NBC Sports Edge Forums

4 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Williams is here as a vet who has a history with Nagy. Herbert probably won't take a snap this year, and Cohen is a 3rd down back.

Monty is the guy. He'll get 300 touches again this year.

you can be skeptical if you would like but just about everyone projects Najee with way over 880 rushing yards as a rookie. That would be vastly better than DMonty  was a rookie. 

I’ll bet against Montgomery getting 300 touches this season. 

Pittsburgh cut James Conner and have made it clear that Najee is the bell cow RB. That’s why PFF has him with almost 1,400 rushing yards, he is going to get almost all the work. There is a reason Najee will be drafted before David Montgomery in every league and every scoring.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

K197040's Dog 2021 Outlook

Steelers league worst offensive line just lost one of its better players. DeCastro released today. This offensive line is going to be a hot mess and I wouldn't draft Harris with one or YOUR draft pick

I don't know enough about Najee Harris to comment, at a quick glance, I'm significant higher on him that the general public.  It's early for me, but I'm currently looking at a ranking of RB12, top of

Posted Images

I know this is the Najee thread so I should state that I think he's got a substantially better outlook even this year than Montgomery, IMO. Great RBs have a way of finding production and Najee has that potential, plus he has a guaranteed workload barring injury. Montgomery's outlook for touches seems pretty murky to me, bc his targets will be down significantly with Cohen back and I've always thought Damien was an underappreciated, solid player.

That being said, my main reason for commenting is that I've never heard anyone mention Montgomery as being elite, or even a top 5 back in the league. PFF (which I know many follow closely) even ranks him at 13, which is far from elite. Safe to say that viewing him as elite is a contrarian view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, trilly said:

I know this is the Najee thread so I should state that I think he's got a substantially better outlook even this year than Montgomery, IMO. Great RBs have a way of finding production and Najee has that potential, plus he has a guaranteed workload barring injury. Montgomery's outlook for touches seems pretty murky to me, bc his targets will be down significantly with Cohen back and I've always thought Damien was an underappreciated, solid player.

That being said, my main reason for commenting is that I've never heard anyone mention Montgomery as being elite, or even a top 5 back in the league. PFF (which I know many follow closely) even ranks him at 13, which is far from elite. Safe to say that viewing him as elite is a contrarian view.

I'm aware I'm in the minority. David Montgomery is basically prime Leveon Bell. It's just that his QBs have stunk, his line has been meh, at best, and his coach has been uncreative with him, at times.

Najee might blow my expectations out of the water, but I wouldn't touch him as a RB1 this year.

14 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I'm aware I'm in the minority. David Montgomery is basically prime Leveon Bell. It's just that his QBs have stunk, his line has been meh, at best, and his coach has been uncreative with him, at times.

Najee might blow my expectations out of the water, but I wouldn't touch him as a RB1 this year.

Montgomery had 270 touches as a rookie with Cohen healthy and Mike Davis starting a couple of the first games so I could see him getting 300 still this year. Likely somewhere over 270 anyway. If the bears commit to him and utilizing him like they did at the end of the year he will be an RB1... but I don’t trust Nagy as far as I can throw him

Najee has talent and will be fed I think he’s clearly the better pick 

I been around playing fantasy now for over 20 years and I have to be honest,  while I've seen people worry about o lines for past players I have never seen a group of folks damn a team so badly to such lengths like folks around here has done with the Steelers o line, as if they don't even have room to grow and improve which they will even if it isn't 100% this year they will continue to build the line up, and you can't discount what Harris will bring, people are acting like this dude can't break tackles.

• Like 3

Like what's funny is we ******** SALIVATE over the next man up even on the shittiest of teams lol najee on the Steelers is going to pack a punch.

People keep harping on Ben and look I'm ready as well but I was more ready pre Harris, with Harris I'm alot more confident in Ben. I get the trend is to make blanket statements about him not being able to pass and I think that is such a weak argument. Ben has never been the deep baller, even back in his prime id always say how he just isn't anywhere near Manning or Brady on dropping those deep passes...not that he didn't or have great deep balls thrown but it wasn't his strong point. You look at his stats and he did just fine for 20 and 30 yard strikes in 2020. 

Ben with harris now has help,  true help, real help...so that imo will keep Ben more fresh thru the season.

