NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Najee Harris 2021 Outlook

10 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I just think it's funny how Jesus Barkley is coming off a torn acl and is behind the last ranked O line even worse than steelers projections , and hardly not a peep is made about those circumstances yet harris all anyone can do is fap off banking to his demise because of the line. 

Barkley is the arguably the best overall RB in the NFL. He's a transcendent player. Najee Harris is a good prospect who we've never seen play a snap in the NFL. Comparing Harris to Barkley is criminal. And the Giants' run blocking was still better than the Steelers'. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Barkley is the arguably the best overall RB in the NFL. He's a transcendent player. Najee Harris is a good prospect who we've never seen play a snap in the NFL. Comparing Harris to Barkley is criminal. And the Giants' run blocking was still better than the Steelers'. 

Lol dude I get it, I know barkley is a monster but that monster has been slain a few times now ...he's only 1 guy out there. He can't take on the whole team despite his immensely elite talent.

Sure best rb in the league, but there should still be pause with everything barkley is dealing with.

And I'm not comparing , I'm simply saying that is hypocritical to care care much about some players o line situation and others with alot more baggage.  

How many times does barkely need to get injured for a season or partial season until some say hmm maybe he isn't top 5 caliber year in and out?

Edited by Savatage79

1 minute ago, Savatage79 said:

Lol dude I get it, I know barkley is a monster but that monster has been slain a few times now ...he's only 1 guy out there. He can't take on the whole team despite his immensely elite talent.

Sure best rb in the league, but there should still be pause with everything barkley is dealing with.

That's fair. But this is the Najee thread, and comparing Najee to Barkley isn't reasonable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

I'm just projecting out Ben's pace. He threw the ball 45 times per game over the final 10 games of last year. 750 divided by 17 is 44. So, maybe that's a little low, if anything. 

The line can't be worse than it was last year, but it's still going to be really bad in terms of run blocking. Guys like Banner and Dotson are not the saviors of the line. They're just guys. Turner is way past his prime. It might be slightly better than last year, but that's the lowest possible bar to clear. 

Dotson was great last year. Our only good lineman. Turner is 28. Ben won’t throw the ball 750 times at 40 years old, no shot. The Steelers drafted a RB in the 1st over OL (I don’t agree with this btw) for a reason, cause they plan to run the ball and play defense. We can go back and forth all day about this O line and washed up QB, but at the end of the Najee is probably a lock to finish in the top 5 in offensive touches. 

I read this from PFF yesterday, which I thought was a great point (emphasis mine):

"In 2020, the top five PFF offensive lines in run-blocking grade produced four top-24 PPR RBs. The bottom five PFF offensive lines in run blocking grade… also produced four top-24 PPR RBs. It makes sense the latter group saw receiving-friendly backs like Austin Ekeler and Myles Gaskin overcome their rather putrid situations; RBs that catch passes join mobile QBs as the closest things our great game of fantasy football has to cheat codes."

The talent and opportunity are def why he's on my short list of RB targets.

Edited by trilly
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Dotson was great last year. Our only good lineman. Turner is 28. Ben won’t throw the ball 750 times at 40 years old, no shot. The Steelers drafted a RB in the 1st over OL (I don’t agree with this btw) for a reason, cause they plan to run the ball and play defense. We can go back and forth all day about this O line and washed up QB, but at the end of the Najee is probably a lock to finish in the top 5 in offensive touches. 

I'll take the under. 

And you're right about Dotson. He was the lone bright spot last year. My bad on that. 

8 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I'll take the under. 

And you're right about Dotson. He was the lone bright spot last year. My bad on that. 

All good lol, I don’t expect anyone to know much about Olineman that aren’t all pro’s or on their favorite team. I guess we’ll see with Najee. Guys like Chubb are certainly safer picks. I just prefer 3 down backs, in PPR those catches are oh so sweet. A different player, and basically a different offense, but Bell caught 45 (rookie)  83, 24 (hurt and only played 6 games) 75 (in 12 games) and 85. His 5 years there. The following year Conner caught 55 (in 12 games) so this is a team that certainly likes to throw the ball to running backs. 

