NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Najee Harris 2021 Outlook

1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

I like najee and I’m on your side but the Ben has been on a 600 pass attempt season long pace since 2014 and they haven’t had 400 rushing attempts in a season since 2017 so it’s been more than a 1 year outlier. Hopefully it was an OC problem that will be corrected as I pointed out earlier Canada wants to run it 40 times a game as he did as the OC on all his college teams 

It's not all about that tho, we get plenty of rz and opportunities which means sure if ben throws during drives but najee gets most of all the goal line carries it all adds up and can make for a great player. 

When conner was on he was good, harris will be even better 

32 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Big ben can rush, snell was about to run away with the job, ballage showed hes elite, where theres smoke, theres fire, i see a 55/55 split

Sarcasm noted 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Honestly I think people are really worrying way to much, this dude is gonna be one of the safest picks barring injury, for years to come. 

while i agree that najee and his 300+ touches are a safe bet...

aren't you the same Savatage79 who posted these three worrisome comments just before the NFL draft?

• "Ben is on his last legs, juju is running a circus somewhere, Claypool is filming it, dionte is benched , Washington is Mr irrelevant,  Ebron is hurt im sure, snell and Mcfartland couldn't even make a rb1 combined, like where is the fantasy fun here?"
  • "I just see everyone else win or lose, still muster up some great fantasy players and here we are ...a QB that is hof but it's over man, it's just over. But oh wait let's get a bum like Rudolph or haskins in there, that'll take us the distance!!!"
  • "Just sucks"

amazing how one player can turn a team around (!) (?), or at least turn hopes around. 

tenor.gif

41 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

aren't you the same Savatage79 who posted these three worrisome comments just before the NFL draft?

• "Ben is on his last legs, juju is running a circus somewhere, Claypool is filming it, dionte is benched , Washington is Mr irrelevant,  Ebron is hurt im sure, snell and Mcfartland couldn't even make a rb1 combined, like where is the fantasy fun here?"
  • "I just see everyone else win or lose, still muster up some great fantasy players and here we are ...a QB that is hof but it's over man, it's just over. But oh wait let's get a bum like Rudolph or haskins in there, that'll take us the distance!!!"
  • "Just sucks"

amazing how one player can turn a team around (!) (?), or at least turn hopes around. 

tenor.gif

Of course, going into the draft I was annoyed with how our team ended last year.  I'm not in love with out WRs still because two are not football focused , juju is a clown and Claypool is following in his foosteps. 

I wanted harris in the worst way. Because I feel its a spark that this team needs, and the buzz about him is exactly what I've been loving. 

I don't like that we don't have a QB behind Ben that is a legit to take the torch, but I was being fairly facetious in my tone....still yea there's a ton I'm not loving, but having harris , grabbing pat freiermuth,  and a few other moves got me looking forward to it all. If we didn't get harris I'd be down big time 

53 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

• "Just sucks"

tenor.gif

lol, funny post.

I think he was complaining about his team as a fan.

from a fantasy perspective I don’t care if the team is terrible but only if they can support fantasy stats for Najee and to that end the optimism is through the roof for a 3 down RB.

• Like 2

Yea exactly lol that was more of a fan perspective and frustrations after having seasons end so catastrophically.  But having a stud fantasy player is what gets me pumped, I was so proud during the years when we had AB and Bell in top 6 fantasy picks pretty much, top 5 etc....those were good times. Getting a beast like Harris lights the fire.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

• "Just sucks"

tenor.gif

Find me a Steelers fan that wasn’t complaining about the team after getting bounced first round by the browns. 

• Haha 2

Heard an excellent stat for most of us najee believers. 

In the last 5 years 31 RBs have gotten 300 touches in a season. 60% of those RBs have finished as a top 5 RB. 2021 will have 17 games so I think the barrier should be moved up to about 320 touches. I think only a handful of RBs are in the running for that kinda workload and najee is definitely one of them 

• Like 1

From reddit,

Decent points imo

I'm a different guy, but to present a case against Harris: the Steelers have long been a pass-first offense, including being a bottom 5 offense in rush attempts last year, the second lowest in rush attempts in 2018, and never higher than 15th in rush attempts over the last decade. All this in spite of frequently being one of the highest volume offenses in terms of total offensive plays, with Ben having a 16-game average over 600 pass attempts for the decade.

Passing is what they want to do, through and through, year after year. Add to that that the Steelers had one of the worst offensive lines last year, and on paper it looks even worse this year.

So if Najee is going to finish top 5 at the position, he's gonna have to have a huge year as a receiver. With the great receiving corps the Steelers have, I don't think they'll be looking to manufacture touches for Harris in the passing game.

Now, maybe the bad offensive line leads to a good volume of little dumpoffs, that's really what I see as the one big chance Harris has at being an elite fantasy option.

Or maybe the Steelers offense looks like last year, when Conner, Snell, McFarland, and Samuels all combined for 60 receptions, 376 yards, and 0 receiving TDs. Even if you consolidate all of that production into one guy, it's worth very little in standard scoring.

