NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Najee Harris 2021 Outlook

55 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Your right once camp buzz starts flying around and beat reporters start saying he’s better than lev bell, Franco Harris, and Jerome bettis he’s gonna climb up the draft boards. I wouldn’t criticize anyone for taking him in front of chubb and eckler but I personally wouldn’t yet. 

I'd criticize them for taking him in front of Chubb. Chubb's season last year is what you'd hope Harris's ceiling would be this season. Why not just take the guy who's already done it who's arguably playing in a better offense behind a better offensive line with a better qb?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, yossarian said:

I'd criticize them for taking him in front of Chubb. Chubb's season last year is what you'd hope Harris's ceiling would be this season. Why not just take the guy who's already done it who's arguably playing in a better offense behind a better offensive line with a better qb?

Hey I’m right there with ya man. But if someone truly believes najee is as good as chubb is talent wise, Going to get more rushes and receptions, and less injury prone then I say shoot your shot and take him because he won’t make it back to you in the 2nd… I’d personally stick with the elite high floor play that is nick chubb. 

• Like 1

Dude is going to lay a stink and people will regret this. Its hard to imagine people are taking him in the second. His ethic and ability is second to none, but their oline sucks and big bens arm is a noodle. Their schedule isnt a cake walk either. The fact its been said people want this dude over chubb is completely absurd. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Dude is going to lay a stink and people will regret this. Its hard to imagine people are taking him in the second. His ethic and ability is second to none, but their oline sucks and big bens arm is a noodle. Their schedule isnt a cake walk either. The fact its been said people want this dude over chubb is completely absurd. 

Agree with ya for the most part. But if he has something like 300 rushes and 80 receptions (lev bell numbers) he’s going be awesome for fantasy. Idc how good the line is or how limp bens arm is… now if he will be better than chubb is another story. 

3 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Agree with ya for the most part. But if he has something like 300 rushes and 80 receptions (lev bell numbers) he’s going be awesome for fantasy. Idc how good the line is or how limp bens arm is… now if he will be better than chubb is another story. 

JRob put up great numbers (RB1ish?) with a worthless QB and horrible game scripts.  And Pitt is a better team.  Volume + pedigree equals king.  And he's got more projected volume than Chubb.  Fantasy malpractice to take Chubb first imo.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

I am the culprit who took najee at 1.08 over chubb, the projected workload is what got me in, im buying if i have a pick outside the top 4 

6 hours ago, Magoo said:

JRob put up great numbers (RB1ish?) with a worthless QB and horrible game scripts.  And Pitt is a better team.  Volume + pedigree equals king.  And he's got more projected volume than Chubb.  Fantasy malpractice to take Chubb first imo.

Perfect recent example. If najee gets lev bell like touches he’s going to be awesome. I’m still not confident enough to take him in front of chubb yet. But I’m sure once the camp hype comes around I’ll be jumping on board. 

Eh in fantasy there's just no certainties,  sure chubb has some time in already and I don't fault anyone picking chubb ahead of Najee but fantasy isn't always that cut and dry. Sure chubb has had play time but historically steelers are a better team so there's that , doesn't mean najee explodes but I think it puts najee in a bracket that there's great potential that due to volume as starter, goal line carries, and no kareem hunt caliber playing lurking around to steal any goal line carries or 3rd downs from najee , makes him a pretty sure bet to have a nice year. 

People put way to much stock in drafts. Fantasy is about taking chances and rolling the dice a little, imo winners of leagues know this because a few weeks into seasons teams can be decimated with injuries so your perfect draft is no longer perfect and you're hanging onto what's left and gotta work the wire etc..

Taking najee first round sure I probably wouldn't advise but in 2nd I think has a ton of potential and could really surprise people based on the volume and the fact that scoring isn't a major steeler issue

Edited by Savatage79

12 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Imo the only way najee busts is if obviously he gets hurt, or Ben gets hurt.  Volume is king and others play behind bad lines all the time, volume...is...king

Rewind 12 months ago, you could have said the same about CEH, no? This time last year, he looked like he'd have all the volume his shoulders could support... I get the appeal at face value, but the hype here is getting a little out of hand...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheDude4bides said:

Rewind 12 months ago, you could have said the same about CEH, no? This time last year, he looked like he'd have all the volume his shoulders could support... I get the appeal at face value, but the hype here is getting a little out of hand...

Reid didn't use him as much as he could've....even still though I don't think ceh had an awful year ultimately. 

Najee is in a different circumstance,  benny snell or any other fart burger in that roster isn't taking much away from najee, he will be the man of that backfield 

Edited by Savatage79

15 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Reid didn't use him as much as he could've....even still though I don't think ceh had an awful year ultimately. 

Najee is in a different circumstance,  benny snell or any other fart burger in that roster isn't taking much away from najee, he will be the man of that backfield 

They would also have to have the best qb in the league who prefers to throw it down field all the time and not sign leveon bell to have a run like ceh had

34 minutes ago, TheDude4bides said:

The difference between Najee and CEH is about 6 inches and 20lbs.

i like Clyde as much as anyone but he is a bit smaller for a RB and for those who watched KC last year found out a couple of things:

1. Andy Reid gave CEH some early red zone rushes and he got absolutely stuffed, this likely led to his reduced role in the red zone until much later in the season

B. It became clear as I watched last season that Andy was gonna let PM do his thing in the red zone at the expense of the RBs. Throwing TDs to Hill and Kelce, etc… instead of trying to use the RBs.

these are not issues that I see Najee facing in PITT. He is locked in as the bell cow back for Pitt, he should have no problem monopolizing and converting goal line and red zone opportunities along with a projected workload far superior to what CEH had last year.