2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Chubb was RB4 overall per game last year. In PPR. 

Chubb >>>>> Harris. 

This right here. If you take Harris before Chubb you're paying for his absolute top tippy top top pie-in-the-sky ceiling. The likelihood of you getting a good return on that investment is not high. I have no idea why you'd skip over a guy who's done it playing in a better offense for a guy who's never taken a snap in the league, regardless of how good you think the Steelers' 5th round rookie offensive linemen will be. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

Why?! The line was horrible last year and Ben played at a 750 pass attempt rate for the final 10 games. When your line can't block to save its life, it makes perfect sense that you'd abandon the run. The line was actually respectable in terms of pass blocking, but garbage at run blocking. 

I think they'll be a little worse at pass blocking and a little better at run blocking this year, which means overall, they'll be bad at both. I don't think they'll ever stick to the run for long as long as Ben is the QB. 

last year they had James Conner and Benny snell at RB, so I would have thrown a lot too.

Big Ben throwing so much in the last 10 games was part of the reason that they collapsed last year and lead directly to the drafting of Najee Harris.

you just admitted they will be worse at pass blocking and better at run blocking. Sounds like less passes and more runs if that is the case.

also if the OLine isn’t good at pass blocking the RB screens should be a high priority, also a benefit for a 3 down RB.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, yossarian said:

This right here. If you take Harris before Chubb you're paying for his absolute top tippy top top pie-in-the-sky ceiling. The likelihood of you getting a good return on that investment is not high. I have no idea why you'd skip over a guy who's done it playing in a better offense for a guy who's never taken a snap in the league, regardless of how good you think the Steelers' 5th round rookie offensive linemen will be. 

volume is king.

Chubb shares with Hunt.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, yossarian said:

Chubb just doesn’t have the ceiling imo. He’s a very safe pick. You’re getting 15-20 carries and some red zone work. The top dog RB’s every year catch 50+ passes, or are Derrick Henry and run for 2000 yards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

That's fair. But this is the Najee thread, and comparing Najee to Barkley isn't reasonable. 

Wow talk about silly semantics,  the point is if we're going to dissect players based on their o lines then people shouldn't look past every other player as Imo anything that's ranked 20+ o line is not what I'd consider a great line situation 

5 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Wow talk about silly semantics,  the point is if we're going to dissect players based on their o lines then people shouldn't look past every other player as Imo anything that's ranked 20+ o line is not what I'd consider a great line situation 

Barkley has already done it with elite results behind a s---y line. Najee has yet to prove capable. He may, he may not. That's the gamble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDude4bides said:

Barkley has already done it with elite results behind a s---y line. Najee has yet to prove capable. He may, he may not. That's the gamble.

He's never done it coming off a torn acl.

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

last year they had James Conner and Benny snell at RB, so I would have thrown a lot too.

Big Ben throwing so much in the last 10 games was part of the reason that they collapsed last year and lead directly to the drafting of Najee Harris.

Big Ben has actually had a 600 pass attempts pace every year going back to 2014 Except 2015 that was a 581 attempt pace. That was with some really good running lines and lev bell. 

Big Ben thinks he is the leader of the team, He knows the team won’t bench him. If he wants to pass it he will. With 17 games it wouldn’t surprise me if he passed for 700 times he was at 606 with only 15 games last year. And as you said… sooooo many check downs to our guy najee. 

If Big Ben passed that many times in the past and lev bell got 400 touches I don’t see why najee can’t get 350+.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Practice so take it with a grain of salt, but huge hole and a strong run by Najee. They’ve been talking all day about the rookie center dominating. 

Yea it'll be hilarious to revisit this thread whenever najee is feasting 

8 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Practice so take it with a grain of salt, but huge hole and a strong run by Najee. They’ve been talking all day about the rookie center dominating. 

So we can expect big holes all year, im putting my hotdog in that can and drafting 1st round all day long

12 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

I have him a peg ahead of chubb and saquon, one is in a timeshare with an elite rushing king, other is coming off major injury, gove me the workload all day long

The Steelers were 30th in rushing attempts last year, and I believe 32nd in RB rushing attempts. 

Good luck with that workload.