NBC Sports Edge Forums

Likely the 1st WR off the board and the consensus #1 WR deemed by the experts and dubbed as a “can’t miss prospect” Jamar Chase enters 2021 ready to be drafted early, maybe by the Cincinnati Bengals to rejoin him with Joe Burrow, who has lobbied the front office to make this move. Even if the Bengals decide to go with Penei Sewell it will only be a matter of minutes before Jamar will hear his name called, likely sooner than the allotted time for the Dolphins to pick at 6 or shortly thereafter. 

what can be said about him that you can’t gleam from his highlights? He is an explosive athlete who has unbelievably strong hands, I’m amazed at how strong his hands are, like D Smith has good hands, strong hands but I think Jamar just has a monster grip, everyone has heard all the superlatives and I think everyone would agree he would be dynamic and make Burrow or Tua look much better immediately 

***WARNING*** DISCLAIMER 

this is a highlight video, it is meant to display the subject in the best possible light. As @Boudewijnhas pointed out this video will not be showing his missed run blocking assignments or when he drops the ball,  it is merely for the viewers enjoyment to see what J. Chase has done in college but is in no way indicative of what he will do and or be in the NFL.

• Like 3

While I think Cincy should draft Sewell, I think the chances are just as strong that they build some good will with their QB1 and pick his college teammate.

I guess I can't fault them for that, a club like Cincy probably needs to pull out some tricks like that in hopes of making him happy and more willing to resign. And I also guess the argument could be made that the drop off from Sewell to the OT/OG they might draft in round 2 is not as great as the drop off from Chase and a WR they might draft in round 2. But, still, as good as Chase will be, he can't catch anything when Burrow is laying on the ground, post-sack.

• Like 1

The draft is loaded at OL. Cinci could easily grab Chase at 5 & grab an OL in rd 2 or even trade up into the back half of the 1st round for a guy like Darrisaw. Lots of options for them, can’t fault them for grabbing a potential generational guy in Chase, QB/WR college history/chemistry is just a bonus.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, smeeze said:

The draft is loaded at OL. Cinci could easily grab Chase at 5 & grab an OL in rd 2 or even trade up into the back half of the 1st round for a guy like Darrisaw. Lots of options for them, can’t fault them for grabbing a potential generational guy in Chase, QB/WR college history/chemistry is just a bonus.

It’s an interesting thought. Would leave Sewell, Smith or Pitts for Miami.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Ja'Marr Chase 2021 Outlook
On 4/23/2021 at 8:06 PM, smeeze said:

I’d rather grab the generational LT than the generational WR...if they’re both generational. 

• Like 1
Just now, Flyman75 said:

I’d rather grab the generational LT than the generational WR...if they’re both generational. 

I don’t think either of them are “generational”... “franchise” WR/LT seems more appropriate

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I don’t think either of them are “generational”... “franchise” WR/LT seems more appropriate

This. BTW in that case I still go for the tackle, by far.

Worst case you can always flog him to Houston and get a ton more picks.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

This. BTW in that case I still go for the tackle, by far.

Worst case you can always flog him to Houston and get a ton more picks.

Ah, yes

who doesn’t enjoy a good flogging?

• Haha 2

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Lions tried to trade up to the fourth pick in the NFL Draft in pursuit of LSU's Ja'Marr Chase. 

The Falcons' asking price for the fourth pick was too high, according to Fowler. This would confirm that the Bengals -- picking fifth -- will likely select Chase in Thursday's first round. Lions general manager Brad Holmes could still draft a high-end wide receiver prospect with the seventh pick -- perhaps Jaylen Waddle or DeVonta Smith. Any first round wideout who lands in Detroit would instantly become the team's No. 1 receiver and could fall into massive target volume with little competition for looks. 

Apr 28, 2021, 11:07 AM ET
1 minute ago, The G Man said:

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Lions tried to trade up to the fourth pick in the NFL Draft in pursuit of LSU's Ja'Marr Chase. 

The Falcons' asking price for the fourth pick was too high, according to Fowler. This would confirm that the Bengals -- picking fifth -- will likely select Chase in Thursday's first round. Lions general manager Brad Holmes could still draft a high-end wide receiver prospect with the seventh pick -- perhaps Jaylen Waddle or DeVonta Smith. Any first round wideout who lands in Detroit would instantly become the team's No. 1 receiver and could fall into massive target volume with little competition for looks. 

Apr 28, 2021, 11:07 AM ET

Not necessarily, right? All that confirms is that Chase will likely be gone before pick 7. Miami probably has Pitts and Chase, in some order, as their target.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

both corey davis and sammy watkins were on pace for phenomenal seasons last year:

• corey davis = 112 receptions / 1616 yards

• sammy watkins = 112 receptions / 1312 yards / 16 TDs

only thing is, these extrapolations are from september 15th.

if only their phenomenal seasons weren't cut short by mediocre performance.

Qc64mzb.gif

• Haha 4
9 hours ago, buckeye1982 said:

I heard his O/U yardage being discussed at 1,099. I love the prospect but I have to take the UNDER on that. 

me hittin' the book be all like ...

tenor.gif?itemid=15848535

• Haha 1
On 5/9/2021 at 11:08 PM, Boudewijn said:

*Calvin Johnson

Watkins may have a case (albeit not a good one) but Davis was nowhere in the same universe of a prospect as Chase

If you filter WR prospects for Chase's production (age adjusted with market share of team receiving yards), athletic testing numbers, measurables and top 5 pick overall capital, these are the only prospects that show up matching his prospect profile:

Andre Johnson: 8 Top 24 finishes, 6 Top 12 Finishes, 2 Top 5 Finishes

Braylon Edwards: 1 Top 24 finish, 1 Top 12 Finish, 1 Top 5 finish (a true one hit wonder)

Calvin Johnson: 8 Top 24 Finishes, 5 Top 12 Finishes, 4 Top 5 Finishes

AJ Green: 6 Top 24 Finishes, 4 Top 12 Finishes, 2 Top 5 Finishes (probably done though)

Julio Jones: 7 Top 24 Finishes, 7 Top 12 Finishes, 3 Top 5 Finishes (still counting)

If you loosen the filters and extend it to just 1st round capital (still keep the production, athleticism, size/measurables filters) you add these players to the list as lower end comps for Chase's analytic profile:

Odell Beckham Jr: 4 Top 24 Finishes, 3 Top 12 Finishes, 2 Top 5 Finishes (still counting)

DJ Moore: 2 Top 24 Finishes, 1 Top 12 Finish (definitely still counting)

Justin Jefferson: 1 Top 24 Finish, 1 Top 12 Finish (definitely still counting)

Dez Bryant: 5 Top 24 Finishes, 3 Top 12 Finishes, 2 Top 5 Finishes (done whether he admits it or not)

Amari Cooper could have qualified too if he had done all the athletic testing at the combine to give an overall Relative Athletic Score (but he didn't)

But yeah it's totally just all hype...

I hope my league members draft mediocre RB prospects over Chase.

I'd probably take the under on receiving yards as a rookie but I'd hardly feel good about it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1