People are over magnifying the issues and really pushing back way to hard , even tho the Steelers frustrate me at times they don't even just let things things by the wayside. 

The key is this line has more potential than last year and Harris will help the line and vice versa. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

I been around playing fantasy now for over 20 years and I have to be honest,  while I've seen people worry about o lines for past players I have never seen a group of folks damn a team so badly to such lengths like folks around here has done with the Steelers o line, as if they don't even have room to grow and improve which they will even if it isn't 100% this year they will continue to build the line up, and you can't discount what Harris will bring, people are acting like this dude can't break tackles.

It's not just the line. It's also the rookie factor. This dude has proven nothing. And he's a good prospect, but not Zeke or Barkley. Plus, this Steeler offense only runs thr ball to set up 15 consecutive passes. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

It's not just the line. It's also the rookie factor. This dude has proven nothing. And he's a good prospect, but not Zeke or Barkley. Plus, this Steeler offense only runs thr ball to set up 15 consecutive passes. 

Harris is easily in that conversation based on his last 2 years in college. And again you're just grasping at any straw you can,  they've passed more because they has no rb . Why doesn't that compute? When they had Bell they ran plenty,  having a legit back will bring back focal points to the running game.

I haven't thought about Najee for a while - but my opinion hasn't changed since the draft. With this QB/line/team he will be a RB3-worthy draft pick. If he'd gone to an ideal situation I'd value him higher, but on volume alone he's going to be ownable. There's too much downside imo with this offense for me to be much more positive than that about his outlook.

Would it surprise me if he winds up as a top-5 type back next year - yeah a little bit. But the skills and athleticism are there to where he could actually do that. There is too much risk with him imo to target in the first 3-4 rounds. My guess is I will therefore not get him, because there will be owners drafting him as their RB1 after locking in WRs and/or QB extremely early.

• Snell Week 1 + Conner Weeks 2-8 = mid-tier RB1
  • Then the offense tanked because Ben hurt his knee
  • Harris has more talent than Conner and Snell
  • Tomlin loves a bellcow

Everything else is just noise.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Harris is easily in that conversation based on his last 2 years in college. And again you're just grasping at any straw you can,  they've passed more because they has no rb . Why doesn't that compute? When they had Bell they ran plenty,  having a legit back will bring back focal points to the running game.

I’m a huge Najee fan. But I don’t think he is in the zeke, saquon level. Those guys were monsters and they knew it it’s why they performed the tests at the combines to show their superiority. I think they’re are real questions about najees speed and I think he knows it. 

That said he’s still a monster and if David Montgomery’s slow a** can run 80 yards for for a TD in the NFL Najee sure as hell can too. He a very underrated pass catcher he breaks tackles as good as anyone, he finishes off runs with force and gets extra yardage.

the Steelers know they were bad at running the ball they’re gonna fix it. Even if they just move up to 20th best running Oline the sheer amount of volume najee will get combined with his talent is gonna produce RB1 numbers. If ben wants to keep throwing 50 short passes a game then great najee will catch 6 passes a game too. I don’t really see a down side 

26 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

I’m a huge Najee fan. But I don’t think he is in the zeke, saquon level.

That's because he obviously isn't. Those were can't miss, generational, super high picks. Najee was a late 1st who would have most likely been a 2nd rounder if the Steelers weren't so desperate.

I'm not saying he's trash, but he's way closer to a Miles Sanders or David Montgomery level prospect, than damn Saquon. 

• Haha 1

If i'm picking at the end of the draft in a 12 team redraft, i'm considering him in the 1st/2nd round.  I have him ranked right around Joe Mixon and Ekeler.  I would definitely take him over guys like Akers and Gibson .  

On 6/2/2021 at 1:12 AM, ajs723 said:

That's because he obviously isn't. Those were can't miss, generational, super high picks. Najee was a late 1st who would have most likely been a 2nd rounder if the Steelers weren't so desperate.

I'm not saying he's trash, but he's way closer to a Miles Sanders or David Montgomery level prospect, than damn Saquon. 

Najee put up 50 TDs in 2 seasons  that doesn't just happen willy nilly. You're totally not a fan of the kid so we get it but you're going to be eating your words when this beast gets going .

