NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kyle Pitts 2021 Outlook

Gutsy calls lead to championships.  Pitts will be in position to do historic things with this QB, coaching staff, and surrounding skill position players.

No Julio Jones is huge.

Enjoy the discount for a rookie TE, as they usually struggle.  The discount will be gone in 2022.

• Like 5

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Gutsy calls lead to championships.  Pitts will be in position to do historic things with this QB, coaching staff, and surrounding skill position players.

No Julio Jones is huge.

Enjoy the discount for a rookie TE, as they usually struggle.  The discount will be gone in 2022.

This has been the take since the draft-guess I’m willing to miss out

Nah, the take on draft day was that Pitts would be third in line for targets, at best, in addition to possible rookie TE struggles.

Now that Falcons have gone all-in on Pitts by sending Julio Jones to the Titans.

The Pitts era begins week 1.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Nah, the take on draft day was that Pitts would be third in line for targets, at best, in addition to possible rookie TE struggles.

Now that Falcons have gone all-in on Pitts by sending Julio Jones to the Titans.

The Pitts era begins week 1.

Probably so.   The #2 target on the Falcons.   Could easily have top 24  WR numbers if they use him primarily as a WR.   I've never drafted 2 TE but if I got Pitts in the 5th, I might consider a TE late and see what happens. 

• Like 1

I'm all aboard the Pitts train. In auction draft his price is still low, around 15-20 in mocks so far.  Nominate him late and it could be even less. People point out that Jonnu Smith got 60ish targets with Arthur Smith last year and that rookie TEs nearly always struggle---But Jonnu Smith isn't half the offensive weapon that Kyle Pitts is and the Falcons will be using Pitts more like a WR/TE hybrid.  Pitts will get funneled targets and have much of the playbook built around him.  A pass happy offense at Florida was already built around him and he tore up future NFL DBs and linebackers week after week.  Ryan has shown the ability to support two high end fantasy WRs, see Roddy and Julio and more recently, Julio and Ridley. He'll be a mismatch on DBs and nearly all linebackers.  

• Like 1

Is Pitts a TE in name only? Atlanta's current depth chart at WR is Ridley #1, Gage #2, and Zaccheaus #3. They have a solid TE in Hurst. Where is Pitts going to line up for most of his snaps? Pitts has the speed (4.44) to play anywhere and Gage and Zaccheaus aren't likely to scare defensive coordinators. How likely is it, that Atlanta lines up Pitts as a WR instead of a TE. Pitts was a popular #1 pick in TE premium rookie drafts. He'll lose value in those leagues if he becomes a WR. How Atlanta uses Pitts is yet to be seen, but should we be concerned about future positional eligibility?

1 hour ago, pan55 said:

Is Pitts a TE in name only? Atlanta's current depth chart at WR is Ridley #1, Gage #2, and Zaccheaus #3. They have a solid TE in Hurst. Where is Pitts going to line up for most of his snaps? Pitts has the speed (4.44) to play anywhere and Gage and Zaccheaus aren't likely to scare defensive coordinators. How likely is it, that Atlanta lines up Pitts as a WR instead of a TE. Pitts was a popular #1 pick in TE premium rookie drafts. He'll lose value in those leagues if he becomes a WR. How Atlanta uses Pitts is yet to be seen, but should we be concerned about future positional eligibility?

Yes, he's a TE in name only. In reality he is a Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones level receiving prospect. I don't think I'd be too concerned about his future positional eligibility because he is a top flight receiving prospect. He'll be one of the best in the league whether he's a WR or TE. Right now the TE designation is just a bonus and sends his value through the roof.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more, and that's why I'm going to spend whatever it takes to get him in my keeper league - I expect that in the next few years, he'll be putting up Kelce-type numbers. Just hoping I can keep his cost under $20.

1 hour ago, MJJ28 said:

Yes, he's a TE in name only. In reality he is a Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones level receiving prospect. I don't think I'd be too concerned about his future positional eligibility because he is a top flight receiving prospect. He'll be one of the best in the league whether he's a WR or TE. Right now the TE designation is just a bonus and sends his value through the roof.

This is my line of thinking as well. He wasn’t drafted to play the role of a traditional tight end. He will likely never be asked to be an in-line blocker. And the Falcons drafted him over Ja’Marr Chase, who is the most sure-fire WR prospect in a while. What does that make Pitts, the receiver that was higher on every draft board than the best WR prospect in a long time? The answer: The best receiving prospect in a while. 

