NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Najee Harris 2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

The Steelers were 30th in rushing attempts last year, and I believe 32nd in RB rushing attempts. 

Good luck with that workload. 

And who did they have at RB last year?  James the plodder Conner ?  If Najee is a good back, they'll give him the ball a bit more than they did to Conner.   Even if they are among the last in rushing attempts, Najee will make up for it with catches and TDs

Edited by nk2333

1 hour ago, nk2333 said:

And who did they have at RB last year?  James the plodder Conner ?  If Najee is a good back, they'll give him the ball a bit more than they did to Conner.   Even if they are among the last in rushing attempts, Najee will make up for it with catches and TDs

Receptions will be key to his viability. The Steelers didn't really target RBs much last year, but we'll see if they do so more this year. It's certainly possible. 

1 hour ago, nk2333 said:

Exactly...here's what is interesting, so conner early In the year when somewhat healthy from weeks 2-7 , he was not doing to bad ...he was having a standard year with 3 games over 100 yds, 4 tds ...but what really happened from memory is he didn't get hurt enough to not play but look at his carries from week 8, he only had 15 and then after that he had 2 games at 13 carries and then the rest was 9, 5, 9 and 11 carries .

That is a monstrous drop off and from memory it was because Conner is just unreliable, he's not a reliable back. Great kid , good talent when he's going but he's not reliable. 

During the second half of the season he was there but Steelers were probably thinking we literally got nothing going on in this backfield.  Conner was hampered by something constantly, otherwise if he could've stayed healthy he would've had 15-20+ carries all season long. His earlier production was solid ,but that drop off was what killed Conner and our run game. And then Snell and the other jokers are bums.

That to me is clear cut why they just went into pass mode nonstop, the balance was gone, Conner while I love his story was getting less and less reliable so there was virtually no run game 

5 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Exactly...here's what is interesting, so conner early In the year when somewhat healthy from weeks 2-7 , he was not doing to bad ...he was having a standard year with 3 games over 100 yds, 4 tds ...but what really happened from memory is he didn't get hurt enough to not play but look at his carries from week 8, he only had 15 and then after that he had 2 games at 13 carries and then the rest was 9, 5, 9 and 11 carries .

That is a monstrous drop off and from memory it was because Conner is just unreliable, he's not a reliable back. Great kid , good talent when he's going but he's not reliable. 

During the second half of the season he was there but Steelers were probably thinking we literally got nothing going on in this backfield.  Conner was hampered by something constantly, otherwise if he could've stayed healthy he would've had 15-20+ carries all season long. His earlier production was solid ,but that drop off was what killed Conner and our run game. And then Snell and the other jokers are bums.

That to me is clear cut why they just went into pass mode nonstop, the balance was gone, Conner while I love his story was getting less and less reliable so there was virtually no run game 

Conner missed two games due to Covid. He wasn't hurt. Nor did he become less effective. They simply stopped running the ball. 

The question is whether we will see anything resembling a balanced attack from the Steelers. I'm clearly on the record as a no.

4 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

The question is whether we will see anything resembling a balanced attack from the Steelers. I'm clearly on the record as a no.

I'm really curious as to why you think this...it's clear their offense was broken down the stretch, they fired their OC, and spent a lot of draft capital on an RB when they have many other needs. To me, it reads like a neon sign that they will be changing their offensive approach this season.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Conner missed two games due to Covid. He wasn't hurt. Nor did he become less effective. They simply stopped running the ball. 

He was 100 % not himself. He hurt his ankle in the first game and went out. Sure he was back and had a few decent games but who knows how much it lingered for him, plus covid. He was not himself in second half of the year, Steelers don't just typically abandon the run to that extent ...conner is and always will be one of those guys where sure he plays but has something that's got him dinged up.

Since bell left the Steelers haven’t had 400 rushing attempts in a season. Even the year Big Ben was hurt and people thought they would lean on the run game. Last year they averaged 23 rush attempts a game.

Matt Canada seems to be a run first OC going back to his OC days in college

2018 Maryland - 40 rush attempts a game 

2017 LSU - 43 rush attempts 

2016 pitt - 41 rush attempts 

2015 nc state - 41 attempts 

2014 nc state - 39 attempts 

2013 nc state - 43 attempts 

2012 Wisconsin - 45 attempts 

2011 NIU - 42 attempts 

2010 Indiana - 29 attempts 

2009 Indiana - 30 attempts 

2008 Indiana - 37 attempts 

2007 Indiana - 36 attempts 

I think it’s safe to say he wants to run the ball.. we’ll see if Big Ben let’s that happen 

29 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

He was 100 % not himself. He hurt his ankle in the first game and went out. Sure he was back and had a few decent games but who knows how much it lingered for him, plus covid. He was not himself in second half of the year, Steelers don't just typically abandon the run to that extent ...conner is and always will be one of those guys where sure he plays but has something that's got him dinged up.

This 100% didn't happen. He got benched for yelling at Tomlin. There was never an injury. 

I don't want this to turn into a Conner discussion. Conner was serviceable, at worst, all season and they simply gave up on even trying to run the ball. 

10 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

I think it’s safe to say he wants to run the ball.. we’ll see if Big Ben let’s that happen 

That's the question. Ben wants to go five wide 75% of the time and throw the ball 50 times per game. Who is Canada more likely to want to keep happy, his HOF QB, or a rookie RB?