On 6/2/2021 at 12:42 AM, Stonej14 said:

I’m a huge Najee fan. But I don’t think he is in the zeke, saquon level. Those guys were monsters and they knew it it’s why they performed the tests at the combines to show their superiority. I think they’re are real questions about najees speed and I think he knows it. 

That said he’s still a monster and if David Montgomery’s slow a** can run 80 yards for for a TD in the NFL Najee sure as hell can too. He a very underrated pass catcher he breaks tackles as good as anyone, he finishes off runs with force and gets extra yardage.

the Steelers know they were bad at running the ball they’re gonna fix it. Even if they just move up to 20th best running Oline the sheer amount of volume najee will get combined with his talent is gonna produce RB1 numbers. If ben wants to keep throwing 50 short passes a game then great najee will catch 6 passes a game too. I don’t really see a down side 

hopefully Najee isn’t like saquon or Zeke. I can’t hardly think of 2 more disappointing highly drafted RBs for the last 2 seasons.

As far as talent goes Najee has it in spades. Maybe the fact they didn’t have a combine contributed to the fact that Najee didn’t participate to perform up to your “beast” levels. 

for fantasy purposes Najee has everything that everyone loved about Barkley and Zeke as rookies. A workhorse role with almost no competition close to your talent level. Hopefully Najee is more dedicated and mature than Zeke and has healthier knees than Barkley but from a talent and opportunity standpoint Najee has everything you want in a RB1. A workhorse role with a coach who like a workhorse RB, goal line work locked up, and no competition behind you.

• Thanks 1

Also Glass James put up close to 1000 yards total and a half dozen tds in 13 games, behind that line.  For fantasy purposes, that isn't the worst you're going to find.  The point is tho that even with a garbage situation and a grade A mediocre rb  there was some production.

Fast forward 2021, they've actually made some improvements to that line to where it actually has some potential for growth.  Add in a monster like Harris who will be the bellow, and it's like what's not to love?

Long as he stays healthy I think he can be one of those guaranteed productive backs this season. 

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

As far as talent goes Najee has it in spades. Maybe the fact they didn’t have a combine contributed to the fact that Najee didn’t participate to perform up to your “beast” levels. 

Or because he’s slow and he knows it. Ppl who run true 4.4 usually like to show it off every chance they get. But I guess we’ll never kno now! None of it matters anymore let’s just draft him sit back and watch him dominate 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Najee put up 50 TDs in 2 seasons  that doesn't just happen willy nilly. You're totally not a fan of the kid so we get it but you're going to be eating your words when this beast gets going .

I mean, running behind the best O-line in the country certainly helped.

I don't hate Najee. I think he's probably the best overall back in this class. I'm just never betting on an unproven rookie RB to be my RB1. Especially if that guy is in as unfavorable of a situation as Najee. The only possible exception would be if that guy is a generational superstar picked at the top of the NFL draft.

CMC

Cook

Kamara

Barkley

Henry

Taylor

Jones

Ekeler

Elliott

Chubb

Akers

Mixon

Gibson

Montgomery

Carson

CEH

Dobbins

Jacobs

Not in exact order, but that right there is 18 guys with as much or more talent than Najee, a better line (no one in the league was worse than PIT), and without a crazy gunslinger QB and coach who like to throw the ball 20 straight times on a whim.

Najee would probably be in my next grouping with Swift and Miles Sanders. 

8 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Or because he’s slow and he knows it. Ppl who run true 4.4 usually like to show it off every chance they get. But I guess we’ll never kno now! None of it matters anymore let’s just draft him sit back and watch him dominate 

right, I’m sure he is scared to show people how slow he is.

i won’t mind watching him dominate.

39 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I mean, running behind the best O-line in the country certainly helped.

I don't hate Najee. I think he's probably the best overall back in this class. I'm just never betting on an unproven rookie RB to be my RB1. Especially if that guy is in as unfavorable of a situation as Najee. The only possible exception would be if that guy is a generational superstar picked at the top of the NFL draft.

CMC

Cook

Kamara

Barkley

Henry

Taylor

Jones

Ekeler

Elliott

Chubb

Akers

Mixon

Gibson

Montgomery

Carson

CEH

Dobbins

Jacobs

Not in exact order, but that right there is 18 guys with as much or more talent than Najee, a better line (no one in the league was worse than PIT), and without a crazy gunslinger QB and coach who like to throw the ball 20 straight times on a whim.