There is a legit chance that Pitts owners will essentially be playing rookie Mike Evans in their TE slot.

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Calvin Johnson receiving prospect?

Mmmk…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

And Colston never played TE in the NFL. 

I read this too and scratched my head but I think he was saying that Pitts can be used like colston and not just a regular TE. But I could be wrong 

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Calvin Johnson receiving prospect?

Mmmk…

He pretty much is a Calvin Johnson level receiving prospect.  Blazing speed, massive size, incredible coordination, soft hands, incredible catch radius with his 6'9 wingspan.  Dominated college in the SEC against future NFL competition.  His comparison may seem hyperbolic but it's pretty much on point as Pitts is a bonafide top flight talent.

Edited by YoungDro

9 hours ago, YoungDro said:

He pretty much is a Calvin Johnson level receiving prospect.  Blazing speed, massive size, incredible coordination, soft hands, incredible catch radius with his 6'9 wingspan.  Dominated college in the SEC against future NFL competition.  His comparison may seem hyperbolic but it's pretty much on point as Pitts is a bonafide top flight talent.

As an athletic prospect I might agree with you. I believe kyles 40 time is closer to 4.5 than it is 4.44 since it was a hand timed pro day and not a laser timed one. Calvin Johnson ran a 4.38 laser time at 240lbs and Julio ran a 4.39 with a broke foot. 

As receiving prospects Calvin and Julio contributed as freshman. Calvin has 850 yards for the run first run second run third Georgia tech triple option teams and Julio won SEC freshman of the year. Kyle Pitts had 70 yards. I’m not saying Pitts isn’t amazing but the julios and calvins of the world are just on another level usually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

As an athletic prospect I might agree with you. I believe kyles 40 time is closer to 4.5 than it is 4.44 since it was a hand timed pro day and not a laser timed one. Calvin Johnson ran a 4.38 laser time at 240lbs and Julio ran a 4.39 with a broke foot. 

As receiving prospects Calvin and Julio contributed as freshman. Calvin has 850 yards for the run first run second run third Georgia tech triple option teams and Julio won SEC freshman of the year. Kyle Pitts had 70 yards. I’m not saying Pitts isn’t amazing but the julios and calvins of the world are just on another level usually. 

Check again. GT didn’t run the option offense until after Megaton was in the pros with Paul Johnson. Calvin Johnson played under Chan Gailey and the entire offense was tossing 50/50 balls to him while he was there.

Edited by PrestigeWW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PrestigeWW said:

Check again. GT didn’t run the option offense until after Megaton was in the pros with Paul Johnson. Calvin Johnson played under Chan Gailey and the entire offense was tossing 50/50 balls to him while he was there.

Ohh good call man. Sorry I was 13 at the time hard to remember that one. But still they only passed for 2200 yards as a team every year (far from prolific) and Calvin Johnson as a true freshman comes down with 850 of those Pitts never got above 800 yards (only played 8 games last year) 

I still agree that Pitts is a monster and probably going to be pretty good but to compare him to Calvin and  julio is just a small stretch still imo

• Like 1

It was Demaryius Thomas that was on a triple option team but was still a stud. 

I agree with Trilly, if his price stays down in auction I will try to get him and keep him for the next year.  If he gets up over 15-20 then I will prob pass.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, P@ckersFan said:

Colston was a designated TE as a rookie in fantasy at least on Yahoo.

Yes, but he never played TE. The guy you were quoting was talking about actual TEs, not pretend ones, lol. 

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Yes, but he never played TE. The guy you were quoting was talking about actual TEs, not pretend ones, lol. 

Interesting, I figured he must have been a TE at some point in his college career or with the Saints to get that designation.

See alot of the media pumping the brakes on Pitts, citing the "Rookie TE struggles", thing is Pitts is far from your run of the mill TE prospect. He's a unicorn. Add in the loss of Jones, and the fact they took him at 4 overall, even if they cut his hands off, they'd still force feed him the ball. Let alone, most rookie TE's struggle playing inline with the physicality, with them already having Hurst, he'll rarely if ever be inline, probably exclusively the slot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hart1331 said:

See alot of the media pumping the brakes on Pitts, citing the "Rookie TE struggles", thing is Pitts is far from your run of the mill TE prospect. He's a unicorn. Add in the loss of Jones, and the fact they took him at 4 overall, even if they cut his hands off, they'd still force feed him the ball. Let alone, most rookie TE's struggle playing inline with the physicality, with them already having Hurst, he'll rarely if ever be inline, probably exclusively the slot.

