NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Spencer Howard 2021 Outlook

No thread so I started one.

Well is he up for good? Tonight he struck out 3 in 1.1 inns. relief. Matt Moore on the IL. True.....limit his innings. Ease him in and then....  let him go! .....with an innings limit.

"Spencer Howard retired all four batters he faced, striking out three of them, in relief Wednesday against the Giants.

It looks like the Phillies have a quality setup man here. Howard topped out at 98 mph today and averaged 96.6 mph with his fastball. His slider was also up a couple of mph from his days as a starter last year. Howard still projects as a starter for the long haul, but the Phillies want him in the pen for a good portion of this year in order to manage his innings."

Edited by tonycpsu

• tonycpsu changed the title to Spencer Howard 2021 Outlook

His velo on the fastball is up over 2.5 ticks. Much more in line with his scouting reports from the minors. Now it could just be related to being in the pen, but I don't think that is the case.

Probably can be had very cheaply due to his initial struggles. Innings limit will be a big concern, but if the velo is back he could be a weapon.

13 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

His velo on the fastball is up over 2.5 ticks. Much more in line with his scouting reports from the minors. Now it could just be related to being in the pen, but I don't think that is the case.

Probably can be had very cheaply due to his initial struggles. Innings limit will be a big concern, but if the velo is back he could be a weapon.

You talking about keeper or redraft? I think this year his innings will be limited, but  if the Phillies are competitive by the end of the year I absolutely see him getting a shot.  Their 4th/5th starter is a big ol question mark as of right now.  Nola/Wheeler/Eflin/Howard + the improved bullpen though and you've got a pitching that could make some noise in the postseason.

25 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

You talking about keeper or redraft? I think this year his innings will be limited, but  if the Phillies are competitive by the end of the year I absolutely see him getting a shot.  Their 4th/5th starter is a big ol question mark as of right now.  Nola/Wheeler/Eflin/Howard + the improved bullpen though and you've got a pitching that could make some noise in the postseason.

I play keeper / dynasty exclusively. I can't even imagine playing any other way. So as far as redraft I really have no feel for how people view him.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Who takes his place? Moore? That Falter kid looks amazing, I hope they give him a shot.

I’d bet a reasonable sum of money that Falter takes his place and I’d bet a reasonable some of money that he becomes fantasy relevant in most leagues.

• Like 1