The Steelers will need to run a very different offense in 2021 for Najee to be remotely worth a 1st round pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nmartinez12443 said:

From reddit,

Decent points imo

I'm a different guy, but to present a case against Harris: the Steelers have long been a pass-first offense, including being a bottom 5 offense in rush attempts last year, the second lowest in rush attempts in 2018, and never higher than 15th in rush attempts over the last decade. All this in spite of frequently being one of the highest volume offenses in terms of total offensive plays, with Ben having a 16-game average over 600 pass attempts for the decade.

Passing is what they want to do, through and through, year after year. Add to that that the Steelers had one of the worst offensive lines last year, and on paper it looks even worse this year.

So if Najee is going to finish top 5 at the position, he's gonna have to have a huge year as a receiver. With the great receiving corps the Steelers have, I don't think they'll be looking to manufacture touches for Harris in the passing game.

Now, maybe the bad offensive line leads to a good volume of little dumpoffs, that's really what I see as the one big chance Harris has at being an elite fantasy option.

Or maybe the Steelers offense looks like last year, when Conner, Snell, McFarland, and Samuels all combined for 60 receptions, 376 yards, and 0 receiving TDs. Even if you consolidate all of that production into one guy, it's worth very little in standard scoring.

The Steelers will need to run a very different offense in 2021 for Najee to be remotely worth a 1st round pick.

I promise I am not the redditor who posted that, but I very well could have been. Great post. 

1 hour ago, nmartinez12443 said:

From reddit,

Decent points imo

The points make sense and are noted, but a good RB can change all of that.

2 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

From reddit,

Decent points imo

They have a new OC, for what it’s worth. 

3 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

From reddit,

Decent points imo

Also if you’re going to point out the lack of rushing attempts, you need to look at the passing volume to running backs over that time. Bell was catching 70+ passes when healthy. Connor caught 55 in like 12 games his first year taking over from bell. Last year Connor was ineffective and the other guys were jags. For fantasy purposes, I prefer the high passing volume to my running back. Is Najee as good as Le’veon bell? That’s to be determined. Is he better then Connor, snell, McFarland, and Samuels? That goes without saying. There’s a very solid chance Najee gets 250+ carries and catches over 50 passes this year (roughly 3-4 catches per game) 

When we had Bell he could get 240+ carries. Harris is the best back we've had since Bell, he will make his mark. They've been showing his hands skills lately so he will be involved in the passing game.

Lol the dissection of this dude is monumental. How can anyone think think Najee is not going to he a pivotal part of this offense?

• Like 1

Guess we'll all get our first glimpse of the first round star rookie RB on Thursday. Man, football is (almost) back. Woot!

The Steelers indicated on Tuesday that they plan to play first-round rookie RB Najee Harris in all four preseason games.

"He's a rookie," coach Mike Tomlin began. "Man, he needs the process of game preparation and [to] ultimately play. We’ve got four opportunities for him to do that." Harris is the gem of Pittsburgh's rookie class and a second-round fantasy pick after the team spent a first-rounder on him in April. Barring injury, this doesn't have much impact on his fantasy outlook. The Steelers open the 2021 preseason in the Hall of Fame Game on Thursday.

Aug 3, 2021, 3:15 PM ET
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Guess we'll all get our first glimpse of the first round star rookie RB on Thursday. Man, football is (almost) back. Woot!

The Steelers indicated on Tuesday that they plan to play first-round rookie RB Najee Harris in all four preseason games.

"He's a rookie," coach Mike Tomlin began. "Man, he needs the process of game preparation and [to] ultimately play. We’ve got four opportunities for him to do that." Harris is the gem of Pittsburgh's rookie class and a second-round fantasy pick after the team spent a first-rounder on him in April. Barring injury, this doesn't have much impact on his fantasy outlook. The Steelers open the 2021 preseason in the Hall of Fame Game on Thursday.

Aug 3, 2021, 3:15 PM ET

Incoming overreactions to Najee running through the Cowboys practice squad defense. This thread is going to blow up! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Incoming overreactions to Najee running through the Cowboys practice squad defense. This thread is going to blow up! 

I’d actually prefer he do next to nothing during the preseason so his ADP stays depressed. I’ll be annoyed if he goes off and starts going first round. 

12 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I’d actually prefer he do next to nothing during the preseason so his ADP stays depressed. I’ll be annoyed if he goes off and starts going first round. 

I'd be incredibly alarmed if he doesn't go ballistic on Thursday. He's going to be facing non-NFL caliber competition. 

1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

I'd be incredibly alarmed if he doesn't go ballistic on Thursday. He's going to be facing non-NFL caliber competition. 

Will he get enough carries to really go off? Probably, but I can't see the Steelers really forcing the situation in a meaningless preseason opener.

Just now, timexsocialclub said:

Will he get enough carries to really go off? Probably, but I can't see the Steelers really forcing the situation in a meaningless preseason opener.

Fair. If he only plays a series or two and has 6 touches, it's meaningless. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in for a quarter or so, at which point he needs to show he's on another level.