Ya I’ve been going back and forth on this. Initially I think he’s a TE and rookie TEs just don’t put up numbers. Even the ones just as athletic as Pitts like Evan engram and Vernon Davis didn’t.. but if the falcons do come out and use him more like a WR. And he has a far better qb that engram and Davis did I think he could put up similar numbers to What chase claypool put up in Pittsburgh. They’re almost identical players athletically, at best 2nd options on their teams. Chase scored 183 points in half ppr. Good enough for the TE3 most years And always top a top 5 TE. But it all depends on how they use him imo if he’s lined up next to a tackle 65% of the time I’m out on him. 

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Ya I’ve been going back and forth on this. Initially I think he’s a TE and rookie TEs just don’t put up numbers. Even the ones just as athletic as Pitts like Evan engram and Vernon Davis didn’t.. but if the falcons do come out and use him more like a WR. And he has a far better qb that engram and Davis did I think he could put up similar numbers to What chase claypool put up in Pittsburgh. They’re almost identical players athletically, at best 2nd options on their teams. Chase scored 183 points in half ppr. Good enough for the TE3 most years And always top a top 5 TE. But it all depends on how they use him imo if he’s lined up next to a tackle 65% of the time I’m out on him. 

Engram and Davis were both super fast - but were undersized at 6’3”. Both were also clearly tight ends and not being lauded as the greatest prospect at the position, and certainly not being compared favorably skill-wise to top wide receivers. This guy could just be a WR1 in TE clothing. Sure rookie TEs struggle all the time. But this guy isn’t really a TE. He’s basically Julio’s target-share replacement in a top 5 passing volume offense. 

• Like 4

My Pitts hot take us that his 2021 floor is Chase Claypool. Similar high volume pass offense with less competition for targets. Claypool is also a fringe WR/TE that went the WR direction. Shorter, smaller and less sure-handed - but went for 109 targets for 62 receptions 873 receiving yards for 9 receiving TD’s. 

Pitts is more gifted and talented, less raw as a rookie - and should get more targets than Claypool got.  The QB’s are normally a wash but Ryan should have a much better time getting the ball downfield than Big Ben did last year.  None of this is a knock on Claypool just a contrast.  Imagine Claypool’s fantasy point production at the TE position...It would translate to the #3 TE in 2020 and #2 in 2019.  I think Pitts will more likely be looking at 80/1,100/10 which is still the TE3 but definitely a gamechanger. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

My Pitts hot take us that his 2021 floor is Chase Claypool. Similar high volume pass offense with less competition for targets. Claypool is also a fringe WR/TE that went the WR direction. Shorter, smaller and less sure-handed - but went for 109 targets for 62 receptions 873 receiving yards for 9 receiving TD’s. 

Pitts is more gifted and talented, less raw as a rookie - and should get more targets than Claypool got.  The QB’s are normally a wash but Ryan should have a much better time getting the ball downfield than Big Ben did last year.  None of this is a knock on Claypool just a contrast.  Imagine Claypool’s fantasy point production at the TE position...It would translate to the #3 TE in 2020 and #2 in 2019.  I think Pitts will more likely be looking at 80/1,100/10 which is still the TE3 but definitely a gamechanger. 

Ya man you’re echoing my sentiments. Idk if Pitts is more gifted or talented than claypool I’m not a scout I don’t know the minutiae in the position but their physical attributes are almost exactly the same and Pitts definitely has less competition for targets and a better QB than claypool But i believe it all depends on if they actually use him as a WR or An inline TE. Chase claypool played 0 snaps at TE if he played 20-30% of them their id imagine he would have less yards and TDs than he did last year. If Pitts played all snaps at WR I’d imagine he looks a lot like AJ brown in Tennessee and is a cheat code on fantasy. If he plays 20% of his snaps at TE maybe he has claypool numbers which are still really great for TE. If he plays 50% of his snaps at TE maybe he’s just OJ Howard. 

• Like 1