not sure we know all that much about Mac's decision-making.  It was a weird year for CFB with the pandemic shortening the season and limiting everything.

Mac had an embarassment of riches around him.  Most every option available on each play probably would have worked out well.

Feel like I'm shitting and defending on players in different threads to ensure balance

But I'll go again: He had worse weapons than Tua (Jeudy/Ruggs/Smith/Waddle/Najee vs Smith/4 games of Waddle/Metchie/Billingsley/Najee)

Fields and Burrow played with elite WR corps too--as did Baker and Kyler

His decision making and anticipation is obviously great. He isn't flashy but he gets the ball where it needs to be consistently

I don't see him having that much fantasy upside but it's strange how differently he is being treated as a prospect than Tua and Burrow were

• Like 1

Mac Jones doesn't have the arm that Stafford or Joe Burrow have, period. That doesn't make him a bad prospect or discredit the amazing year he had, it's just a fact. 

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

Mac Jones doesn't have the arm that Stafford or Joe Burrow have, period. That doesn't make him a bad prospect or discredit the amazing year he had, it's just a fact. 

Stafford yes for sure

His arm isn't that far off from guys like Burrow, Philip Rivers (pre decline), Tony Romo or Matt Ryan though

He isn't Kyle Trask

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Stafford yes for sure

His arm isn't that far off from guys like Burrow, Philip Rivers (pre decline), Tony Romo or Matt Ryan though

He isn't Kyle Trask

this is pretty much exactly right. 

Mac can throw it 65 yards but he doesn’t have the velocity of someone like Stafford or Aaron Rodgers but he doesn’t have to have that to be the perfect fit for a certain system.

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

this is pretty much exactly right. 

Mac can throw it 65 yards but he doesn’t have the velocity of someone like Stafford or Aaron Rodgers but he doesn’t have to have that to be the perfect fit for a certain system.

Smokescreen has got you COMPLETELY hoodwinked.

This is really the best smokescreen ever. It worked.

You have people like yourself actually believing this nonsense.

Props to the SF 49ers...for 1) reading the board correctly and identifying that Trey Lance is the final franchise-altering player...and 2) fooling the masses with the most effective smokescreen ever

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Mac threw 41 TDs and played ALL SEC oppponents, he played no weaker opponents like Joe did when he threw his 70 TDs. Like against Georgia Southern and Northwestern State. Pretty sure Mac could have put up some gaudy stats against those 2 behemoths as well to help pad his stats.

I prefer completion percentage cause it give you a better overall idea of a QBs accuracy, even screen passes have to be thrown accurately. People raved about Burrow having a 76% completion percentage but don’t want to mention that Mac had 77% and didn’t get to play against Georgia Southern or Northwestern State, Mac dealt with more adversity as well, non traditional spring due to COVID, all SEC Opponents, no weaker FCS opponents to pad stats, lost Jaylen Waddle early in the season so threw to Devonta Smith and some guys named Slade Bolden, John met Joe and Jahleel Billingsley, not exactly the same as throwing to Jamar chase, Justin Jefferson, Terrance marshal, etc..

Just because a team is in the SEC, does not mean they are any good.  Especially in a weird Covid year. SEC 2019 >>> SEC 2020.

11 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Just because a team is in the SEC, does not mean they are any good.  Especially in a weird Covid year. SEC 2019 >>> SEC 2020.

I agree. Joe Burrow put up 6 TDs against a weak Vanderbilt team in 2019.

the SEC is the toughest conference top to bottom though, no real disputing that.

4 SEC teams finished in the top 10 in 2020

3 SEC teams finished top 10 in 2019

COVID the reason for this as well?

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

We Are All Witnesses.

College System QB.

Shanahan is signed thru 2025. Lynch is signed thru 2024. Both have job security, neither is under pressure to win right now. This is a long term move. Giving up 2 extra 1sts was for a QB who will grow with them for the next 10+ years. Think about what the new-age NFL will look like from 2021-2030+. Trey Lance is the new-age QB - all the QB tools + excellent QB instincts and football IQ and intelligence

Edited by PisEdiRin
2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

They're about to lose a whole lot of money.

Andrew Thomas wasn't even the favorite to go #4 overall to the Giants last year. I maintained he was the pick from start to finish, and I was right. I didn't bet then because I didn't know how to. But I would have won a ton of money.

Lance +400 is collecting free money.

Edited by PisEdiRin
4 hours ago, P@ckersFan said:

Joe Burrow doesn't exactly have a big arm. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

The conversation around Mac Jones is virtually indistinguishable from the conversations around Josh Rosen lol. 

Then Mac would be perfect in SF, creating the perfect starter/backup combo.

😎

Posted (edited)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/04/22/gameplan-steve-sarkisian-mac-jones-alabama-nfl-special

He’s already a pro,” Sarkisian said. “Prepares like an NFL quarterback, he’s been doing it. Understanding a game plan, which is very intricate in the National Football League, that will never be an issue with this guy. I mean, he’s going to put in the work, he’s going to prepare. He’s going to think like the coordinator and then ultimately he’s going to go execute the calls and the checks—he did it exactly like I would want him to.”

And that’s the part that Sarkisian knows will translate.

“How he gets to that point, I don’t know,” Sarkisian said. “Is he up till three in the morning memorizing, studying? That’s not really my concern. My concern is the next day when he comes in or on Saturdays when the ball’s kicked off. He knows exactly what the game plan is, why we’re doing what we’re doing, the checks that are needed, the issues on every play. If they do this, this could be a problem. The guy, he knew it. 

“And it was very comforting for me, calling plays, knowing I had a guy that was thinking like me on the field that I could have real dialogue with on the sidelines on why we were going to go do what we were going to do next based off of what we were getting. And he understood why. And it was easy for him because he had prepared so well.”

The NFL won’t be as easy, of course.

But as Sarkisian sees it, because of all of this, it’ll be a lot easier for Jones than some others. Which, if you don’t know him, might be just a little harder to see.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Just admit it.

you had to google it just to find Jay Barker.

Nah i have a really, really good memory for mostly pointless shizz like this.  I remember him primarily bc everyone I know rooted for the Hurricanes that year and I remember seeing him beat them in whatever bowl game it was despite barely throwing any passes

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Nah i have a really, really good memory for mostly pointless shizz like this.  I remember him primarily bc everyone I know rooted for the Hurricanes that year and I remember seeing him beat them in whatever bowl game it was despite barely throwing any passes

Sugar Bowl 1992, Miami was the heavy favorite and Alabama defense destroyed Gino Torreta and ruined his draft stock in that game too. 

5 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

We Are All Witnesses.

Yeah yeah yeah. Never judge College guys on their highlights; judge them on how they react when they get in trouble, when they get hurried, when they get chased.

That highlight tape is nice for grandma but it's completely irrelevant when you get to the big boys; but the skills you learn and show under stress, those translate to the NFL - maybe. Can you make a decision with a DE in your face? Can you make a decision when all your receivers are covered? Can you change a play when the defense switches between man and zone?

You definitely don't see that in the highlight tapes, and quite often you don't see it in college at all. That's why people say "yes but he played at Alabama; not because that's somehow a negative, but because we do have to study harder to find the plays where he was under pressure.

For instance, in the Auburn game, most of his plays are from the pocket and he has all day to scan the field, and he does that well. The first time the pocket collapses, this happens:

giphy.gif

Is that necessarily bad? No, sometimes it's better to eat the sack than to play hero ball, especially up 0-7 in a game you're going to win anyway. But I think those plays are a whole lot more interesting than him throwing balls at open receivers for 6 minutes.

• Like 4