NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

K197040's Dog 2021 Outlook

I don't know enough about Najee Harris to comment, at a quick glance, I'm significant higher on him that the general public.  It's early for me, but I'm currently looking at a ranking of RB12, top of

Posted Images

So where are you guys feeling you'd pull the trigger on Harris ?  I'm alot more optimistic now that we solidified some decent line help.

Dickerson would've been nice,  I think Muth was a bit of a luxury pick but I totally see what they're going for and I dont dislike it, added some decent blocking as well.

Either way, curious where you guys see Harris in drafts falling 

1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

So where are you guys feeling you'd pull the trigger on Harris ?  I'm alot more optimistic now that we solidified some decent line help.

Dickerson would've been nice,  I think Muth was a bit of a luxury pick but I totally see what they're going for and I dont dislike it, added some decent blocking as well.

I’m taking him 2nd round to pair with Henry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm not going to own him anywhere. I don't think the price I'll have to pay to get him in redraft will be worth it. I know they took some day 2 and 3 OLinemen but I'm not so sure that's going to be enough. I could see this being the season the wheels finally fall all the way off for Pitt and we're heading into week 10 with a bunch of "the Steelers are starting a 3rd round rookie at tackle and a bunch of guys off the street all along their line and Mason Rudolph for the 4th week in a row since Big Ben went down with another injury and look like crap" stories. 

10 minutes ago, yossarian said:

I'm not going to own him anywhere. I don't think the price I'll have to pay to get him in redraft will be worth it. I know they took some day 2 and 3 OLinemen but I'm not so sure that's going to be enough. I could see this being the season the wheels finally fall all the way off for Pitt and we're heading into week 10 with a bunch of "the Steelers are starting a 3rd round rookie at tackle and a bunch of guys off the street all along their line and Mason Rudolph for the 4th week in a row since Big Ben went down with another injury and look like crap" stories. 

That scenario could happen literally for any team if unlucky injuries hit hard

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Most likely Late First Round but could easily see middle First Round too depending on how things unfold this offseason. Tomlin has historically liked to give his backs a workhorse load. (even the mediocre Conner) And with their renewed emphasis on the run game they’re going to feed this kid. Their super bowl aspirations depend on it in all honesty.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, yossarian said:

I'm not going to own him anywhere.

Translation: “I’m going to be at a significant disadvantage going into the 2021 fantasy football season.”

Edited by Cheppy
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Well this thread is guaranteed to be a **** fest now isn’t it?

• Haha 1

I haven't been a Steelers fan or a James Conner/Benny Snell/whatever the f happened here last season person...can someone explain to me what happened to Pittsburgh's running game?

It seems like this is a great defense, good line, the type of passing game that should command attention basically a team built for you to just slide any old RB into and have a great season, but they were horrendous at it.

Are teams just not worried about Roethlisberger because of the elbow now?  Are they actually really bad at run blocking?  Was Conner just garbage?  

37 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I haven't been a Steelers fan or a James Conner/Benny Snell/whatever the f happened here last season person...can someone explain to me what happened to Pittsburgh's running game?

It seems like this is a great defense, good line, the type of passing game that should command attention basically a team built for you to just slide any old RB into and have a great season, but they were horrendous at it.

Are teams just not worried about Roethlisberger because of the elbow now?  Are they actually really bad at run blocking?  Was Conner just garbage?  

More than anything they simply just became a one dimensional offense and relied way, way too much on the pass game. (particularly the short passing game) Ben routinely would be in the high 40’s for attempts a game. Even when they were in the middle of their early season run I knew it was a house of cards that wasn’t sustainable if they didn’t establish the run. And as the season wore on and teams got some tape on them defenses realized all they really had to defend was the short passing game. And as we saw the results were disastrous.

Their lack of commitment to the run was never more on full display than when they were in 3rd and short situations. They would always be in a shotgun formation in said situations and it was always infuriating. 

I think they know that if they don’t establish the run this season they don’t really stand a chance at a 7th Lombardi Trophy. Drafting Harris, having Dotson start at left guard and hopefully a healthy David Decastro at right guard should go along way in achieving that goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

With all the receivers spread across the league now, you definitely could all Bama team.  Thinking you could pull this off from 3 overall or so:, but you'll need a little luck. Cooper's gotta slide, and you need Irv Smith to break out a bit so you're not weak at TE.  

Tua, Mac 

Henry, Najee, Drake, Damien,

Ridley, Cooper, Jeudy, Waddle, Ruggs

Irv

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, BrianM said:

With all the receivers spread across the league now, you definitely could all Bama team.  Thinking you could pull this off from 3 overall or so:, but you'll need a little luck. Cooper's gotta slide, and you need Irv Smith to break out a bit so you're not weak at TE.  

