NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Najee Harris 2021 Outlook

3 hours ago, P@ckersFan said:

"So this is kind of the sentiment that I subscribe to as well, because I see Najee as factoring heavily into the passing game, just like Steelers RBs always have.."

Good point, as those "quality" looks that were deemed a concern earlier in the thread may in fact come via the screen game or as a check down or from turning and facing his QB after stoning a blitzer. I love RB & really like this player & what they've done personnel-wise. I do believe it will work, IF they commit to balance. Accordingly, this is what has happened: 

1.) Ben Roethlisberger influenced the firing & hiring of the previous OCs!

2.) Last year, early on Matt Canada installed parts of his playbook, including aspects of the running game. Although these features were successful, they weren't to Ben's liking & were scrapped!

3.) Down the stretch the offense wasn't even practicing running plays. 

4.) Ben doesn't like to take the snap under center or any type of pre-snap motion or play-action or anything that turns his back to the defense, ie, misdirection. Doesn't like pre-snap motion, doesn't like play-action or anything that turns his back to the defense, ie, misdirection.  

5.) Just recently Matt Canada was cited as saying that offensively they're going to run what Ben wants & how he wants it. 

I feel the QB should retire or the team should cut him. That's just way too much influence, negatively, for a QB that isn't top tier. I want Harris, especially in longer formats but I'm drafting before the preseason, too much uncertainty for the 2nd rd.

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1

In my leagues guessing how my guys draft I think he will go mayhe 3rd 4th or so. Hard to say...when it comes to fantasy my whole point is Harris will rise up fast....just like Henry took a little bit to break into that top echelon, I feel Harris will get to where Conner was being drafted by next year and OR higher. This year sure I want him, but I'm not going to just grab him in 2nd round per say. But that might change come August....hard to say.  

I'm just looking forward to it, especially coming off such disappointing years with conner in general. 

7 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Umm, did something happen to Aaron Jones? 

Jones, Akers, Gibson, and Ekeler all have to be ahead of Harris in PPR leagues.

That puts Harris at RB14, at best. And that's not including guys like Mixon, Monty, Carson, Dobbins, CEH, Jacobs, etc.

Aaron Jones...pssshh.....but yeah Aaron Jones too. 

I like Najee more than Ekeler and Gibson and way more than that last tier except Dobbins who I like more than the rest. 

On 6/25/2021 at 5:08 PM, Savatage79 said:

In my leagues guessing how my guys draft I think he will go mayhe 3rd 4th or so. Hard to say...when it comes to fantasy my whole point is Harris will rise up fast....just like Henry took a little bit to break into that top echelon, I feel Harris will get to where Conner was being drafted by next year and OR higher. This year sure I want him, but I'm not going to just grab him in 2nd round per say. But that might change come August....hard to say.  

I'm just looking forward to it, especially coming off such disappointing years with conner in general. 

Lol, you would take Najee 100 out of 100 times in the 2nd round. 😂

Henry didn’t come into the Titans as the bell cow RB, Najee is for Pittsburgh. Najee’s situation is more comparable to Zeke or CMC rookie years. The undisputed bellcow RB for their respective teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lol, you would take Najee 100 out of 100 times in the 2nd round. 😂

Henry didn’t come into the Titans as the bell cow RB, Najee is for Pittsburgh. Najee’s situation is more comparable to Zeke or CMC rookie years. The undisputed bellcow RB for their respective teams.

Oh I'm not denying 😄

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

james Robinson, Chris Carson, Myles gaskin, Kenyan drake, miles sanders, etc…

Yea the list is way more extensive than people think..I really feel a lot is that many people that have rb need and hate that Najee didn't land on their team perhaps, so the hate is strong 

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2021 at 11:07 AM, ajs723 said:

Forte, SJAx, and Charles are all Hall of Fame caliber players. They also happen to be three of the greatest pass catching RBs of all time. Likewise, Dalvin Cook, Barkley, and CMC are probably the three best RBs on Earth right now. All three of those teams also improved their lines. 

