NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nico's defense has improved enough while at the alternate site that the Cubs called him up to the majors today.   Could be a decent source of stolen bases, while also not killing your batting average and a enough pop in the bat to hit a few HRs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Nico Hoerner 2021 Outlook
  • DarinB300 featured and unfeatured this topic

His defense improved enough?  The dude was a gold glove finalist last year, pretty sure his defense had nothing to do with being held down.  They were trying to gain an extra year but pretty sure they fell short by 1-2 weeks.  Not exactly sure how that works but may mean he’s gonna get sent back down at some point.

if he’s available I’d pick him up everywhere though, he added some strength this off season and showed it off in ST.  Could be a sneaky 15-15 guy if he plays most of the year.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BackyardBaseball said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he stayed betting leadoff for the next 5 years.  He’s here I stay.

What happens when Pederson returns? Bote won the 2B job out of camp. Has  he esupplanted him?

Bote has been terrible. He was re-signed to be a super-sub and that's what he was expected to be. I think most people were surprised he won the 2B job, because Hoerner was the better hitter in spring training. I think Hoerner sticks, but may be on the larger end of a timeshare.

• Like 1

Xander Bogaerts.  Could see him having a very similar career path.  Doubles machine who doesn’t really find his power stroke until the second half of his twenties 

Zobrist was a different kind of hitter.  Hoerner has elite contact skills and will probably never strike out 100 times in a season

Edited by BackyardBaseball
On 4/22/2021 at 6:50 PM, murraygd13 said:

Nico's defense has improved enough while at the alternate site that the Cubs called him up to the majors today.   Could be a decent source of stolen bases, while also not killing your batting average and a enough pop in the bat to hit a few HRs.

Hope this part comes true.  [...] would be nice to see high avg/steals.  I think like everyone else said, unsure where he is in the lineup once everyone healthy 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
1 hour ago, einstein2u said:

Can I get a scouting report?  Comparable player?

Ian Kinsler would be the pie-in-the-sky ceiling, but I don’t think Hoerner will average 18 homers a season over his career but BA, doubles, triples, steals, K rate, make me think he could have close to that kind of career. 

For those thinking of making the plunge,  are there any playing time concerns moving forward? More so when everyone's healthy. This has a slight Colorsdo Rockies type feel to it.  Although I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can clear that up.  Thanks in advance 

24 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

For those thinking of making the plunge,  are there any playing time concerns moving forward? More so when everyone's healthy. This has a slight Colorsdo Rockies type feel to it.  Although I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can clear that up.  Thanks in advance 

Highly doubt it as long as he is hitting.  He’s their best defensive and offensive option at 2nd right now.  He was held down for service time manipulation not cause he didn’t deserve the job out of spring.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Highly doubt it as long as he is hitting.  He’s their best defensive and offensive option at 2nd right now.  He was held down for service time manipulation not cause he didn’t deserve the job out of spring.  

I don't know a ton about the current iteration of the Cubs but they have used the "super-sub" to good effect before. Even if everyone is healthy Hoerner feels like a guy who will play 5 times a week and could pick up SS and OF eligibility (already 2 games played at each) along the way. If he hits and stays with the club a very nice bench piece to have. 

Fun fact: he has more extra base hits now than he did all of last season.

Safe to say there is probably something going on here. Spring seemed noticeably improved too. I believe I saw something about improved EV

Seems Luis Arraez-esque at first blush. 

(Looked at Arraez...Nico has a bit more pop but less average/OBP)

Nice speculative add. 

They can send him back down for more control correct? So he is only temporary?

16 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Seems Luis Arraez-esque at first blush. 

(Looked at Arraez...Nico has a bit more pop but less average/OBP)

Nice speculative add. 

No disrespect to either player, or your comp, which might be right.  But that's not a ringing endorsement.   My first thought was early Adam Eaton.  These are useful guys for sure, but if people are spending faab and dropping someone else of value, what exactly are we getting? Looks like a two and a half category contributor from everything I see with an big push in his rankings because of defense.  I've seen a few mentions of "untapped raw power" that I'd like to know.more about. I'm not here to knock the guy, or anyone else who likes him,but I'm genuinely curious if he's projected as a "middle infield option who won't hurt you"  or "a top 12 2b that will fill some stats for you."

*edit: Adam Eaton was better than I remember after checking his stats. That would he great production. Maybe, a poor man's Adam Eaton?

Edited by Cesare13
1 minute ago, murraygd13 said:

He will contribute in average, runs, and add around 10-15 HR and SB. Useful, but I wouldn't go crazy trying to acquire him

10-15 combined hr/sb? 

* I'm a Hiura sufferer, this guy could go to the plate without a bat and contribute more.

5 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

10-15 combined hr/sb? 

* I'm a Hiura sufferer, this guy could go to the plate without a bat and contribute more.

I'll go 20-25 combined

Ya'll are under-estimating his HR/SB upside. Nico absolutely has a reserve of raw power.  Will depend on how often he can pull fly balls or he chooses a more all fields approach.  Nico does not have a ton of pro reps. They tweaked with his swing in 2018. Then he fractured his wrist thanks to HBP in late April of 2019. and 2019 was the year he played the most games.