Tua, Mac 

Henry, Najee, Drake, Jacobs, Damien

Ridley, Julio, Cooper, Jeudy, Waddle, Smith, Ruggs

Irv, OJ Howard

FIFY

11 hours ago, Cheppy said:

Translation: “I’m going to be at a significant disadvantage going into the 2021 fantasy football season.”

By all means please pay a premium to get a rookie RB on a team coming off a season where they had the worst run blocking line in the league (the culmination of a steady decline the previous few seasons of said run blocking unit), no commitment to running the ball, and an aging, big-bodied QB with pretty much no quality at backup. What could possibly go wrong?

A lot of very specific things are going to have to go right for him to return value on the price you're going to have to pay to get him in a redraft league. I think the odds of all those things happening are low. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, yossarian said:

By all means please pay a premium to get a rookie RB on a team coming off a season where they had the worst run blocking line in the league (the culmination of a steady decline the previous few seasons of said run blocking unit), no commitment to running the ball, and an aging, big-bodied QB with pretty much no quality at backup. What could possibly go wrong?

A lot of very specific things are going to have to go right for him to return value on the price you're going to have to pay to get him in a redraft league. I think the odds of all those things happening are low. 

Especially since the PIT OL has gotten worse every year since Munchak left, and they were horrible before he got there. No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Especially since the PIT OL has gotten worse every year since Munchak left, and they were horrible before he got there. No thanks.

I don’t get why PIT is automatically viewed as some great destination for a RB because Bell was dominant as well as all his replacements.

With Big Ben being a 5,000 yard capable QB, a top 1-3 line, and elite weapons of course the RB was going to kill it. Now Big Ben is one of the worst QBs in the league, their run blocking is awful, and they don’t have anyone near Browns level as a weapon.

It’s not like a Steelers jersey automatically makes you an RB1 nor is Tomlin some run game genius like Shanny. They couldn’t even scrape together a 1,000 yard rusher before Bell for quite some time.

Rookie RBs are always a risk. There’s really two things that make it really worthwhile to draft them high. The first is eye popping talent which results in a top 5 or so pick and the second is going to an extremely good RB situation. Harris has neither.

Also, it’s not like I’d avoid him or anything just damn sure not drafting him in the 2nd-3rd round. 

• Like 4
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I don’t get why PIT is automatically viewed as some great destination for a RB because Bell was dominant as well as all his replacements.

With Big Ben being a 5,000 yard capable QB, a top 1-3 line, and elite weapons of course the RB was going to kill it. Now Big Ben is one of the worst QBs in the league, their run blocking is awful, and they don’t have anyone near Browns level as a weapon.

It’s not like a Steelers jersey automatically makes you an RB1 nor is Tomlin some run game genius like Shanny. They couldn’t even scrape together a 1,000 yard rusher before Bell for quite some time.

Rookie RBs are always a risk. There’s really two things that make it really worthwhile to draft them high. The first is eye popping talent which results in a top 5 or so pick and the second is going to an extremely good RB situation. Harris has neither.

Also, it’s not like I’d avoid him or anything just damn sure not drafting him in the 2nd-3rd round. 

See after really analyzing some stats I don't know if I can fully blame Ben, like for instance Rodgers had a 70% completion rate last year, Ben was at 65% which isn't amazing...and Rodgers had many more TDs but I don't think it can be a fair comparison when you look at what Rodgers is working with. Adam's and Jones really brings a lot, Ben threw 33 tds with imo not even half the weapons Rodgers has.  

When there is no legit run game , I really think it's going to just kill ya . But 33 tds with the worst run game in the league isn't bad. 

I think a 2nd or 3rd for najee isn't that far out of the equation,  hes definitely more gifted than a guy like Conner. But he's also lost likely going to be a 3 down back. 

Even with the garbage run game we've had lately, when Conner was healthy which was hardly ever , he was very productive at times. 

I think steelers when they want to commit to fixing elements of this team , will get it done.  

I'm ready to move on from Ben But I still feel the dynamics of no backfield threat, magnified the problems and made him look worse. Those defenses literally had not a thing to worry about backfield, so it was all on Ben to throw nonstop and Ds knew It was coming.  Plus our WRs I feel need a complimentary back to boost their game, they're good but not great, but can be alot better with a true threat in that run game to draw some looks. 