None of the RBs you named are HOF’ers. Forte, SJax, and Charles are all good ball players but not HOF’ers. Charles might have the best case but his shortened career will always work against him. None of those guys are touching someone like Ladanian Tomlinson, who is a real Hall of Famer. Steven Jackson had 460 catches in 11 seasons, a guy like Brian Westbrook had 440 catches in 8 years, I’d hardly call sjax one of the best receiving backs of all time. Edgerrin James was better than SJax and he isn’t making the HOF.

marshall Faulk and LaDanian Tomlinson are The Godfather’s of pass catching RBs.

also, while CMC, Cookie Monster, and Quads Barkley are some of the best RBs on planet earth they are not THE best RB on the planet. That title belongs to King Henry.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Thanks 1

james Robinson, Chris Carson, Myles gaskin, Kenyan drake, miles sanders, etc…

saquon tore the league up with one of the worst lines in recent memory. 

Jordan Howard in Chicago for 2 years

Melvin Gordon for 3 years in San Diego

Fournettes rookie year the Jax Oline wasn’t great.

Russell Wilson is always crying about having a bad oline but Chris Carson gets 1200 yards every year.

etc etc. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

None of the RBs you named are HOF’ers. Forte, SJax, and Charles are all good ball players but not HOF’ers. Charles might have the best case but his shortened career will always work against him. None of those guys are touching someone like Ladanian Tomlinson, who is a real Hall of Famer. Steven Jackson had 460 catches in 11 seasons, a guy like Brian Westbrook had 440 catches in 8 years, I’d hardly call sjax one of the best receiving backs of all time. Edgerrin James was better than SJax and he isn’t making the HOF.

Sad to say but almost everything you said is likely true. I wish all 3 of those backs would get in but they likely won’t. Specially Charles his efficiency is the best the NFL has ever seen and he won’t make the HOF. Sjax isn’t one of the best receiving backs of all time but he probably is the best power back that can catch ever. Idk any other RB that’s 6’2 240 with 460 catches maybe Bettis cuss he played 29 years? 

also I think Edge James is being inducted to the hall of fame this year?? But maybe I’m wrong.?

59 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

also, while CMC, Cookie Monster, and Quads Barkley are some of the best RBs on planet earth they are not THE best RB on the planet. That title belongs to King Henry.

The “real” godfather of pass catching backs is roger Craig man.. first to do 1000 and 1000. 

Lastly.. all hail king henry!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

The “real” godfather of pass catching backs is roger Craig man.. first to do 1000 and 1000. 

Lenny Moore was the "real" Goombah of the dual threat rb .... Chuck Foreman & Lydell Mitchell perfected it in the Super Bowl era, and were the true forerunners to Messrs. Craig, Faulk, LT2, etc

• Like 2

All three were hall of fame quality RBs in their prime. Well, maybe not Forte, but he was damned good. Charles might have been the best football player (not just RB) in the league for several years. He better make the HOF. Jackson caught 90 passes in one season, he was a great pass catcher. He was catching 40-50 a year. In that era, that was very good.

As for James Robinson, Carson, Gaskin, Drake, Sanders, etc. 

Seattle and Jacksonville had good run blocking last year by any metric. 10th and 11th in adjusted line yardage according to DVOA. So throw those two out. Philly and Miami were below average lines, but neither Gaskin or Sanders were amazing last year. If the point is that Harris can be a volume based RB2, then okay, agreed.

Drake was bad. He had an inflated TD total because teams have to commit multiple guys to sealing Kyler at the goal line, but he did not run the ball well. 

Edited by ajs723

• 3 weeks later...

This is a Breakdown of the Steelers collapse last year and why it happened. Early in the video it lists several reasons why before it focuses on its main reason (Big Bens quick throwing and simplicity in the offense) but also several other things that I think the addition of Najee and a new OC has already partially fixed.  

Maybe this video scares you off any Steelers players maybe the change in OC will give you hope. 

• Like 1

Just saw this blurb on the mains and while it may have a more direct bearing on Big Ben's 2021 FF prospects/value, I think it also portends to Harris' as well.

Steelers offensive coordinator Matt Canada said he anticipates "growing pains" with the team's new offensive linemen. 