Najee would probably be in my next grouping with Swift and Miles Sanders. 

Everyone is entitled to opinions and sure I don't agree agree yours tbh but I really can't take you none to serious when you're putting najee in with Miles Sanders lol 

47 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Everyone is entitled to opinions and sure I don't agree agree yours tbh but I really can't take you none to serious when you're putting najee in with Miles Sanders lol 

I mean I have him ahead of Sanders, but that's his range.

I'm curious how many on my list you'd take him over and why?

In the list you have, I'd take him over Mixon (no better of a situation), Jacobs (obvious IMO), Montgomery, Dobbins, and Carson (injuries plus Penny healthy). Except for Mixon, it's hard for me to see any of the other guys there coming close to Najee's workload, if he stays healthy.

In PPR, I'd upgrade him too bc I think 50-60 catches is very doable. Clearly PIT recognizes they can't throw as much as they did last year and be successful, hence my expectation Najee is going to get WORK.

Lastly, I still believe talent can overcome a poor or mediocre line. He's not a generational talent, but high RB2/low RB1 is very achievable - a few of these guys always get hurt which will push him up too, if he avoids injury.

Everyone loves an RB that can hit the home run, but so many great RBs were mediocre speed-wise...both Emmitt and Walter had pedestrian 40s.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, trilly said:

In the list you have, I'd take him over Mixon (no better of a situation), Jacobs (obvious IMO), Montgomery, Dobbins, and Carson (injuries plus Penny healthy). Except for Mixon, it's hard for me to see any of the other guys there coming close to Najee's workload, if he stays healthy.

In PPR, I'd upgrade him too bc I think 50-60 catches is very doable. Clearly PIT recognizes they can't throw as much as they did last year and be successful, hence my expectation Najee is going to get WORK.

Lastly, I still believe talent can overcome a poor or mediocre line. He's not a generational talent, but high RB2/low RB1 is very achievable - a few of these guys always get hurt which will push him up too, if he avoids injury.

Everyone loves an RB that can hit the home run, but so many great RBs were mediocre speed-wise...both Emmitt and Walter had pedestrian 40s.

I like Mixon's situation better, but the two are very close. Tiebreaker for me is that Mixon has looked elite at times in the NFL. Najee is yet to take a snap.

Not sure why Jacobs is obvious, but okay. Maybe I'm too high on him.

Monty and Carson are proven NFL workhorse backs. Proven workhorse backs are better than unproven backs. Period.

Dobbins is interesting because he's clearly a great back, and his team runs all the time. But it's a committee. Wouldn't blame anyone for staying away, tbh. I wouldn't pass on the talent after what we saw last year though.

So to me, Monty and Carson are no-brainers, while Mixon, Dobbins, and Jacob's are debatable, I guess. We aren't that far off. You have him 15, I have him around 20. Regardless, there's no way he should be drafted as anything but an RB2. However, I'm willing to bet he's drafted as a top 12 RB in most leagues this summer. Maybe he lives up to that value, but I still think it's insane, on principle.

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

right, I’m sure he is scared to show people how slow he is.

i won’t mind watching him dominate.

A 4.6 forty yard dash and confirmation that he’s not that fast looks a lot worse than no forty at all. I mean he coulda ran at his pro day and didn’t. Mac jones did. Surtain did. 

if your actually fast you run the 40 and remove all doubt that your fast and help your draft value. If you’re not fast ya don’t run the forty so you don’t hurt your draft value... just saying. 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, ajs723 said:

"I mean I have him ahead of Sanders, but that's his range. I'm curious how many on my list you'd take him over and why?"

Talent-wise I would definitely have D'Andre Swift & Miles Sanders on that list. I'm higher on guys like Damien Harris & Zack Moss than most, but in fantasy both are much later options. To me, the guy that's on your list that doesn't even remotely belong there is Austin Ekeler. An undrafted down & distance guy out of ... Western State? Apart from that 90-catch season, that's what he's been. You have to hope that defenses over-defend the inside game & give up space to exploit on the perimeter. 

Kamara's another one... the sample size way too small but w/o Drew Brees he became the early down focus of every defense. He's another one who's great at exploiting space but always looked more like a finesse RB to me. If he now has to get them tough yards inside, I don't think that's happening. All I'm saying here is that I'd draft someone else early & take Harris than I would Kamara & someone else.