That's my 2 cents 

Edited by Savatage79
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

I stated my case. Guard play, pedigree of Harris and workload being the most important aspects. Also their receiver Corp is definitely one of the better units in the league so they have no shortage of weapons. (it’d be nice if Johnson played a full season though)

We’ll have to revisit these posts mid season. 

Edited by Cheppy
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

See after really analyzing some stats I don't know if I can fully blame Ben, like for instance Rodgers had a 70% completion rate last year, Ben was at 65% which isn't amazing...and Rodgers had many more TDs but I don't think it can be a fair comparison when you look at what Rodgers is working with. Adam's and Jones really brings a lot, Ben threw 33 tds with imo not even half the weapons Rodgers has.  

Common man... You being a Steelers fan should know that completion percentage is BS.

He was 29th in the NFL in yards per attempt with that 65% completion percentage behind guys like Lock, Minshew, and Trubisky. Not only that but 65% isn’t even that impressive it was 20th in the league. He couldn’t even crack the top half in completion percentage throwing bubble screens and 5 yard slants all game. 

Edited by Gohawks

i don't think anybody considers Tomlin to be a running game savant ala Shanny ... matter of fact, i'd be shocked if that post turtle even knows how to call plays. 

in my post i said the Ben factor and the o-line woes are baked in caveats to snagging this chap in magick foosball drafts ... and that the ONE thing Moosh Mouf Mike (aka "Teflon Tomlin", aka "Marble Mouth Mike") does well is ride a TALENTED cat damn near into the sod. 

how anyone construes that as him being a RB whisperer is beyond my grasp 🤔

he just mumbles to the OC  "uhhh ... we ... uhhh ... have the ... uhh ... uhhh ... uhhh ... talented ... uhhhhhhh ... young .... uhhhh ... uhhhhhhh .... MAN ... uhhh ... so .... uhhhhhh .... let's uhhhh ... uhhhhhh ... use ..... uhhhhh ... the .... uhhhh ... young .... uhhhhhhhh .... man ... uhhhh ... a ton .... uhhh .... yeah"

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i don't think anybody considers Tomlin to be a running game savant ala Shanny ... matter of fact, i'd be shocked if that post turtle even knows how to call plays. 

in my post i said the Ben factor and the o-line woes are baked in caveats to snagging this chap in magick foosball drafts ... and that the ONE thing Moosh Mouf Mike (aka "Teflon Tomlin", aka "Marble Mouth Mike") does well is ride a TALENTED cat damn near into the sod. 

how anyone construes that as him being a RB whisperer is beyond my grasp 🤔

he just mumbles to the OC  "uhhh ... we ... uhhh ... have the ... uhh ... uhhh ... uhhh ... talented ... uhhhhhhh ... young .... uhhhh ... uhhhhhhh .... MAN ... uhhh ... so .... uhhhhhh .... let's uhhhh ... uhhhhhh ... use ..... uhhhhh ... the .... uhhhh ... young .... uhhhhhhhh .... man ... uhhhh ... a ton .... uhhh .... yeah"

Worst move they made all offseason is signing that clown to an extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Common man... You being a Steelers fan should know that completion percentage is BS.

He was 29th in the NFL in yards per attempt with that 65% completion percentage behind guys like Lock, Minshew, and Trubisky. Not only that but 65% isn’t even that impressive it was 20th in the league. He couldn’t even crack the top half in completion percentage throwing bubble screens and 5 yard slants all game. 

I hear ya I'm just saying there are other factors, I mean its no different to me then when a qb goes down and then the D is basically going to stack the box on a RB. I just feel Ben while yes on his way out, had zero help to take a little pressure off 

Edited by Savatage79
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

When there is no legit run game , I really think it's going to just kill ya . But 33 tds with the worst run game in the league isn't bad. 

I think a 2nd or 3rd for najee isn't that far out of the equation,  hes definitely more gifted than a guy like Conner. But he's also lost likely going to be a 3 down back. 

Even with the garbage run game we've had lately, when Conner was healthy which was hardly ever , he was very productive at times. 

I think steelers when they want to commit to fixing elements of this team , will get it done.  

I'm ready to move on from Ben But I still feel the dynamics of no backfield threat, magnified the problems and made him look worse. Those defenses literally had not a thing to worry about backfield, so it was all on Ben to throw nonstop and Ds knew It was coming.  Plus our WRs I feel need a complimentary back to boost their game, they're good but not great, but can be alot better with a true threat in that run game to draw some looks. 

That's my 2 cents 

depending on how my draft is going I'd consider him in the 3rd round. I just don't think he's going to be there. I think typical rookie hype "3 down back" talk is going to push him to middle of the 2nd round or higher. I'm not willing to pay that so I won't end up with him there.