• Thanks 2

I like Najee over chubb because he’s going to catch way more passes and potentially have more carries. Steelers O line will be better this year, and bens arm ain’t as bad as y’all make it seem. I’m not a fan of fantasypros, however one guy said something the other day that out of the last 62 running backs to get 300 touches, only 2 finished outside the top 12. Hes one of the few actually workhorses imo and one of the safest picks in the first round. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

I like Najee over chubb because he’s going to catch way more passes and potentially have more carries. Steelers O line will be better this year, and bens arm ain’t as bad as y’all make it seem. I’m not a fan of fantasypros, however one guy said something the other day that out of the last 62 running backs to get 300 touches, only 2 finished outside the top 12. Hes one of the few actually workhorses imo and one of the safest picks in the first round. 

I expect Big Ben to throw the ball 750 times this season, so it's going to get as much volume as the typical "workhorse". The line is not better. It was the worst in the league last year, and it might honestly be worse this year. It's an unabated disaster. 

If Najee succeeds as a fantasy back, it won't be because of situation, it will be solely due to talent (which he has in spades). 

Edited by ajs723
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Magoo said:

Chubb was RB4 overall per game last year. In PPR. 

Chubb >>>>> Harris. 

• Like 1

I looked back a bit and in 09 and 10 , steelers had the 24th ranked line and then was going into 10 with what many projected to be last in the league. Mendenhall first year was injury so nothing there, but his first true year in 09 he rushed over 1100 yards ,8 tds and caught  a few balls for 200ish yard .  In 10 he rushed for almost 1300 yards and snagged 13 tds, with last in league projected O Line.

So it's not always super cut and dry. Tomlin gets lit up in playoffs, but that man can run a regular season like nobodies business. I'm sure he's not going to walk out there and have a team that doesn't produce. 

Harris and Mendenhall aren't even in the same convo talent wise. The Steelers can move the ball, harris will be a part of that plenty and even more so at the goal line.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I expect Big Ben to throw the ball 750 times this season, so it's going to get as much volume as the typical "workhorse". The line is not better. It was the worst in the league last year, and it might honestly be worse this year. It's an unabated disaster. 

If Najee succeeds as a fantasy back, it won't be because of situation, it will be solely due to talent (which he has in spades). 

So after the Steelers spend a first round pick on a RB, you except Ben to throw 150 more times then he did last year? Also Pouncey, Decastro, Villy, and Feiler were absolutely terrible at run blocking last year. I expect a significant upgrade to the run game this year. Banner Dotson and green are maulers. Trai turner was a pro bowl guard before last year, and we also have some quality depth players like Finney and Haeg. I fully expect anywhere from 18-22 weekly carries from Najee, as well as significant work in the passing game out of the backfield. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

So after the Steelers spend a first round pick on a RB, you except Ben to throw 150 more times then he did last year? Also Pouncey, Decastro, Villy, and Feiler were absolutely terrible at run blocking last year. I expect a significant upgrade to the run game this year. Banner Dotson and green are maulers. Trai turner was a pro bowl guard before last year, and we also have some quality depth players like Finney and Haeg. I fully expect anywhere from 18-22 weekly carries from Najee, as well as significant work in the passing game out of the backfield. 

Yea exactly, people are forgetting how those guys like decastro couldn't block for ****...he was getting washed up. The line was ho hum for awhile now,  I actually like what they've been doing and can't wait to see it all come together 

38 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

OLine worse than last year and Big Ben will throw it 750 times?

Does. Not. Compute.

james Robinson, an undrafted rookie, last year rushed for over 1,000 yards with the worst Oline in the league…

6 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I'm just projecting out Ben's pace. He threw the ball 45 times per game over the final 10 games of last year. 750 divided by 17 is 44. So, maybe that's a little low, if anything. 

The line can't be worse than it was last year, but it's still going to be really bad in terms of run blocking. Guys like Banner and Dotson are not the saviors of the line. They're just guys. Turner is way past his prime. It might be slightly better than last year, but that's the lowest possible bar to clear. 

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

OLine worse than last year and Big Ben will throw it 750 times?

Does. Not. Compute.

james Robinson, an undrafted rookie, last year rushed for over 1,000 yards with the worst Oline in the league…

Why?! The line was horrible last year and Ben played at a 750 pass attempt rate for the final 10 games. When your line can't block to save its life, it makes perfect sense that you'd abandon the run. The line was actually respectable in terms of pass blocking, but garbage at run blocking. 

I think they'll be a little worse at pass blocking and a little better at run blocking this year, which means overall, they'll be bad at both. I don't think they'll ever stick to the run for long as long as Ben is the QB. 

Edited by ajs723
  • Haha 1

I just think it's funny how Jesus Barkley is coming off a torn acl and is behind the last ranked O line even worse than steelers projections , and hardly not a peep is made about those circumstances yet harris all anyone can do is fap off banking to his demise because of the line.