37 minutes ago, trilly said:

I'm really curious as to why you think this...it's clear their offense was broken down the stretch, they fired their OC, and spent a lot of draft capital on an RB when they have many other needs. To me, it reads like a neon sign that they will be changing their offensive approach this season.

Because Ben is the OC of the team. Canada's job is to make sure Ben is happy. Period. Ben will want to run the same stupid offense they ran the majority of last season. He's got Juju, Claypool, Diontae, Washington... He wants to throw until his arm falls off. I'll believe the offense will look like anything other than that when I see it. 

11 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

This 100% didn't happen. He got benched for yelling at Tomlin. There was never an injury. 

I don't want this to turn into a Conner discussion. Conner was serviceable, at worst, all season and they simply gave up on even trying to run the ball. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

This was discussed to death last year. Beat writers said there was never an actual injury announcement and Conner was benched immediately after shouting at Tomlin. Not interested in starting that conversation up again. Regardless, he was clearly healthy in the following weeks. 

7 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

This was discussed to death last year. Beat writers said there was never an actual injury announcement and Conner was benched immediately after shouting at Tomlin. Not interested in starting that conversation up again. Regardless, he was clearly healthy in the following weeks. 

Well I guess i don't rememeber as I was having to much fun in 2020. Why can't I find an article on it ?

28 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

That's the question. Ben wants to go five wide 75% of the time and throw the ball 50 times per game. Who is Canada more likely to want to keep happy, his HOF QB, or a rookie RB?

I think it’s more about making the team happy vs making a HOF QB happy.

If they run it 45 times a game and they win the team won’t care if Ben is happy. If they pass it 50 times and lose they won’t care that Big Ben is happy. 

It boils down to this....steelers typically run, sure Ben has games where for whatever reason just nonstop passing but when we have had competent RBs, even going back to guys like Willie Parker etc...he'd get 2 to 300 carries. 

Last year to me, absolute outlier...that isn't typical. Conner no matter how much ya like him, he wasn't our man. The overall gist of conner is he had a great first year but typically was banged up ever since he was done his first year. 

The offense broke down, the backs were just whatever,  the oc coach got fired, if anyone thinks that is typical for steelers it isn't.

We might always get beat up in playoffs lately but Tomlin is your reg season coach that gets things done, they wouldn't invest in harris if they didn't want that stud workhorse to be the foundation of this offense in years to come.  It doesn't mean im not ready for some other big changes but Harris to me is going to be the catalyst to some great offenses as seasons come and go.

I think folks are gonna be bugged if they passed on chances to have Harris this year.

Edited by Savatage79

6 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

I think it’s more about making the team happy vs making a HOF QB happy.

If they run it 45 times a game and they win the team won’t care if Ben is happy. If they pass it 50 times and lose they won’t care that Big Ben is happy. 

This. Don't forget that Ben took a pay cut to come back and play one more year. I don't think they have much interest in catering to him now (I know Canada has been deferential but what else is he gonna say?) outside of giving it one more run with him as QB. Their focus is going to be on winning, and 1st round capital on Najee means he's gonna have a lot of touches is my interpretation. If they wanted to rebuild for the long run, they would've addressed QB or the offensive line. 

15 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Well I guess i don't rememeber as I was having to much fun in 2020. Why can't I find an article on it ?

There were tweets during that Monday night football game from the beat reporters saying that Conner never so much as got looked at by a trainer. There was literally zero indication of an injury at the time. Conner got benched. After the fact, Tomlin said he had a sore ankle and would be fine. Believe what you want. 

10 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

There were tweets during that Monday night football game from the beat reporters saying that Conner never so much as got looked at by a trainer. There was literally zero indication of an injury at the time. Conner got benched. After the fact, Tomlin said he had a sore ankle and would be fine. Believe what you want. 

Either way, Conner was not our man long term and not reliable when the team needed him the most ultimately 

This thread is going nowhere quickly. If they use Najee anything like bell he’s going to finish top 5. Even when bell wasn’t getting 20 carries he was heavily used in the passing game and NEVER came off the field. If they revert to what they did last year he’s going to be a bust. It’s really that simple. The kid is Uber talented, a complete back ready to dominate from week 1. There are 0 questions about the talent. 

16 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Im worried about the backups siphoning carries

Nah, maybe if harris gets dinged up or needs a breather...they might do some gadget stuff with the other backs or have a few plays but Harris will be the bellcow easily. 

Honestly I think people are really worrying way to much, this dude is gonna be one of the safest picks barring injury, for years to come. 

1 hour ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Im worried about the backups siphoning carries

I have a lot of concerns about Najee, but this isn't really one of them. Snell, Ballage, and McFarland will get some scraps, but that's it. Those guys are all bums.

Ballage might get a chunk of 3rd down work, which I suppose would be a problem.

4 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

It boils down to this....steelers typically run, sure Ben has games where for whatever reason just nonstop passing but when we have had competent RBs, even going back to guys like Willie Parker etc...he'd get 2 to 300 carries. 

Last year to me, absolute outlier...that isn't typical. 

I like najee and I’m on your side but the Ben has been on a 600 pass attempt season long pace since 2014 and they haven’t had 400 rushing attempts in a season since 2017 so it’s been more than a 1 year outlier. Hopefully it was an OC problem that will be corrected as I pointed out earlier Canada wants to run it 40 times a game as he did as the OC on all his college teams