The Steelers have had a complete turnover of their offensive line since the end of last season. They released David DeCastro, Ramon Foster and Maurkice Pouncey retired, Marcus Gilbert was traded, and Alejandro Villanueva became a Raven after Pittsburgh didn't re-sign him. The team will head into the 2021 season with a far younger, more inexperienced offensive line tasked to protect 39-year-old Ben Roethlisberger and open running lanes for rookie RB Najee Harris. “There will be some growing pains as we all know,” said Canada, entering his first year as OC. With Roethlisberger under constant duress, the Steelers were forced into a quick-pass offense through much of the 2020 season. The statuesque Roethlisberger -- whose throwing arm reportedly feels better than it did at any point in 2020 -- will need solid protection if he's going to deliver longer passes to Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and the rest of the team's pass catchers.

Source: The Athletic
Jul 21, 2021, 8:34 AM ET

I think its gonna be ok overall. I mean looking back conner and snell combined for 10 tds last year , even if najee get 7 to 8 and 1400 all purpose yards ...it'll be solid . But I think if things go right he's capable for more. I hold onto the face he doesn't need the line to hold blocks super long, he bursts down field once he sees the opportunity.  So I think his style of running will help the line in ways tbh 

8 hours ago, The G Man said:

Just saw this blurb on the mains and while it may have a more direct bearing on Big Ben's 2021 FF prospects/value, I think it also portends to Harris' as well.

Steelers offensive coordinator Matt Canada said he anticipates "growing pains" with the team's new offensive linemen. 

The Steelers have had a complete turnover of their offensive line since the end of last season. They released David DeCastro, Ramon Foster and Maurkice Pouncey retired, Marcus Gilbert was traded, and Alejandro Villanueva became a Raven after Pittsburgh didn't re-sign him. The team will head into the 2021 season with a far younger, more inexperienced offensive line tasked to protect 39-year-old Ben Roethlisberger and open running lanes for rookie RB Najee Harris. “There will be some growing pains as we all know,” said Canada, entering his first year as OC. With Roethlisberger under constant duress, the Steelers were forced into a quick-pass offense through much of the 2020 season. The statuesque Roethlisberger -- whose throwing arm reportedly feels better than it did at any point in 2020 -- will need solid protection if he's going to deliver longer passes to Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and the rest of the team's pass catchers.

Source: The Athletic
Jul 21, 2021, 8:34 AM ET

80 dumpoffs and screens to Najee would be fine by me….

I dont understand why people arent higher in Najee. He is basically Barkley 2.0(situation wise)… talented workhorse on a suspect offense.   I would take Najee in round 2 with 0 hesitation over Chubbs and Ajones right now in ppr. 

• Haha 1

People lost their minds when conner went down and they had chances to scoop up bums like benny snell or mcfartbox,  yet a beast like Harris they try to pretend he isn't going places lol its laughable 

Edited by Savatage79

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2021 at 5:08 PM, Savatage79 said:

Might want to adjust that adp. In half ppr rotoworld league Najee went 1.8 ahead of Nick Chubb. 

you feel like Harris will get to where Conner was by next year? I think Harris has #1 overall potential next year. He is way better than Conner.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

8 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Might want to adjust that adp. In half ppr rotoworld league Najee went 1.8 ahead of Nick Chubb. 

you feel like Harris will get to where Conner was by next year? I think Harris has #1 overall potential next year. He is way better than Conner.

Totally, he will be imo top 5. And I grabbed him In my first draft,  went Hill then Najee quickly after and I love it.  Harris is here to stay 

37 minutes ago, LuckDynasty said:

Would you guys draft him at 1.8 over guys like eckler, Aaron Jones , CEH,chubb(??), with his current ADP? My draft is end of next month, I’m imaging his ADP goes up a couple spots. If Chubb is gone, I think I’m all in

Your right once camp buzz starts flying around and beat reporters start saying he’s better than lev bell, Franco Harris, and Jerome bettis he’s gonna climb up the draft boards. I wouldn’t criticize anyone for taking him in front of chubb and eckler but I personally wouldn’t yet. 

Najee instead of Chubb?  Maybe, but maybe not.   In front of Eckler?  Probably.

But I agree that once camp and preseason starts, he'll jump up draft boards.  I'd really like to grab him in the 2nd, but my draft doesn't start until the end of preseason, so I expect his ADP to jump by then to about the end of the 1st - early 2nd round.